• The KillerFrogs

REGIONAL FINAL: Frogs v. Wolfpack --- Monday Night Game Thread (7 pm)

Punter1

Raffy didn't like that HE was getting heckled as well...Screw Raffy.

He was my favorite player for 15 years, named my dog Raffy, and he disappointed me so bad with the steroids. I was so sure he was clean. He didn't need steroids with that swing.

Pharm Frog

I can't believe I actually read this but since I did I thought I'd post and share this insanity with you.  It all stems from a debate over at PackPride about who is ultimately responsible for calming players' nerves in stressful situations:  coach or players themselves.   Enjoy 50 Shades of weird....

You clearly have never played sports.  Did you hear the announcer (former MLB pitcher) talk about pitching in the World Series and having his glove shake from nerves?  No coach can "coach up" enough to make that disappear.  You have to calm yourself.  The errors, crazy balk calls, never on the mound, etc. lost that game.  The team just folded under pressure and allowed the game to get away from them.  When things aren't going your way, you have to calm yourself and not allow the bad calls, fans, etc. to get to you.
Oh, that right nostradmus?

1999, state basketball playoffs, up three points with the ball and 8 seconds to play, team's best foul shooter is double teamed, so the ball has to get in-bounded to the center to avoid the 5 second violation. He gets the ball just fine, but he's a 50% free throw shooter and knows he has to get rid of it, unfortunately there's only one other guy nearby even remotely open, and that guy was me. Gets me the ball, other team converges, foul. So here I am going to the line, up 3, 8 seconds to go, only need one to seal the game. Hands are trembling like Michael J. Fox on a Mediterranean ferry ride without his medication. Can barely hold the ball still enough to get into my routine. Let the first first one go and it's damn near a half foot short. No lift in the legs, too much fear and hesitation in the fingertips to even get it close. Pressure was totally getting to me. Coach calls a timeout. I figure he's going to give me some pep talk. But he's not even looking at me. No one is. I sit down and just fade out. I can't hear anything. Can't see anything except the blurred aura of the gym. Totally zoned out and unfocused, except on how I'm getting ready to piss off all my teammates by blowing a chance at the state championship. Then about halfway through the timeout this random super hot college chick in a low cut blouse taps me on the shoulder, she's standing above me and bending over so low to give me just the perfect sight line to see all her busty glory, she leans in even closer and says in my ear, "Hey, if you make this free throw I'm probably going to cream my panties. You want to help me cream my panties?" Then she winks and heads back to her seat in the stands. I'm completely dumbfounded by all this of course. Cause that **** don't happen in real life. This ain't Teenwolf. And I'm sure as **** ain't no basketball star. I'm not even a starter.Second or third guy off the bench. But damn. That chick was really hot. Buzzer sounds. Coach finishes the timeout. I haven't heard a damn word of it. No one says anything to me heading back to the floor. I look over my shoulder back at that chick, she's in her seat looking dead straight at me running her thumb and forefinger along the v-line of her shirt and softly biting her bottom lip, the other hand conspicuously placed in between her thighs. Can you guess what was on my mind? It sure as **** wasn't losing out on a chance to play for the state title. I sank the free throw, stole the inbounds pass, sank two more free throws, and we won the game by 6. I get out of the locker room and guess who's waiting for me. Or so I thought. Actually she was waiting for my coach. She was his niece. He put her up to it. It worked.  

Sometimes you can calm yourself. Sometimes you need help. Part of coaching is recognizing when your players need that help. Maybe your coaches just didn't give a **** and were happy to let you figure it out for yourselves, or maybe they just didn't have bangin hot nieces, don't know, what I do know is that any coach who is unaware that it's his responsibility--and his job--to constantly monitor/massage the mental awareness and emotional state of his players during a game is probably not a very good coach, and certainly shouldn't be getting paid millions of dollars for it. Now maybe Avent is aware of this, maybe he just sucks at it. Regardless, you can't blow a 7 run lead in two ******* innings without having a coach who's completely incompetent at recognizing his team melting down and knowing what to do about it.

