• The KillerFrogs

Question on UT's Patterson

Moose Stuff

I think part of Gary sticking with the same old coaches is Gary’s own demeanor. My take is only anecdotal- but from a couple of coaches in college football/ I’ve heard alot were saying the word was not to work under Gary. If that is largely true- then it’s part Gary didn’t have good choices of assistants/ and part Gary just sticking with guys he could abuse freely.
Yeah…. I can’t imagine why any decent coach would have wanted to work under Gary for very long outside of having really good job security.

Atom

I went to to the UT/Tech game and watched GP on the sidelines quite a bit. He had little interaction with the players (saw him once try to high five some players but they ignored him lol) but a lot of interaction with the coaches buzzing in their ears.

The worst part was no towel girl so he used his own shirt raising it up showing that keg.

And they lost

4th. down

Poor ole Gary, he just can't seem to let the water run off his back. He needs to be "seen." TCU's rejection wasn't what ANYBODY wanted - I know it was hard to take, but making a fool of oneself deserves pity.
As my momma used to say........"go stew in your own juices."

That statue ignited his ego and once that happened, he began his downward slope. It probably needs to be moved inside now,

HornyWartyToad

Max Duggan quotes from an article posted this morning:

“With Coach Riley, Coach Dykes, they do a great job of putting us in great plays, schematically putting us in successful spots,” Duggan said after the Horned Frogs embarrassed Oklahoma 55-24 last Saturday. “I think guys just came out confident in what we’re doing, kind of turn the page on all the past.”

Maybe Duggan is talking about the whole offense. Maybe he’s talking about himself. Judge for yourself.

“I think guys are just tired of losing, of being talked down on the last three years,” Duggan said. “We deserved it. We haven’t played very well the last three years, since I’ve been here. I think guys are just tired of it.”

WIN

Max Duggan quotes from an article posted this morning:

“With Coach Riley, Coach Dykes, they do a great job of putting us in great plays, schematically putting us in successful spots,” Duggan said after the Horned Frogs embarrassed Oklahoma 55-24 last Saturday. “I think guys just came out confident in what we’re doing, kind of turn the page on all the past.”

Maybe Duggan is talking about the whole offense. Maybe he’s talking about himself. Judge for yourself.

“I think guys are just tired of losing, of being talked down on the last three years,” Duggan said. “We deserved it. We haven’t played very well the last three years, since I’ve been here. I think guys are just tired of it.”

Think Max is talking about the whole program. That is a winner mentality..

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As others have noted, the wrath was being spread around to everyone including the players, who were only guilty of running the plays called. Evidently, at no time did the Head Coach look at himself in a mirror, and say "Maybe I'm doing it wrong." Nope. He was brilliant. Everybody said so.
The attitude and ego was sucking the life out of the very program he had built. Had he looked in that mirror, he may not have seen a reflection at all...

Wexahu

I’m hoping for Holgo as TCU analyst next year.

Don’t want to see him fired but if it happens…
Why?

IMO has guy has been a HIGHLY overrated coach his entire career. I know it would just be as an analyst, but still, not sure what the point of bringing him in for that role would be.

It's almost as if his stature is elevated around here because one time he gave our QB a cool low five.

HornyWartyToad

As others have noted, the wrath was being spread around to everyone including the players, who were only guilty of running the plays called. Evidently, at no time did the Head Coach look at himself in a mirror, and say "Maybe I'm doing it wrong." Nope. He was brilliant. Everybody said so.
The attitude and ego was sucking the life out of the very program he had built. Had he looked in that mirror, he may not have seen a reflection at all...
Yep- It was pretty evident that the last couple of years on the field, the players were just fed-up with being screamed at and belittled. I called this before the season started in the predictions thread, that we were going to see guys who were having FUN again playing the game they have loved their entire lives. The results are self-evident.
I don't want to sound like I'm unappreciative of where Gary brought the program, it's just that there has been this constant expression of cathartic relief from players, that they are no longer under the lash. You can see it from the older players especially, virtually every time they give an interview.
I think Sonny and his entire gang are the right crew, at the right place and time. I feel very good about the program's future, regardless of how we end up this year. (10-2)

TcuFrog1994

Yep- It was pretty evident that the last couple of years on the field, the players were just fed-up with being screamed at and belittled. I called this before the season started in the predictions thread, that we were going to see guys who were having FUN again playing the game they have loved their entire lives. The results are self-evident.
I don't want to sound like I'm unappreciative of where Gary brought the program, it's just that there has been this constant expression of cathartic relief from players, that they are no longer under the lash. You can see it from the older players especially, virtually every time they give an interview.
I think Sonny and his entire gang are the right crew, at the right place and time. I feel very good about the program's future, regardless of how we end up this year. (10-2)
Probably why Coach Dykes is always saying have fun. A direct result of feedback from the players.

Wexahu

Probably why Coach Dykes is always saying have fun. A direct result of feedback from the players.
I think Sonny's best attributes as a coach is that 1) he isn't afraid to surround himself with really good assistant coaches, the best he can find, and 2) he makes it about the players, and not himself.

Never met the guy and never been around him, but from the outside he seems like a guy that kids would want to play for. And I don't think he's a pushover at all, that's not what I mean.

82 Frog Fever

I’m hoping for Holgo as TCU analyst next year.

Don’t want to see him fired but if it happens…
Highly doubtful he gets fired.
If UH let Holgorsen go after this season, they’d owe him $19m. Not to mention he was hand picked as coach by the AD & Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta.
Starting next year UH will be a perennial B12 bottom feeder.

HornyWartyToad

Highly doubtful he gets fired.
If UH let Holgorsen go after this season, they’d owe him $19m. Not to mention he was hand picked as coach by the AD & Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta.
Starting next year UH will be a perennial B12 bottom feeder.
Tap the brakes on that last bit, wait and see. . . That's what we all thought when they were brought into the ol' SWC back in the 70s, and they proceeded to kick ass and take names. Seems like 3 shared or outright conference titles in their first 4 years, or something absurd like that. I could be a little bit mistaken there, but they were the farthest thing from the expected pushover.