• The KillerFrogs

Record Town on University moving

MAcFroggy

The last 60 years of TCU students recognize this sign on university. It is crazy that this place has survived so long. Hopefully their business has picked up a bit now that vinyl has made a comeback.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article199480699.html

Record Town, one of the nation's oldest vinyl record stores and a survivor of 60 years of change in the music industry, is moving from its original South University Drive location.

It's changing hands, too. But the new owners say the Bruton family, which has owned the store since it opened in 1957, will retain a share of the store's ownership.

A "for lease" sign went up last week on the store at 3025 S. University Drive. Bill Mecke and musician-turned-real estate developer Tom Reynolds, both "Record Town people" for more than 20 years, have bought the store.

They are planning to move it to the Near Southside, on a new strip of retail locations attached to condominiums being built along St. Louis Street.

YA

There are already 2 vinyl stores on Magnolia--this will make it 3 within 2 miles of each other.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
The end of an era

I used to go to the TCU drug store, located where Flash currently resides, have a shake and then browse through the records at Record Town.

Mrs. Bruton was always there and on occasion, you'd see Stephen Bruton walk in. For those who don't know him, he was one of the best blues guitarists around and the list of bands / performers that he played with is a Who's Who of blues and music in general.

NRBQ, T Bone Burnett, Bonnie Raitt, Glen Clark, Rita Coolidge, Christine McVie, Elvis Costello, Delbert McClinton, Sonny Landreth and Carly Simon. He produced albums for Alejandro Escovedo, Marcia Ball, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Hal Ketchum, Storyville, Kris Kristofferson, Chris Smither, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and Hellbillies.

At least the name lives on and someone who seems to have passion for music on vinyl, has purchased it

BABYFACE

Those that grew up on MP3 may not be aware of the superior sound quality of vinyl matched up with true a high fidelity system. The newer movie surround systems are great for movies, not music. Not they are not hi fi imo.

My wife wonders why I have kept my Harmon Kardon receiver with Klipsch loudspeakers with a Technics direct drive turntable. I always tell her because the sound quality is superior. She also complains the speakers are too big. I still love my CD’s, but nothing beats that crisp analog sound from vinyl.

Chico Dusty

Those that grew up on MP3 may not be aware of the superior sound quality of vinyl matched up with true a high fidelity system. The newer movie surround systems are great for movies, not music. Not they are not hi fi imo.

My wife wonders why I have kept my Harmon Kardon receiver with Klipsch loudspeakers with a Technics direct drive turntable. I always tell her because the sound quality is superior. She also complains the speakers are too big. I still love my CD’s, but nothing beats that crisp analog sound from vinyl.

Well said!

Wexahu

My wife wonders why I have kept my Harmon Kardon receiver with Klipsch loudspeakers with a Technics direct drive turntable. I always tell her because the sound quality is superior. She also complains the speakers are two big. I still love my CD’s, but nothing beats that crisp analog sound from vinyl.

This is very true, but I think most of the people that are responsible for the surge in vinyl are playing records on those cheap portable things you can buy at Dillard's. They sound terrible. The best part of vinyl to me is the album covers.

BABYFACE

This is very true, but I think most of the people that are responsible for the surge in vinyl are playing records on those cheap portable things you can buy at Dillard's. They sound terrible. The best part of vinyl to me is the album covers.
I agree the artwork was awesome on the covers. Plus, some albums would have extra little goodies inside.

kidkarr

My wife wonders why I have kept my Harmon Kardon receiver with Klipsch loudspeakers with a Technics direct drive turntable. I always tell her because the sound quality is superior. She also complains the speakers are two big. I still love my CD’s, but nothing beats that crisp analog sound from vinyl.
Yep, cd’s started the poor quality trends by cutting the peaks and troughs off of the music to save space. Then came mp3 and more was lost. The tough part about records is having a quality system to play them on so you can hear those differences . If you hadn’t kept yours, they are hard to find.

tcumaniac

I have a small little vinyl collection from some modern bands I like and have seen in concert.

I have a pretty [ Finebaum ]ty record player that I got from Urban Outfitters that my wife liked. Looks pretty cool, but has built in speakers with subpar sound.

What do you vinyl purists use?

BABYFACE

Yep, cd’s started the poor quality trends by cutting the peaks and troughs off of the music to save space. Then came mp3 and more was lost. The tough part about records is having a quality system to play them on so you can hear those differences . If you hadn’t kept yours, they are hard to find.

Yep. If one has to start from scratch to acquire that system, very expensive.

Chico Dusty

My dad gave me his system he bought in Japan during Vietnam - it’s in mint condition - receiver, turntable, speakers. I have it in storage and waiting to bust it out when I get a bigger place. I’ve recently been buying records here and there - trying to build out a collection.

BABYFACE

I have a small little vinyl collection from some modern bands I like and have seen in concert.

I have a pretty [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty record player that I got from Urban Outfitters that my wife liked. Looks pretty cool, but has built in speakers with subpar sound.

Technics direct drive quartz turntable. I would look secondary market from good to mint condition. You can buy new, but that quality is going to be about $600.

Definitely go secondary market on a good receiver. Look for something from the 70’s, 80’s or 90’s. If want to go pure, go with an amplifier with a separate tuner instead of a receiver. Crown or McIntosh tube amp. Speakers are tough. Like vintage loudspeakers but still good new ones being made for an old style system but will be harder to find and more expensive.

You can go brand new on a system but it will be very expensive. To get the quality, it will be 5k plus. Can easily drop 10k. Mint vintage is the way to go. Pioneer and Marantz of the 70’s was very solid for the money. No digital readout. Stick to units that use VU meter, knobs, and leavers if you go the receiver route.

Maniac, ask your father or someone that had a high fidelity seperate component system for advice.

Last edited:

finafrog

I have a pretty [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty record player that I got from Urban Outfitters that my wife liked. Looks pretty cool, but has built in speakers with subpar sound.

vintage grundig.

Leap Frog

How about Sampley's Cleaners? They used to sponsor an amateur basketball team in AAU or somesuch.
It was either before or after the college season, and they would get the whole Frog team to play for them.
That was when TCU and Buster Brannon was winning SWC titles regularly-- and win for Sampley's too.

Brog

How about Sampley's Cleaners? They used to sponsor an amateur basketball team in AAU or somesuch.
It was either before or after the college season, and they would get the whole Frog team to play for them.
That was when TCU and Buster Brannon was winning SWC titles regularly-- and win for Sampley's too.

You're making me think of the Drug, right there on the corner. My budget year at TCU I could get a great breakfast there, at least I called it a breakfast, a bottomless cup of coffee and one of those cherry danish rolls warmed to crispy on the grill. Total cost: 15 cents, plus a nickel tip. Remember that they had a feisty waitress who once dumped a full glass of coke on one of our obnoxious student's head, and was cheered, not fired, for that.

Last edited: