• The KillerFrogs

Question about our team Drs.

tcufrogprince1

So Football and Basketball have now had nightmare injury seasons and repeated injuries. Do football and basketball share the same medical team? If so, is the school looking for a different sports medicine Dr./team? This seems to be a reoccurring problem. If the players keep getting injured and reinjured, why are we going to stick with the same medical professionals? Thoughts? Im specifically talking about diagnosis and return to play not just physical trainers.

AustFrog

I've had similar questions given the rash of injuries we've had, really across all 3 major men's sports in the past few years. I've wondered if we don't have too much of an old school approach. Like night of champs; yes our guys post amazing benches, squats and cleans, but are we doing that at the expense of flexibility, core and speed training? I know for FB the S&C team and training team have been there for some time now, at least the leadership. You ask about docs. IDK who they are or how long they've been with us. We tout things like our cryo chamber, but I wonder if we are as current/cutting edge with our knowledge and techniques as we are with equipment. I've no answers but I think its a legit question for our docs, S&C teams and training teams. The injuries have just been unreal.

HFrog1999

tenor.gif

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I have to second AustFrog. The percentage of players injured is far and away beyond what other programs suffer, at least to my eyes. IIRC we didn't even have enough scholarship players to fill out the starters by the end of the season. That's horrendous, and after three straight years (Or is it five?) of the injury list being longer than the healthy list, what is being done to change this?

As pointed out, the balance between weight training (strength, muscle buildup) and flexibility drills (keeping joints and muscles loose to avoid tearing) is an unknown to those of us on the outside. I have no idea what the training regimen is. What I do know is that there are a helluva lot more injuries than what is normally to be expected, and it is only logical to conclude that the training regimen has something to do with it.

Yeah, I know the S&C Coach is a well-respected, much loved guy and all, but there comes a time when you have to ask, what the hell?

jake102

Two other theories (total guesses)

1) It's an attitude issue as much as bad luck. For whatever reason, there's an attitude among players to sit out whenever the smallest injury/discomfort shows up. One player has that attitude and it goes to another and another... etc.

2) Potentially in combination with #1, the Listenbee thing has basically eliminated the ability of our coaching staff to tell guys to play through it. If someone says they are hurt, coaches tell them to sit.

tcufrogprince1

I agree. Even beyond that it seems like we have players returning too soon and getting injured again and again. Maybe they dont want to stir the medical pot with the lawsuit still going on? I think they need to do a top to bottom evaluation from Drs., S&C and medical affiliations.

Until I see some reliable data I just don’t believe the number of player games lost to injury at TCU is outside the bell curve. My belief is that because we pay close attention to this team it just seems worse. The Frogs May have had a bit worse luck in who has been injured but overall I’m going to need some evidence before I indict the medicos

tcufrogprince1

1) It's an attitude issue as much as bad luck. For whatever reason, there's an attitude among players to sit out whenever the smallest injury/discomfort shows up. One player has that attitude and it goes to another and another... etc.

2) Potentially in combination with #1, the Listenbee thing has basically eliminated the ability of our coaching staff to tell guys to play through it. If someone says they are hurt, coaches tell them to sit.

I would agree if it wasnt for the fact that several of these injuries are more than just a bruise or a sprain. That would be an attitude issue. The injuries are much more serious than just sitting out because of an attitude.

tcufrogprince1

Until I see some reliable data I just don’t believe the number of player games lost to injury at TCU is outside the bell curve. My belief is that because we pay close attention to this team it just seems worse. The Frogs May have had a bit worse luck in who has been injured but overall I’m going to need some evidence before I indict the medicos

At least one qb per year has been injured since Dalton. That is not normal and I am also talking about the injuries suffered across the board in all sports.

jake102

I would agree if it wasnt for the fact that several of these injuries are more than just a bruise or a sprain. That would be an attitude issue. The injuries are much more serious than just sitting out because of an attitude.

Always going to have real injuries, every team does. I worry more about the 10 guys who basically sat out spring for unknown dings... but who are totally fine and will be 100% in the Fall.

Billy Clyde

TCU has what seems like a pretty decent school of nutrition. I'd love to see those students plugged into helping design individual programs for athletes tailored to their specific needs and goals. Does anybody know if that's done now? I realize that doesn't directly address the injury situation, but it sure seems like it could play a significant role in overall fitness and health of these guys.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
So Football and Basketball have now had nightmare injury seasons and repeated injuries. Do football and basketball share the same medical team? If so, is the school looking for a different sports medicine Dr./team? This seems to be a reoccurring problem. If the players keep getting injured and reinjured, why are we going to stick with the same medical professionals? Thoughts? Im specifically talking about diagnosis and return to play not just physical trainers.
Docs are pretty much the same for all sports. Trainers and strength and conditioning staff may be different

East Coast

Tier 1
It doesn't seem to me that we suffer more than our share of injuries during games. We might find something by looking at the type and frequency of our practice injuries, then taking the most frequent and figuring out if there are any commonalities in the circumstances surrounding them. We could find something related to certain drills, the practice facilities, etc...

I would hope we've already done this..

Bizarro Frog

It doesn't seem to me that we suffer more than our share of injuries during games. We might find something by looking at the type and frequency of our practice injuries, then taking the most frequent and figuring out if there are any commonalities in the circumstances surrounding them. We could find something related to certain drills, the practice facilities, etc...

I would hope we've already done this..
Yes it seems most all of our guys get hurt in camp or practice. I can only recall a few that were injured during the game.

Leap Frog

Here is my take on injuries-- and I have watched Frog football for many semesters:
Players who weren't that great in high school, but busted a gut to get somewhere, never seemed to get hurt.
I'm talking Baugh, O'Brien, Berry, Swink, Aldrich, Floyd, Lilly etc. All- Americans all, They laid it out every play.
But some, no names mentioned, came with oodles of ability, took a play off here and there. Injuries seemed to follow.
Maybe I'm way off, and hope I am, but it's just my observation. Coincidence possibly, but don't think so.

Limp Lizard

Yeah, players from Bama play on that destroyed knee or broken femur. These are injuries that keep the players out during games, nut bruises.
but something is wrong, and not the attitude.