• The KillerFrogs

QB depth chart

Borat Sagdiyev

QUOTE(East Coast @ Aug 7 2010, 04:28 PM) [snapback]608841[/snapback]
I don't remember hime playing against OU either. He did play in the Bowl game against Boise in 2003. I think he led a TD drive, but then managed to get himself into the doghouse in 2004...

I do not remember him playing against Boise in that bowl game. I think you are thinking of Kyle Kummer. He came in after Hassell went down for a little bit.
Kummer also started a game against Army in 2004.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Borat Sagdiyev @ Aug 7 2010, 11:34 AM) [snapback]608845[/snapback]
I do not remember him playing against Boise in that bowl game. I think you are thinking of Kyle Kummer. He came in after Hassell went down for a little bit.
Kummer also started a game against Army in 2004.

After looking at that list again, that list if off. I remember we played 60+ players in that game. There are a lot of missing names.

If he did play against OU, it would have only been because Gunn was hurt, because we were never ahead enough to substitiute for no reason.

ricksterh

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Aug 7 2010, 03:56 PM) [snapback]608828[/snapback]
Most coaches say things like that. It never happens as much as they make you think it will. There are not that many offensive possessions in a football game. Not scoring on 1 or giving up a turnover just to grow up a QB can really be costly. I can't think of alot of teams that really developed a #2 QB when there wasn't a controversy.

imo if the backup isn't able to get the job done isn't it better to find out earlier in a game rather than at the end and maybe the coach needs to try the next guy. And playing a qb early in the game can but is alot less likely to affect the outcome of a game than down the stretch at the end of a tight game.

I was a backup player in basketball on some teams and was able to be more effective if I got some playing time rather than being cold on the bench and thrown into a tight situation at the end of a game.

You are right that most coaches don't do that but imo they should. One of the best at that that I remember was Bear Bryant. :biggrin:

Borat Sagdiyev

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Aug 7 2010, 04:40 PM) [snapback]608848[/snapback]
If he did play against OU, it would have only been because Gunn was hurt, because we were never ahead enough to substitiute for no reason.

I will be you any amount of money you are willing to lose that Ballard and the entire 2nd string O-line were all in there together.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Borat Sagdiyev @ Aug 7 2010, 11:42 AM) [snapback]608851[/snapback]
I will be you any amount of money you are willing to lose that Ballard and the entire 2nd string O-line were all in there together.

Well, I never said you were wrong, I just don't remember him playing. I do think he came into a couple of games late prior the BYU game, but there's no official record of his participation vs OU. That doesn't mean anything, he just may have not attempted any passes or rushes.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
There should be a few games early where the backups can get a couple of series' worth of quality snaps. Tennessee Tech comes to mind immediately, but depending on how well we are rolling, Baylor, CSU and Wyoming might be good opportunities as well.

57Frog

Actually that is wrong. I know Ballard got at least some snaps against OU in the first game.

Actually I was referring more to the SMU game in which Gunn was injured and ineffective ,as I saw it .
I am not in any way dissing Tye Gunn . I was and am a fan of his .
If I recall right ,Ballard got snaps against OU only when Gunn went down with the tail bone injury . Then Tye came back and finished the game . Tye was tougher than a boot and a real gamer .

Borat Sagdiyev

QUOTE(57Frog @ Aug 7 2010, 05:26 PM) [snapback]608860[/snapback]
Actually I was referring more to the SMU game in which Gunn was injured and ineffective ,as I saw it .
I am not in any way dissing Tye Gunn . I was and am a fan of his .
If I recall right ,Ballard got snaps against OU only when Gunn went down with the tail bone injury . Then Tye came back and finished the game . Tye was tougher than a boot and a real gamer .

Never thought you were dissing on Tye. I was just making the point that Ballard actually had a snap or two that wasn't in garbage time before the BYU game.

As for the SMU game, I don't recall Tye being hurt, so I'm not sure if anyone took a snap besides him. Could be wrong though.

Gunner

QUOTE(don @ Aug 7 2010, 03:45 PM) [snapback]608822[/snapback]
I asked GP about that at the press conference on Wed. Should be on the video on GoFrogs.

