• The KillerFrogs

RA'SHAAD SAMPLES - crootin'

Moose Stuff

I went to games at Ohio State and Penn State this year. Yes, the atmosphere was great, mostly due to 100,000+ people being there. The school-produced game day experience? Marginally better than TCU.

The people make it great, not the side-show attractions. PSU did TShirt cannons for crying out loud.
I went to a game at A&M and would agree. I was very underwhelmed with everything about the in game presentation but the sheer amount of people. Tailgating was IMPRESSIVE.

OmniscienceFrog

I would imagine they are feeling the way we felt when Alabama took Fran. They finally got a taste of relevance for the first time in forever, and the guy that gave it to them booked at the first chance. Probably worse for them because I think everyone understood Alabama's place in college football relative to TCU, but losing that guy to your cross-town rival....that's gotta sting.
Alabama at the time Fran left for there was about like Florida St now, not Alabama now.

AustinFrog

Alabama at the time Fran left for there was about like Florida St now, not Alabama now.
It wasn't that Fran left. It was how he left.
TCU negotiated, in good faith, a new contract for Fran. He took that contract to the airport Hilton and handed it to Mal Moore, Alabama AD. He took the job having never been to the campus. He then threatens all the assistants to get on the plane or never coach again. He then wears his red tie to LT's Heisman. He then shows up to mug for the cameras at the Mobile Bowl. The assistants that went with him meet the team in Mobile. TCU docked their checks for the 2 weeks they missed in Ft. Worth. We later found out the assistants had no contract at Ala. They missed 6 months pay. Fran only took care of Fran.
That was how he left.

BTW, I heard from a source that he was on the TCU plane, on the TCU phone coming home from the Sun Bowl (year 1) trying to get Barry Switzer to recommend him for the vacant OU job.

JugbandFrog

TCU negotiated, in good faith, a new contract for Fran. He took that contract to the airport Hilton and handed it to Mal Moore, Alabama AD. He took the job having never been to the campus. He then threatens all the assistants to get on the plane or never coach again. He then wears his red tie to LT's Heisman. He then shows up to mug for the cameras at the Mobile Bowl. The assistants that went with him meet the team in Mobile. TCU docked their checks for the 2 weeks they missed in Ft. Worth. We later found out the assistants had no contract at Ala. They missed 6 months pay. Fran only took care of Fran.
That was how he left.

BTW, I heard from a source that he was on the TCU plane, on the TCU phone coming home from the Sun Bowl (year 1) trying to get Barry Switzer to recommend him for the vacant OU job.
Wasn’t one of our fullbacks schtooping Fran’s daughter?

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
That was how he left.

And now his legacy is basically nothing…Thanks for sharing those details, makes me have even less respect for him back then (I’m assuming he has regret now)

Spike

I went to a game at A&M and would agree. I was very underwhelmed with everything about the in game presentation but the sheer amount of people. Tailgating was IMPRESSIVE.
I will say this for Aggie. went 2 years ago to see Bama put on a clinic. They had people directing traffic numerous escalators to get you there. Our seats were the top corner of the end zone w a horrible view of the field but it only took a few minutes to get from the ground to the top. I didn't see 1 speck of Crimson outside of the designated visitor section seats. I was pretty impressed by the whole experience and they cheered loudly for their team well into the 4th quarter when Bama went up like 48 20.

Then the next weekend we hosted Texas and missed about half of the first quarter because their were traffic choke points and lines backing up where people were trying to get in on the southeast corner, then had to walk all the way around and all the way up the upper deck. Yes I should have left earlier but the stadium is not a user friendly place at all. Saw way too much orange in what should have been purple areas. Including the loudmouth next too me who couldn't believe his whorns were losing, like it was the 1980 US v Russians in hockey.

In those regards Aggie game day experience killed ours.

BABYFACE

Would be pretty difficult to predict the outcome of the upcoming season before pricing the tickets.

