• The KillerFrogs

Receiver play

TCUWIN

What's with the drops? We had a ton last year. Now they have begun to pop up again this year. We have higher rated receivers now than in the early 2000's, but we drop the ball at a higher rate. And the banishment of players that were big last year is odd. Williams and Austin were two of our leading td receivers, and now they barely play. Didn't seem like I saw dez White much last night. Tall receivers seem to kill us, but our tall receivers never come off the bench.

berryfrog95

Manning doesn’t play, Porter Tall (doesn’t play), Taj somewhat tall plays only on a 2-pt conversion- coaching is not working at this position it appears.
We’re gonna have to fling it around a bit at Tech down an RB...I hope something gets fixed.

Moose Stuff

Manning doesn’t play, Porter Tall (doesn’t play), Taj somewhat tall plays only on a 2-pt conversion- coaching is not working at this position it appears.
We’re gonna have to fling it around a bit at Tech down an RB...I hope something gets fixed.

Manning was hurt and is redshirting, Porter just hasn’t performed, no clue what the hell happened with Taj.

kaiser soze

Many posts talk about how deep we are at this position. I disagree.

Few reliable, consistent (across games) guys who run the right routes, block relentlessly and make plays when needed most. We've been signing the next great WR class the last few years. They need to show up in 2018 and produce.

W

Way of the Frog

Jaelen Austin is playing, has flashed at times, but a big factor if you only use catches as a metric of involvement in the offense if the Frogs just aren't throwing the ball as much as they did last year.

Some on this site won't accept it, but this offense has been tilted to the run game this year. If Kenny Hill threw it 50 times a game in the next three games he still would not have thrown as many passes this year as he did in 2016.

As far as the drops, better than last year, but still not good.

Wexahu

Many posts talk about how deep we are at this position. I disagree.

Few reliable, consistent (across games) guys who run the right routes, block relentlessly and make plays when needed most. We've been signing the next great WR class the last few years. They need to show up in 2018 and produce.

These things can turn around quickly with a different approach on offense and/or a different QB. I remember in 2013 it looked like we had virtually no real playmakers at WR and then in ‘14 and ‘15 it seemed like we had 10.

I firmly believe if you have a good O-line and QB, finding WRs and RBs that can make plays is not hard. Remember when OU was going to miss Perine, Mixon and Westbrook so bad?

We’ve got plenty of capable WRs on this team IMO. I’m much more concerned with our RB situation behind Anderson, not only for next year but the remainder of this year.

gpfrog03

I’m no expert and never played WR at a high level. That said, I’d like to hear from someone with more experience about the “catchability” of the ball 7 throws. On NFL breakdowns, former receivers talk about how much easier it is to catch a spiral that a wobbly ball. And 7 seems to throw more ducks than spirals. But again, would like to hear a deeper analysis.

#GoFrogs #BeatTech

ifrog

I’m no expert and never played WR at a high level. That said, I’d like to hear from someone with more experience about the “catchability” of the ball 7 throws. On NFL breakdowns, former receivers talk about how much easier it is to catch a spiral that a wobbly ball. And 7 seems to throw more ducks than spirals. But again, would like to hear a deeper analysis.

#GoFrogs #BeatTech

It’s pretty simple. If you can’t catch a catchable pass - it’s a drop. There is your deep analysis.

TRF51

I doubt every 4star wr we have on the team is a bust. I think the qb and the play calling might have something to do with it. I would like to see Robinson get a series or two and allow him to throw it. If we have a lead that would be nice to see. I get Hill gives us a better chance to win which I am not sure about.

Either way you slice it, players are not being developed

TCURiggs

I doubt every 4star wr we have on the team is a bust. I think the qb and the play calling might have something to do with it. I would like to see Robinson get a series or two and allow him to throw it. If we have a lead that would be nice to see. I get Hill gives us a better chance to win which I am not sure about.

How in the blue darn did the QB and play calling have something to do with those drops that hit our WRs right in the hands last night (and the last two seasons for that matter)?

ifrog

This wasn’t on Hill. Of all the games the same scheisss come out and blame it on Hill. How many interceptions? How many dropped balls? This was a team effort pretty much all of them sucked. Hill showed some heart . Unlike some of our scheissing posters

Horny 4 Life

How in the blue darn did the QB and play calling have something to do with those drops that hit our WRs right in the hands last night (and the last two seasons for that matter)?

Yeah, the QB had nothing to do with the drops. Our receivers need more time with the jugs machine. The QB does have everything to do with overthrowing open receivers though.

Sometimes KH makes a great throw and the reciver drops it (Austin last night) and sometimes the reciever is open and KH throws it poorly (Hicks a couple times in the flat last night). Both groups suffer from inconsistency and it shows in the final product.

KH has competed like a champion for us and he's certainly improved from last year. I appreciate the time and effort that takes and I hope he lights the field up to finish his TCU career. I'm also excited to see what next year brings at the position.