• The KillerFrogs

QB Battle - I'm confused by KF reactions

texas_sicilian

I wasn’t implying that GP has no desire to throw the football but if Delton wins the job, this will be the second year in a row that GP and Cumbie will have chosen Feet talent over Arm talent. That would indicate that the running factor or escapability as GP likes to say means a little more to this offense than pushing the ball downfield.

Certainly a true dual threat is the best of both worlds. GP as defensive guy has built his reputation confusing and pressuring QBs and so I have no doubt he sees the highest value in a guy who’s legs can get himself out of trouble. It could turn out that Delton is a poor mans Jalen Hurts. But if that passing game can’t pull its weight by stretching the field some then we are in for some frustrating Saturdays.
We were spoiled with Boykin because he truly had both.

If you could only pick one, you kind of need an accurate passer with a strong arm a little more than a shifty runner at QB.

texas_sicilian

The under told story is that Cumbie is on the hot seat. Gary won’t come out and say that but he does judge performance in 2year increments. I think Cumbie will make decisions that will show an improvement in the offense / and I think that includes a much shorter leash than Shawn TO Robinson had last year.
And that’s the other reason Delton will be the likely pick. He may not take us to the promise land, but he’s a much safer bet for a winning season.

If your butt was on the line, would you play the long game and take the chance on a true freshman?

ThisIsOurTime

And that’s the other reason Delton will be the likely pick. He may not take us to the promise land, but he’s a much safer bet for a winning season.

If your butt was on the line, would you play the long game and take the chance on a true freshman?
When has GP showed a willingness to go with a younger guy over a vet at QB? I don't think it matters if it is a hot seat situation or not. They have been conservative in this area in the past. If anything, I would think they might be quicker to make a move this year if they don't feel they are getting sufficient production from Delton or Collins. I fully expect us to see platooning at QB anyway. Delton is always going to get at least some snaps because of his ability to run the ball even if some other QB really shines.

Wexahu

We were spoiled with Boykin because he truly had both. If you had to pick one, you kind of need an accurate passer with a strong arm a little more than a shifty runner at QB.

One thing I think that gets overlooked is QBs don’t come out of the game like other players do. QBs that rely so much on their legs are often cooked by the 2nd half. And that’s when the mistakes happen. Heck, if a running back breaks off a couple 20-yard runs they usually need, and get, a break for a few plays. QBs have to stay out there.

If I’m a DC, I wouldn’t get all worked up about a QB beating you with his legs a few times. It’s deflating for sure, but let them keep having to do that, it’s not sustainable over a 60 minute game.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
One thing I think that gets overlooked is QBs don’t come out of the game like other players do. QBs that rely so much on their legs are often cooked by the 2nd half. And that’s when the mistakes happen. Heck, if a running back breaks off a couple 20-yard runs they usually need, and get, a break for a few plays. QBs have to stay out there.

If I’m a DC, I wouldn’t get all worked up about a QB beating you with his legs a few times. It’s deflating for sure, but let them keep having to do that, it’s not sustainable over a 60 minute game.
Really?

Army? Navy? Air Force? Every wishbone team of the past?

I don’t think Gary loves a QB that can run, I think Gary loves a true dual-threat QB that make an opposing DC have to figure out how to stop not only a traditional running and passing game, but also the non-traditional QB running game. As a DC, Gary understands how hard it is to defend that extra wrinkle in an offense. And it’s true, when you have a QB who has a great arm and good legs, it’s a betch to defend.

What doesn’t scare anyone though, Gary included, is a fast QB who can’t throw a lick. And I think that’s what a lot of Frog fans are worried about with Delton (myself included). We keep hearing that he’s impressed/surprised the coaching staff with his throwing ability, and I’m hoping like hell it’s true, but color me skeptical based on what I saw at KSU. What I saw wasn’t a guy who was just a victim of his offensive system, I saw a guy who lacked the physical ability to pass the ball at an elite level.

I understand he can make up for some of that with his legs, but if I have to choose between an elite arm or elite legs at the QB position, I will take an elite arm all day long. Being mobile is a fantastic bonus.
I think this is such a good post that I should say so instead of just giving you a like.