Would you then be ok with paying more for great seasons? I figure 2010 and 2014 should be $1000 per ticket.
CDC is pissed he didn’t think of that. $$$

Eight

Locally totals for 2017-2021:
5*: Texas=6, OU=5, a$m=5, TCU =1
4*: Texas=64, OU=69, a$m=62, TCU=22

Say only 25% are really thrive at that school, then Blue Chippers (4*+5*) .05 always rounding up:
Tex= 17
OU = 19
aggy= 17
TCU= 6

FYI 6 of the 22 started for the Frogs this year, but many more of those got good playing time. So I will stick with the 25%. Tex, OU and aggy almost have a full team on blue chippers. TCU has to "develop" players which takes time. So go, Sonny on your recruiting.

OH, and by the way 4* Johnston shoud have been 5* by his college playing, although he was a pretty high 4*.

i am confused what you are trying to say here.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
And now his legacy is basically nothing…Thanks for sharing those details, makes me have even less respect for him back then (I’m assuming he has regret now)
I've posted this before, but it is still astounding to me. This is a timeline of Fran's last week of employment with TCU, as told by Star Telegram sportwriters. Take special notice of the time stamps.

November 26, 2000, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Coach Fran must decide: renew vows or jilt TCU

JIM REEVES
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
POSTCARDS FORM THE LEDGE...

The contract is on the table. The numbers are definitely up to snuff. Now it's up to Dennis Franchione to decide whether he wants TCU and Fort Worth or not.

Inside sources say a new seven-year deal for Franchione, averaging $1 million a year or more, was presented to the TCU coach a week ago last Friday, the day before the Frogs destroyed UT-El Paso at Amon Carter Stadium.

Built into the deal were raises for his assistant coaches and a commitment to the new facilities Franchione has indicated he wants.

Everything, in other words, that should make him happy.

Now it's a matter of ego.

November 27, 2000, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Franchione: Top priority is TCU deal

ARTHUR GARCIA

Well, the regular season's over and the clock is ticking.

But this isn't a countdown to the GMAC Mobile Alabama Bowl on Dec. 20 against Southern Mississippi. It's to contract talks between Dennis Franchione and TCU, which are set to officially reach the negotiation stage.

TCU officials presented Franchione with certain parameters on a new contract Nov. 17 but said Franchione wouldn't begin to seriously address the deal until after the regular season, which ended with Friday's 62-7 thumping of rival SMU.

Franchione said Sunday that a new TCU contract is his "first priority," but he's not setting a timetable on coming to an agreement. The new contract offer is for seven years with a base salary of approximately $1 million annually. TCU has also promised improvements to Amon Carter Stadium, such as luxury suites and a new press box, and the construction of an indoor practice facility. Franchione's current deal runs through 2005.

"It's not like I feel like I have to get something done by Wednesday," he said. "It might take some time. The last negotiation took three weeks. I'm sure there will be a little give and take, and both sides aren't very far apart.

"I just need to sit back and look at [the proposed contract] and talk to my attorney to see just exactly which direction we're going to go in," Franchione said. "It's now up to me to counter, but they have made a nice offer. There are a couple things not quite where I want them, but everything is negotiable."

November 29, 2000, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Franchione nixes move to Missouri

Arthur Garcia

Scratch Missouri off the rumor list.

TCU football coach Dennis Franchione said he's not interested in the Missouri job and reaffirmed his commitment to come to terms on a new contract with TCU.

Franchione, citing his friendship with Alden, said "if [Alden] called, I would pick up the phone," but the third-year TCU coach finished the thought by denying any interest in the Missouri post.

TCU officials, with the aid of prominent boosters, presented Franchione a contract offer on Nov. 17 that would make Franchione one of the highest-paid coaches in college football.

Franchione, 25-10 at TCU, is set to take the Horned Frogs to their third consecutive bowl, a first in school history, on Dec. 20 against Southern Miss in the GMAC Mobile Alabama Bowl.

The seven-year contract proposal, which would replace his current deal, would guarantee Franchione at least $1 million per year. Only 14 college football coaches earn at least $1 million annually.

The proposed deal also includes incentive clauses for Franchione, raises for his assistants, improvements to Amon Carter Stadium, such as luxury suites and a new press box, and the construction of an indoor practice facility.

Franchione told the Star-Telegram on Sunday that coming to terms with TCU was his "top priority" and that both sides were relatively close to an agreement. Franchione reiterated as much Tuesday.

