• The KillerFrogs

Question on UT's Patterson

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Precisely.

I was a GP fan. I didn't want him to be ousted. He disappointed me in his "exit strategy" which was less a strategy and more of a temper tantrum. It was really uncool.

I still wish him well...and another job as HC. I don't believe he's a bad guy in any way.
Oh, I'm like you. I was a really big GP guy. And I don't wish him any ill will.
I just thought he handled a lot of things poorly, one was not going and finding new, fresh, sharp, up and coming young coaches, but rather sticking with the same stale old moldy bread. The other was his everyone is wrong but me ego.

I think he's a good guy deep down, but it was time for him to go, no doubt.

Horny4TCU

Oh, I'm like you. I was a really big GP guy. And I don't wish him any ill will.
I just thought he handled a lot of things poorly, one was not going and finding new, fresh, sharp, up and coming young coaches, but rather sticking with the same stale old moldy bread. The other was his everyone is wrong but me ego.

I think he's a good guy deep down, but it was time for him to go, no doubt.
This is my stance too. I really wish he would've left/retired the way he was supposed to. He was integral for the Horn Frogs and where we are today. But it's so evident that we needed the change and he'd lost control of the kids, when most of the same kids are still here and killing it. He needed fresh coaches, but was extremely loyal to a fault for the old crap he hired.

Endless Purple

Personally, I would like to see a unique situation where GP is hired as DC and Holgerson as OC (UH seems a lot like last year TCU). Then just hire a person for the head coach title at 500,000 only to be the recruiting/player babysitter and paper pusher. That lets the two coordinators just do football.

edit: not at TCU, maybe UH or someplace else.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Personally, I would like to see a unique situation where GP is hired as DC and Holgerson as OC (UH seems a lot like last year TCU). Then just hire a person for the head coach title at 500,000 only to be the recruiting/player babysitter and paper pusher. That lets the two coordinators just do football.

UC Davis. Take it back to where it all began...

HornyWartyToad

You could not have scripted a better beginning for Dykes and his assistants* Really enjoy hearing from his coach's and letting the players speak out.

N my book, those assistant r doing one great job. You can visibly see improvement every week from the kids .
Marcel Brooks quote from today's DMN:

Asked about the biggest difference for the TCU defense, linebacker Marcel Brooks said: “Having fun. Being able to think freely, think smart, be able to play fast. I’m never sort of dwelling on last year, I’m always about this year and able to accept the change we have right now.”

Eight

Asked about the biggest difference for the TCU defense, linebacker Marcel Brooks said: “Having fun. Being able to think freely, think smart, be able to play fast. I’m never sort of dwelling on last year, I’m always about this year and able to accept the change we have right now.”

brooks is one of those guys who i could see ending up signing a fa deal because of his athletic ability and making an nfl team on special teams

HornyWartyToad

brooks is one of those guys who i could see ending up signing a fa deal because of his athletic ability and making an nfl team on special teams
Seems like forever we've been waiting for him to bust out. Hope this is the year. I assume it's his last, but with all the crazy that's gone on around rule changes if you told me he had 5 left to play 4 at this point I'd believe you.

Moose Stuff

“Think freely” stood out the most to me. We CONSTANTLY looked confused on defense the last several years. It was unwatchable.

westoverhillbilly

Agree.. A young man we know was a walk on safety in the mid 2000s and said that Gary's defenses were not easy to understand and some kids with very good athletic ability didn't see the field as a result. It's great to see Marcel Brooks being productive and not wasted as our #10 wr. He played very well against OU when Hodge was disqualified.

Eight

Seems like forever we've been waiting for him to bust out. Hope this is the year. I assume it's his last, but with all the crazy that's gone on around rule changes if you told me he had 5 left to play 4 at this point I'd believe you.

not sure of all the why's as to brooks somehow not finding the field for the frogs defense prior to this season

would imagine as long as the wait has been for the fanbase it has been that tenfold for marcel

this is why i was so impressed with his comment about focusing on being a good teammate when he was out hurt instead of getting flustered by the injury. here is a kid who was highly recruited, played on the lsu defense as part of a national title team, comes back to ft worth, something(s) go wrong, moves to wide receiver, finally gets a real second chance with gillespie, is making progress, and then gets hurt.

instead of pouting and turning to self-destructive behavior he focuses on being a better teammate. hope he starts wrecking shop and still have my dream about the game in austin

LVH

Agree.. A young man we know was a walk on safety in the mid 2000s and said that Gary's defenses were not easy to understand and some kids with very good athletic ability didn't see the field as a result. It's great to see Marcel Brooks being productive and not wasted as our #10 wr. He played very well against OU when Hodge was disqualified.
Malcolm Williams is a great example. Extremely talented, but couldn't figure it out at safety. They tried him at corner, but his skillset didn't translate there. Only played on special teams, but his athletic ability alone was enough to get him drafted and a Super Bowl ring

froginaustin

Anywhere but TCU.

smufrogger

This is my stance too. I really wish he would've left/retired the way he was supposed to. He was integral for the Horn Frogs and where we are today. But it's so evident that we needed the change and he'd lost control of the kids, when most of the same kids are still here and killing it. He needed fresh coaches, but was extremely loyal to a fault for the old crap he hired.
I think part of Gary sticking with the same old coaches is Gary’s own demeanor. My take is only anecdotal- but from a couple of coaches in college football/ I’ve heard alot were saying the word was not to work under Gary. If that is largely true- then it’s part Gary didn’t have good choices of assistants/ and part Gary just sticking with guys he could abuse freely.