Wexahu

Really?

Army? Navy? Air Force? Every wishbone team of the past?

Totally different deal. I don’t think GP is worried about QBs that run downhill at the line of scrimmage in the option wishbone, It’s the freelance guys who beat him with their legs when he has everything covered. That type of running takes more out of a guy IMO.

asleep003

Totally different deal. I don’t think GP is worried about QBs that run downhill at the line of scrimmage in the option wishbone, It’s the freelance guys who beat him with their legs when he has everything covered. That type of running takes more out of a guy IMO.
... ? ...

Peacefrog

Degenerate
What? How does freelancing take more out of you than rushing 20+ times a game? Boykin had it harder than Eric Crouch and would have been more tired?

Your argument, unless I’m missing something is that a running QB would be cooked by the second half. Those were your words. But the evidence isn’t there for that assessment. Tons of QB’s throughout history have run plenty - hell Vince Young didn’t look “cooked” in the national championship game. And that’s one example. Michael Vick, Pat White, Denard Robinson, Dennis Dixon, Cam Newton, I could keep going.

y2kFrog

Maybe we will start rotating QB's like we do receivers. This place will go apocalyptic.

Horny4TCU

Our best seasons have been with QBs that are able to read a defense and execute the option. Gunn, Dalton, Boykin, and '17 Hill.

SR, '16 Hill, Pachall, Ballard, Hassell, and Jackson were all pretty bad at reading a defense, let alone knowing when to keep it and run.

In this off season, I hope we can identify a mobile QB with a little accuracy to keep defenses honest.

Pharm Frog

I don’t think Gary loves a QB that can run, I think Gary loves a true dual-threat QB that make an opposing DC have to figure out how to stop not only a traditional running and passing game, but also the non-traditional QB running game. As a DC, Gary understands how hard it is to defend that extra wrinkle in an offense. And it’s true, when you have a QB who has a great arm and good legs, it’s a betch to defend.

What doesn’t scare anyone though, Gary included, is a fast QB who can’t throw a lick. And I think that’s what a lot of Frog fans are worried about with Delton (myself included). We keep hearing that he’s impressed/surprised the coaching staff with his throwing ability, and I’m hoping like hell it’s true, but color me skeptical based on what I saw at KSU. What I saw wasn’t a guy who was just a victim of his offensive system, I saw a guy who lacked the physical ability to pass the ball at an elite level.

I understand he can make up for some of that with his legs, but if I have to choose between an elite arm or elite legs at the QB position, I will take an elite arm all day long. Being mobile is a fantastic bonus.

Gary should love the wheel route and the shallow cross and a pass-catching TE then if he values what is most difficult for his defensive mind to stop. But I think we’re far too focused on CGP and the QB position. If history holds, it will be Cumbie’s decision who starts and unless CGP has extreme reservations, that’s who it will be. Because none of our other coaches get oxygen with public comments, we tend to think CGP is making all of the decisions. He didn’t use to and I have no reason to think that’s started. And yes...that means who starts at QB. I guarantee that CGP decides who starts at S and DE and LB and such.

tcudoc

Did anyone else get fooled by the thread title to wonder if James Battle had returned for his final years of eligibility?

Eight

Our best seasons have been with QBs that are able to read a defense and execute the option. Gunn, Dalton, Boykin, and '17 Hill.

SR, '16 Hill, Pachall, Ballard, Hassell, and Jackson were all pretty bad at reading a defense, let alone knowing when to keep it and run.

In this off season, I hope we can identify a mobile QB with a little accuracy to keep defenses honest.

frogs haven't been an option offense in years. boykin ran move on scrambles than called runs and the zone read was not a staple for the run game under the doug and sonny show for two years and then since sonny has been the guy.

4th. down

Our best seasons have come with QBs who can make multiple reads and confidently throw over the middle of the field.

Seems easy, but evidently not. We need a field general like Ty Gunn (when he wasn't injured), Jeff Ballard, Andy Dalton, and Bram. We get that, and we have a good year.

Eight

sonny has emphasized that the key to being the starter coming out of fall camp is being consistent, not trying to force things because of limited reps, and the decision won't be made based upon on play or one practice.