• The KillerFrogs

Punting Stats

PO Frog

Not so great - 114th in the county in net punting at 34.84. Also, OU has only punted 12 times. Amazing

I am now convinced that GP puts the governor on his punters and refuses to let them boom it. I know Sandy can because I have seen it on tape (unless he is a great college scam artist video doctorer) and that stocky guy we had a while back that had a shorter average every year he was in the program. Don't make no sense

Froggish

Not so great - 114th in the county in net punting at 34.84. Also, OU has only punted 12 times. Amazing

I am now convinced that GP puts the governor on his punters and refuses to let them boom it. I know Sandy can because I have seen it on tape (unless he is a great college scam artist video doctorer) and that stocky guy we had a while back that had a shorter average every year he was in the program. Don't make no sense
I feel like outside of a few bad punts, Sandy has generally pinned folks ok..Distance hasn’t been there but I wonder where opponents have had starting field position

Moose Stuff

Makes perfect sense. If he punts it further that’s just more yards for the defense to give up on the ensuing scoring drive. Shorter punt = shorter drive = better defensive stats. Sure it’s absurd, but admit it, right now now you’re thinking to yourself “wellllll.....I mean it’s Gary, so yeah.... it’s not..... yeah, maybe”.

4th. down

Makes perfect sense. If he punts it further that’s just more yards for the defense to give up on the ensuing scoring drive. Shorter punt = shorter drive = better defensive stats. Sure it’s absurd, but admit it, right now now you’re thinking to yourself “wellllll.....I mean it’s Gary, so yeah.... it’s not..... yeah, maybe”.

It's just another case of blah, blah, blah thru spring and fall on how great Sandy was and could really boom them but when the whistle was blown, not so fast. More GP, more misdirection, more sleight of hand. Kinda like Delton, all world thru spring and fall but when the whistle sounded......you know the rest but he's playing saturday for sure.

I will say this though, game time and practice time are not the same as we all know, so maybe GP was just saying what he saw - hopefully, that's the case. One thing for sure, he doesn't talk about Collins anymore.

Last edited:

jake102

Yeh I’m in camp GP misdirection rather than GP limiting the distance. I think he obviously prefers to not out kick the coverage, but more to do with quality of kicker

netty2424

Was it SMU that was kicking low line drives right over the players heads? Was that an attempt to keep it away from Reagor? Or has SMU been utilizing that style of kick all season?

East Coast

Tier 1
One thing Gary consistently does is ruin punters. That’s why almost every punter we have had has gotten worse as his career goes on. He prefers high short kicks with little chance for returns then actually covering longer kicks effectively. He also consistently kicks with a short field with the intent of pinning the opponent down inside the 20.

Eight

you need to look at those numbers a bit closer.

his gross average is 37.36 so a net average of 34.84 is pretty freaking good.

second, he has 10 punts downed inside the 20 and only 3 touchbacks.

finally, i agree with berryfrog that a number of those punts have near mid field. the average point on the field when tcu has punted this year has been their own 42 yard.

here are the numbers that really boggle my mind. 7 of the frogs 25 punts have been on the visitors side of midfield and 5 of those 7 have been on the visitor 40 or inside the visitor's 40 (actually 4 of the 7).

PO Frog

I actually watch the games and there aren’t any boomers being kicked. It’s not like every single kick is on a short field (although the number of those we have is embarrassing in and of itself from a coaching perspective). He has had plenty of opportunity to crush one and has yet to do so but for a decent one against Kansas. Fight me