• The KillerFrogs

Random Musing on Big 12 Thru 3 Weeks Updated Thru week 5

One Frog Nation

Kansas - whoa, hold the horses. The O has been great the D not so much, but boy what an improvement over the last decade. good win over Houston. you better put on your running shoes to win against KU this year.
OU - seems to be very good again but there seems to be something not quite right, I know the scores are as good as ever but I think they can be had this year. probably will lose 2
UT - there is an uptick here, played great against Bama but UTSA stayed with them until the end of the 3rd. Robinson is the realy deal. improved but Texas is not back. I can see them losing to OSU, BU, OU and one other
Tech - outplayed NC State but doomed by turnovers. big improvement here will surprise several teams this year. will go bowling good win over Houston as well. If they can control the turnovers they will do well
K State - Somethings just don't change they are good but not great can beat you any week or lose to you any week. Martinez is still the QB of Nebraska good runner but passing only so so. Vaughn is an excellent back
BU - only thing different about this year so far is that they only played 2 cupcakes not 3. QB is good not great but the D will carry them this year. plays Iowa State and OSU back to back. could lose both, but probably split
Iowa State - beat Iowa who is usually pretty good. cruised against teams they were supposed to beat. This week's BU game will tell a lot about both teams. I think Iowa State wins at home
OSU - could be the class of the big 12. Sanders is having a big year, wide outs are excellent as always rushing is good if maybe down somewhat
WV - will hang near the bottom. O is good but that D will kill them this year.
Frogs - Don't know. The SMU game will tell a lot. on the road against a good O with a good QB if there is no pressure on the QB this could be a long game. the smu d will bend can the frogs break it? it is just so hard to tell what TCU is this year, there has been no test at all this year.

It's 830 in the morning so nap time.

Last edited:

LVH

Nothing I have seen from our team the first 2 games leads me to believe we are any good. At best we are a 6, 7 win team. We are underdogs to SMU for the first time since 1998.

The rest of the Big 12 has their flaws(Kansas State losing to Tulane, Oklahoma State defense against Central Michigan, Oklahoma offense not as explosive against cupcakes, Kansas defense, West Virginia inconsistent, Texas Tech is just not good, Baylor QB has regressed, Iowa State inexperience, UT passing game woes), but I said this last year and we still lost games to said flawed teams. Maybe the flawed Big 12 can lead to said 6, 7 wins.

Moose Stuff

Nothing I have seen from our team the first 2 games leads me to believe we are any good. At best we are a 6, 7 win team. We are underdogs to SMU for the first time since 1998.

The rest of the Big 12 has their flaws(Kansas State losing to Tulane, Oklahoma State defense against Central Michigan, Oklahoma offense not as explosive against cupcakes, Kansas defense, West Virginia inconsistent, Texas Tech is just not good, Baylor QB has regressed, Iowa State inexperience, UT passing game woes), but I said this last year and we still lost games to said flawed teams. Maybe the flawed Big 12 can lead to said 6, 7 wins.
Nothing I’ve seen from any of your posts on other subjects leads me to believe I should give a scheiss what you think about our football team.

FinanceFrog

Nothing I’ve seen from any of your posts on other subjects leads me to believe I should give a scheiss what you think about our football team.

you ever wonder why you’re on a message board if you don’t care about what other people think?

kfc has turned into a strange place.

Frog-in-law1995

Caesar’s has it as a pick and MGM has us -1.

SoonerFrogs

TCU also won that game. And it was awesome, pepper spray and all.

Eight

Kansas - whoa, hold the horses. The O has been great the D not so much, but boy what an improvement over the last decade. good win over Houston. you better put on your running shoes to win against KU this year.
OU - seems to be very good again but there seems to be something not quite right, I know the scores are as good as ever but I think they can be had this year. probably will lose 2
UT - there is an uptick here, played great against Bama but UTSA stayed with them until the end of the 3rd. Robinson is the realy deal. improved but Texas is not back. I can see them losing to OSU, BU, OU and one other
Tech - outplayed NC State but doomed by turnovers. big improvement here will surprise several teams this year. will go bowling good win over Houston as well. If they can control the turnovers they will do well
K State - Somethings just don't change they are good but not great can beat you any week or lose to you any week. Martinez is still the QB of Nebraska good runner but passing only so so. Vaughn is an excellent back
BU - only thing different about this year so far is that they only played 2 cupcakes not 3. QB is good not great but the D will carry them this year. plays Iowa State and OSU back to back. could lose both, but probably split
Iowa State - beat Iowa who is usually pretty good. cruised against teams they were supposed to beat. This week's BU game will tell a lot about both teams. I think Iowa State wins at home
OSU - could be the class of the big 12. Sanders is having a big year, wide outs are excellent as always rushing is good if maybe down somewhat
Frogs - Don't know. The SMU game will tell a lot. on the road against a good O with a good QB if there is no pressure on the QB this could be a long game. the smu d will bend can the frogs break it? it is just so hard to tell what TCU is this year, there has been no test at all this year.

think you a on or near the mark on most of these teams

iowa has been terrible offensively early on so you really can't draw much from the isu defense based upon that game, heck south dakota state held them to 3 offensive points and cal poly dropped 20 on that sdsu defense

not so sure still on tech, houston is bad defensively so far this year, the question with tech and all these teams is how much do they improve over the season

frogs have not been tested in their last 6 quarters and dominated two teams that weren't good. did not expect any early tests and the frogs did what you expect them to do with overmatched defenses. have bigger concerns about the pass rush than any other part of the team, but don't think we have seen near the blitz packages

also don't think we have seen the offense scheme much to exploit opposing defenses. time to see what happens going forward

do agree on paper the two oklahoma schools appear to be the top, do believe texas is someone who is going to get better over the year and most likely a year away with that offensive line, and after that who can address their issues and maximize what they do well

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Patterson and his Staff were pantsed by Sonny and his Merry Band twice running. The first can be forgiven. The second is anathema.