OICU812

tcudoc said:
That would have made me way too uncomfortable.  I don't think that he should be heckled for something his father did.  Plus, Rafael was cool to give Scott and Wes and interview.
I see it both ways.  Rafy jr wasn't involved in his dad's steroid use, but cynically I doubt the apple falls far from the tree.  I try to view ALL my major life decisions through the prism of how it will affect my son.  Because I know they WILL affect him.  So instead of trying to cut off the natural outgrowth of his own actions, maybe daddy should just either stay away from the action, or alternatively, just spend lots and lots and lots of time apologizing for his own issues... Which, as far as I can recall, he never did, at least publicly.  'Merica loves to forgive, if a jerk apologizes.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Hoosierfrog said:
Just confirms that this was not a stellar Big 12 year and/or we just ran of of gas. Probably just as well we didn't have to go to Faggieland. Started worrying after losing 2 of 3 to K- State. 

Lots to look forward to with the  young talent here and those  coming in...
Me of little faith. What a shocker to wake up to!

Maybe I need to give up more often. Last time I did this we were done about 40 or some obnoxious number at BYU. The wife made me tour the Vanderbilt mansion in a foul mood in Asheville, NC and almost drove off a mountain road getting scores when they announced a "a phenomenal comeback in the MWC this afternoon..."

Young and Horned

Was looking on NCAA site for SR info and came across some stats for the playoffs. Looking at this graphic, I think it is pretty amazing how many of the top performers made it to the Super Regionals. http://www.ncaa.com/2015-college-baseball-tournament-statistics

For offense, looks like the top ten in HRs and Avg and the top nine in RBIs made it to the Super Regionals. 

For pitching, looks like 8 of top 10 in Ks and innings pitched and 9 of top 10 in Wins. 

fanatical frog

TCU'91 said:
Oh. BTW

ESPN....I didn't get to watch this incredible game because we all needed to watch a 0 - 0 ucla Maryland game.

My son and I listen to it on My phone in TN.

Next time you want my $$$

FO...!!!

Note to mods:     I want to "like" this post multiple times....please make it happen.

Realtorfrog

Whew,,,, what a game

Great atmosphere, crowd noise rattled them in the field and on the mound.

I have to believe our coaches pointed something out to the men in blue to look for from their pitchers. Balks aren't called that often

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Pharm Frog said:

You could be a very dangerous person to hang out with in Vegas...

With one out, a runner on 1st and a 7 run lead in the bottom of the 8th inning, the expected win rate is .99844.

(This data is from MLB games from 1957-2013, excluding 1999. There were 644 instances where this situation occurred. The visitors won 643 times) -- courtesy of WT101 from PackPride Forum
I wonder what the stats are with one on, two outs, bottom 9 with a pitcher with an era under 1?

Pharm Frog

Hoosierfrog said:
I wonder what the stats are with one on, two outs, bottom 9 with a pitcher with an era under 1?

Slightly higher than the same situation with nobody on (which is what we had prior to the walk)

Get Your Frogs Up

TCURiggs said:
Haven't read this thread, and I'm not going/don't want to, but what a comeback.

Me, MoneyFrog (rare poster), and PPD, actually got chided by a fellow Frog fan for heckling NC State's bullpen too harshly from the 7th inning on. We were in our seats for the first 6 innings, decided to head out to the patios to change the mojo, and got told by this woman in a neighboring patio that we needed to stop hammering their bullpen guys and just start supporting the Frogs late in the 8th inning.

No we don't. We won, ma'am. 

For the record, MoneyFrog may have gone overboard on the fat jokes to #50. No profanity was used though.

Bring it, you cultish Aggies.
Jaja. Same here. I made some comments I probably wouldn't otherwise 99 times out of 100 to some of those NCST relievers. I'm glad my wife and daughter left early because I would have absolutely embarrassed the boat out of them. Don't regret a thing, though - whatever we all did worked.

tcudoc

OICU812 said:
I try to view ALL my major life decisions through the prism of how it will affect my son. 
I stopped viewing things through prisms after I saw this
2632486-prisms_prisms_gay_rainbow_straight_demotivational_poster_1248291017.jpg

frogs9497

Rifram09 said:
I was thinking the same thing... I was specifically thinking this when we had 7 runs after the 8th. I first thought, "imagine if Riley hadn't spotted them 4 more runs to start this inning?" But then I decided NCSt got comfortable after they got up 8-1, which allowed some dumb mistakes snowball on them. They probably play sharper if the score is still 4-1 and we keep threatening.
It's all about strategy.

salamander

TCURiggs said:
Talked to some dude in the parking lot who said he got yelled at by Rafael Palmeiro for heckling his son with steroids talk. He got in his face and asked him how he would like it if he had a son who got heckled like that. This young bro apparently said, "Dude, I'm 25. I don't have a son and I don't give a boat." Haha
That TCU fan is sorry.