November 30, 2000, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Franchione finds rumors distracting

ARTHUR GARCIA

TCU fans aren't the only ones tired of the rumors swirling around their football coach. Dennis Franchione, 20 days away from coaching the Horned Frogs' biggest game of the season, wishes some of the craziness would just go away, too.

Sure, there's a measure of flattery when Franchione hears his name mentioned with every opening from College Park to Los Angeles. But when the pesky reporters (this one not included, of course) call day and night with pesky questions, Franchione's patience gets tested.

"It's a nuisance some days," Franchione said Tuesday while holding a mininews conference concerning his future.

In the past two weeks, Franchione has been linked to openings at Missouri, Arizona State, Southern California, Maryland and Alabama. Maryland filled its opening Wednesday with Georgia Tech offensive coordinator Ralph Friedgen.

And while Franchione acknowledges that rumors are a part of the business, he finds the energy devoted to talking about other schools draining. Especially when there is so much to do in his present job.

"It's hard to get work done," Franchione admitted.

November 30, 2000, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Bama has eyes on Fran
Tide AD to meet with Franchione

Gil LeBreton

With one strong feeler from Arizona State already tugging at him, TCU's Dennis Franchione will be offered the Alabama head coaching job at a meeting today with the Crimson Tide athletic director, an Alabama source confirmed Wednesday night.

Contacted Wednesday night, Franchione said he "couldn't confirm" the report.

December 1, 2000, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Franchione considering Alabama
TCU football coach to spend day or two thinking over $6-$7 million, 5-year offer from Crimson Tide

Arthur Garcia

TCU football coach Dennis Franchione said Thursday that he will spend a day or two considering an offer to become the next coach at Alabama, which has one of the most successful programs in college football history.

Alabama athletic director Mal Moore flew into Dallas/Fort Worth Airport with hopes of returning to Tuscaloosa with Franchione, but Moore left about 9 p.m. without Texas Christian University's coach.

"We just talked," Franchione said Thursday night. "I hope to have all of this stuff over with before the weekend."

Moore, who returned to Tuscaloosa about 11 p.m. Thursday, said he expects to hear from Franchione today.

Franchione and his wife, Kim, met with Moore at an undisclosed location. Franchione said he currently has no plans to travel to Tuscaloosa and visit the Alabama campus.

December 1, 2000, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Ambition will drive Fran to take ultimate challenge

RANDY GALLOWAY

There are those asking, why would he leave? Better question - why wouldn't he?

Yet a mere 48 hours ago, Coach Fran was publicly counting his local blessings.

He talked Wednesday morning about living in the best town anywhere. About working with and for the greatest of people. About having the full support of a university administration, including the high priests of academics.

And his family? Well, they'd seen a few towns along the football road, and they loved this one. A coach can't be happy unless the family is happy, and the family had found a home.

He was asked about the money. Sooner or later, it's always about the money. Coach Fran was blunt. "There is a current market value in coaching, and I didn't set that market value," he said. "But TCU has met it, and there is now no amount of money that will become a factor in my decision."

That made sense. TCU had ponied up. The school had talked it over, passed the hat, and delivered the big bucks. One million a season will make a man feel appreciated.

"I'm like a kid in a candy store," Fran said. "I get in the car, drive 15 miles in any direction and see 20 great high school players. What I'd been used to was flying for days and being gone for weeks to see 20 decent players. I said the day I got here, if we could just recruit North Texas we'd do extremely well. And that's why we've done well."

Why, Fran, are you going to leave this? Your next recruiting class is shaping up as your strongest ever. This is something that wasn't supposed to happen. And now you're leaving a recruiting mecca, Fran?

"Who said I was leaving?" he answered.

Everybody. Me included.

But Fran never blinked. "TCU, to me, had always been a diamond in the rough," he said.

December 2, 2000, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
TCU coach accepts Alabama job
Franchione will lead Horned Frogs in third bowl game

Arthur Garcia

TCU's Dennis Franchione accepted an offer Friday to become the Crimson Tide's 24th head coach.

Putt4Purple

Every ticket is $300. If you want better seats it gets more expensive because of the donation on top of it. But you can be in the stadium for $300. Some good seats are available at that price. Some really bad ones too.

Until I got seats in 102 I was in the south end zone for $300 per.

That was how he left.

I need to save this somehow. What a selfish A. Hole. Good riddance Fran.