That such a thing can happen twice speaks to the cleverness of Sonny's people in breaking down the Patterson defense and exploiting it. They can do that to anybody. It also speaks about their ability to motivate and spur players to do things they did not believe they could.

The Frogs have shown good tackling fundamentals, good blocking and cohesive line play, and very good skill position play. I don't see why this cannot continue.

There are a lot of familiar faces, but this is a wholly different team. We are measuring them by an old metric, one that no longer fits.

Of course, the best part is the old Bum Phillips quote coming to life: "He can take hissn and beat yourn, and take yourn and beat hissn."

Frogs1983

think you a on or near the mark on most of these teams

iowa has been terrible offensively early on so you really can't draw much from the isu defense based upon that game, heck south dakota state held them to 3 offensive points and cal poly dropped 20 on that sdsu defense

not so sure still on tech, houston is bad defensively so far this year, the question with tech and all these teams is how much do they improve over the season

frogs have not been tested in their last 6 quarters and dominated two teams that weren't good. did not expect any early tests and the frogs did what you expect them to do with overmatched defenses. have bigger concerns about the pass rush than any other part of the team, but don't think we have seen near the blitz packages

also don't think we have seen the offense scheme much to exploit opposing defenses. time to see what happens going forward

do agree on paper the two oklahoma schools appear to be the top, do believe texas is someone who is going to get better over the year and most likely a year away with that offensive line, and after that who can address their issues and maximize what they do well
If UT can get Ewers back, their passing threat will improve big time. Guy can sling it. Current UT QB not near the passing threat.

Eight

If UT can get Ewers back, their passing threat will improve big time. Guy can sling it. Current UT QB not near the passing threat.

the difference in arm strength is fairly noticeable and ewers isn't afraid to cut the ball loose while card just doesn't show that same level of confidence

a capable quarterback + bijan + worthy + the supporting cast at receivers + the potential of that young offensive line could result in a damn good offense the back half of the season

One Frog Nation

That was my post after the first 2 games of TCU's season. Time to update it.
Kansas - well not much to update. They are flying high at 4-0 with a big game coming up this week, more on that later. The D stepped up against Iowa State. Daniels was slowed down by ISU. They are real, exactly how real is yet to be determined but they are going bowling.
OU - Wow. Exposed. Frauds. The QB play is down, the WR play is down, the RB is down, the D, while never the strong point under Riley, is down. Was Riley leaving the turning point in OU history, will they become the next Nebraska. I think that there is a chance for that to happen. I love the OU fan in another post that said to send Gabriel to Russia as he is the only one that can overthrow Putin. They have 2 to 4 more loses coming.
UT - Well they beat up on WV, but I think that will happen a lot. I think they beat up on OU this week, but not like OU got beat this weekend. Ewers is back and still no one knows how good he is,, Again, like above, Robinson is the real think. There are cracks in the D and the O, they have lost 2 and can lose 2 more. But UT is a dangerous team and will can beat anyone in the conference on the right day.
Tech - Up and down. Smith is 3 games of 2 or more INTs and they lost 2 of them. They did beat Houston and outplayed NC State but lost, and the Texas game was just great (I hate to say that but true), They will be a difficult team to beat at home this year and we get them in Ft. Worth. I still think they go bowling and Tech has made a really good hire with the head coach. They will get better over the next couple of years
KState - They don't beat themselves often and the D is always steady. But they have shined with Martinez and Vaughn running. This is simple to say and hard to do but stop or slow down the running game and KState loses.
BU - not much different from the above comments QB play is ok, the O is ok the D is pretty good. Lost two already gets TCU at home but has back to back road games against Tech and OU late in the season. Will lose 2 more, anyway
ISU - A good team but the QB has tossed 6 INTs so far with more to come. They get KState and UT the next 2 weeks will be lucky to split. Campbell should ahove gotten out of town when he was hot.
OSU - Still could be the class of the conference. D is very good O is very good, Gundy knows how to win. Frogs get them at home this year and bedlam is on the road.
WV - still looking like the doormat. for a few seasons.
TCU - I said above we didn't know what we had at that time, and I am still not 100% sure. Are the Frogs really that good or is OU really that bad? Some combination of the two? How TCU does on the road against a resurgent KU team will tell a lot. My favorite view is TCU wins the conference and plays OSU in the champtionship game Dec. 3rd and beats them for the second time this year. but time will tell.

I tend to ramble on, but I hope we leave more teams dazed and confused like OU, that we give no quarter, that BU loses a heartbreaker and that the stariway to heaven leads to the conference championship game and the frogs can bring it on home. (a few Led Zep references that show my age)

ShreveFrog

Though it was Week 1, OK State gave up 44 to Central Michigan. Yeah, they might be at the top of BigXII, but hopefully we can win a shootout.

Palliative Care

One game at a time though I like the speculation. The offense is our strength but I am still unsure about the defense. OU quarterbacks were unimpressive to say the least. They were not going to win with the starter in the game but their backup is fourth sting here. There is just no way to tell about our defense yet. OSU is going to be the real test.