• The KillerFrogs

Recent coach firings of some interest, maybe

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Spavital was interviewed yesterday by an Austin sportscaster. They asked him directly if he would be back next year. He looked kinda forlorn and said he would be back at work today...getting fired wasn't up to him. I think he knew what was getting ready to happen.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Familiar names on the list of Tulsa coaching candidates:

"As the University of Tulsa launches its search for a head football coach, here are a few of the names who could emerge as candidates:

Justin Fuente: A former Union and OU quarterback and formerly the head coach at Memphis and Virginia Tech.

Joe Gillespie: The former TU defensive coordinator now coordinates unbeaten TCU’s defense.

• G.J. Kinne: The Incarnate Word head coach is a former TU quarterback who was on the Hurricane roster as recently as 2011.

• Seth Littrell: The North Texas head coach was a football star in his hometown of Muskogee and a team-captain member of OU’s 2000 national championship team.

• Loren Montgomery: As the Bixby head coach, Montgomery built a dynasty that recorded 58-game win streak and this week bids for its eighth state title in nine years.

• Brennan Marion: A former Hurricane star wide receiver and current the receivers coach at Texas.

• Barry Odom: The Missouri head coach in 2016-19 and the Arkansas defensive coordinator since 2020.

Garret Riley: Lincoln Riley’s younger brother is the TCU offensive coordinator. At 33, Garret Riley and Kinne are the same age. Garret Riley previously was an assistant at East Carolina, Kansas, Appalachian State and SMU.

• Matt Wells: Wells was a Tulsa assistant in 2002-06 and for nine seasons was a major-college head coach (in 2013-18 at Utah State and in 2019-21 at Texas Tech). This season, Wells is an offensive analyst at OU.

• Holman Wiggins: Alabama’s wide receivers coach. In 2011, as a member of Bill Blankenship’s Tulsa staff, Wiggins coach the Hurricane H-backs. This year, Wiggins was the primary recruiter of Owasso receiver Cole Adams, who committed to the Crimson Tide after having considered OU and Arkansas as finalists."

froginaustin

Spavital was interviewed yesterday by an Austin sportscaster. They asked him directly if he would be back next year. He looked kinda forlorn and said he would be back at work today...getting fired wasn't up to him. I think he knew what was getting ready to happen.

Sad interview.

Eight

To me, it was much bigger when Whisky hired Cincinnati coach Luke Fickel. That sure does take the luster off Cincy moving to the Big 12 for us. They are a bad hire away from being the new Iowa State……

in some aspect, every program is a bad hire away from mediocrity, but i do agree that some programs have a bigger margin of error than other programs

Wexahu

Get those TCU assistant coaches a raise ASAP! And free tuition for their kids. And all the free HypnoToad swag their Ladies want.
If we have several coaches move on because they are moving up the coaching ladder, we'll have pretty much the pick of the litter of young, hungry guys to replace them. Not that I don't want to keep a few of the guys that I think are really good, but that's how this works.

We need to be a place where assistants come because they want to advance their career, not where they come because they want to get comfortable.

Eight

Get those TCU assistant coaches a raise ASAP! And free tuition for their kids. And all the free HypnoToad swag their Ladies want.

less worried about either of these jobs luring riley away and i think tcu's location provides a draw for gillespie

bigger concern for me this year is malcolm kelly

2themax

Make It Rain Money GIF

hometown frog

Got to keep Kaz, IMHO.
Agree. But I’m curious what other college level gig might be considered a ‘step up’ for a S&C coach than what TCU is now? He certainly hasn’t lacked in resources or commitment here. Sounds like the team fully bought into his program. What school would have the same commitment TCU seems to have in his world?

Eight

MK as OC someplace?

that i don't know as malcolm hasn't been coaching that long and i don't have any idea how involved he is in the development of game plans, passing game etc...

he has shown to be a good recruiter and the receiver play the past two years have taken a step forward

maybe a situation where riley took a head job where he would be running the offense and malcolm would be named oc and work under riley

bigger concern is a school with deeper pockets for assistants goes after him for recruiting reasons

do think this is a good situation to learn in if he does want to grow into an oc role or hc

Limey Frog

To me, it was much bigger when Whisky hired Cincinnati coach Luke Fickel. That sure does take the luster off Cincy moving to the Big 12 for us. They are a bad hire away from being the new Iowa State……

You don't invite a school to your conference because of their current head coach (or, at least, if you do, you're stupid). Their chances of getting a coach that good next time aren't very good, but the underlying reasons for which they were invited are still in place; they'll do fine and they're a great add.

HFrog1999

He knew what was up when he walked in to his office and saw Toby.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Limey Frog

less worried about either of these jobs luring riley away and i think tcu's location provides a draw for gillespie

bigger concern for me this year is malcolm kelly

As I and others (including you, I think) said in the off-season, we might have to get used to losing assistant coaches; it'll be stressful, but in the long-run far less stressful than never losing them. Evidence suggests that Sonny knows how to hire good ones to replace them.

That said, I'd rather just keep this staff completely in place if that's an option.

Eight

As I and others (including you, I think) said in the off-season, we might have to get used to losing assistant coaches; it'll be stressful, but in the long-run far less stressful than never losing them. Evidence suggests that Sonny knows how to hire good ones to replace them.

That said, I'd rather just keep this staff completely in place if that's an option.

agree and I do believe some time in the future kelly will move into a position with a bigger role or an assistant's position to a more appealing program be it a return to ou or a program that will pay more