Depth is stronger now than ever before. Expect to see more liberal subbing.

I told ya'll after spring training, Pachall was the next QB. He's a pro prospect and he's not going to be held back by this coaching staff. It's lunacy to talk of Brown, he's still light in the britches.

I think Burks might be the best pure LB of all. But the coaches think not. But he and Gardner are top backups, to say the least. Cain too is a hoss.

All this depth means good special teams. And this is very important.

Horny4TCU

Isn't it nice to have this kinda problem at QB?

Who will be #2 behind our awesome qb? Is it that other awesome qb, or the other, ah and we have this other awesome one over here....

Never would have guessed that. All I know is they better get playing time so they don't transfer!!! However, I had a class with Yogi this past semester, wouldn't mind he left... (real smart-....)

Frogo

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Aug 7 2010, 09:54 AM) [snapback]608807[/snapback]
I am just playing about Brown, he's one of the new guys and everyone knows the new guy is the best....

. . . .

Be careful about that, Feisty. Some of us ALWAYS take you seriously.

Pinkyfrog

Hopefully whoever has the best rapport with the team, I think any of them will be solid backups, maybe Gallegos will turn into the next Marcus Jackson, who I wouldn't trade for any QB at any school, having a solid team player as a backup is so much better than having some star player who just wants the lead QB to be sat or graduate.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(Portland Frog @ Aug 7 2010, 07:04 AM) [snapback]608780[/snapback]
Which QB will separate himself for #2 or will Gallegos and Pachall be interchangeable?

Dalton
Pachall
Brown
Gallegos

To answer the man's question.

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Aug 7 2010, 09:56 AM) [snapback]608828[/snapback]
<br />Most coaches say things like that. It never happens as much as they make you think it will. There are not that many offensive possessions in a football game. Not scoring on 1 or giving up a turnover just to grow up a QB can really be costly. I can't think of alot of teams that really developed a #2 QB when there wasn't a controversy.<br />

There were plenty of blowouts aginst UT's worthless schedule for Mack to insert Gary Gilbert. His focus was on getting Dolt a heisman and it blew up in his face and on the team. Mack chose an individual over the team. What is new.

Prolly a blessing in the end for horn fans. Bama would have maintained intensity for the entire game and it would have been like that Cotton Bowl against Miami.Dolt's alleged injury saved him millions. Back to back debacles against NU and Bama...

He owes his daddy for pulling the plug.

57Frog

There were plenty of blowouts aginst UT's worthless schedule for Mack to insert Gary Gilbert. His focus was on getting Dolt a heisman and it blew up in his face and on the team. Mack chose an individual over the team. What is new.

That's the way I saw it .

gdu

note: yet another thread that had NOTHING to do with texas and people here just couldn't help but bring them up. You guys are too funny sometimes.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
QUOTE(tcugdu @ Aug 8 2010, 09:21 AM) [snapback]609025[/snapback]
note: yet another thread that had NOTHING to do with texas and people here just couldn't help but bring them up. You guys are too funny sometimes.

note: a thread about backup quarterbacks and the importance of quality playing time. a prime example of the potential consequences was the faceplant by the Whorns in last year's MNC game due to this lack of PT. you are too predictable sometimes. they're not my Horns. :biggrin:

gdu

QUOTE(PurplFrawg @ Aug 8 2010, 10:23 AM) [snapback]609037[/snapback]
note: a thread about backup quarterbacks and the importance of quality playing time. a prime example of the potential consequences was the faceplant by the Whorns in last year's MNC game due to this lack of PT. you are too predictable sometimes. they're not my Horns. :biggrin:

If that was the primary point of bringing it up, the post would've been alot different.

Portland Frog

QUOTE(FrogByBirth @ Aug 7 2010, 11:48 PM) [snapback]608934[/snapback]
Dalton
Pachall
Brown
Gallegos

To answer the man's question.

Thanks!

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
You don't pull a redshirt off Brown to be the 3rd stinger especially because he is 170 pounds dripping wet, Yogi is pleanty capable to be a 3rd stringer, Pachall will be the backup

Latest posts