• The KillerFrogs

Punting on 4th down with 6 minutes to go

Wexahu

Probably for the same reason most schools don’t toss out their winningest coach. UT with Royal, Bama with Bryant when they went stale. We are probably more akin to K State when Snyder stopped winning. It’s just a bad look to toss out your iconic coach. Remember, GP could’ve taken other jobs and showed tremendous loyalty and won. There’s a stadium and all kinds of newness at TCU that can be directly related to GP’s success. I understand the it’s not what you’ve done for me, it’s what have you done for me lately sentiment, but I’m just trying to recall the last time an iconic coach that turned a program around was fired.

Not saying it’s right or wrong, just saying it doesn’t happen much.
I’m not 100% sure Gary could’ve taken any of the real good, high profile jobs out there. He could’ve made a mostly lateral move, sure.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I hear you, but managing to how UT handled things 60 years ago is not where we need to look, the world moves much faster and we can't bounce back in a year or two like Bama or UT. We need to hold on to the talent we have on hand. When you have a coach that is coaching to keep his paycheck and not to trying to win...you are dealing with someone with sociopathic behavior that means he is making decisions only for himself. This will result in people jumping ship and he will run this program into the ground. It will be VERY difficult to come back from that.

Conclusion: you have to rip off the bandaid now before you're left will a toxic culture and leftover talent because the rest left. Gary's threat that players might leave is Gary just trying to set up an "I told you so" before it happens...a classic behavior from the person trying to play hero. He knows things are falling apart, but wants to keep the cash cow in operations while the fire burns underneath.

I understand. But it’s not just UT 60 years ago. Nobody does this. I’m not saying we should care, but TCU would get roasted by the media. I can see the headlines, TCU Fires Messiah That Resurrected Program The Ashes.

I think history has proven it is hard to win at TCU. Maybe new blood would work, maybe it wouldn’t. I just don’t think TCU is getting rid of its winningest coach. Whether it’s right or wrong is up to others. I just don’t think he gets fired. More likely that the money guys go to GP and talk him into retirement?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I’m not 100% sure Gary could’ve taken any of the real good, high profile jobs out there. He could’ve made a mostly lateral move, sure.
High profile or not there were plenty of people sniffing and he could have gone elsewhere if the stories in the media were accurate.

Pharm Frog

I understand. But it’s not just UT 60 years ago. Nobody does this. I’m not saying we should care, but TCU would get roasted by the media. I can see the headlines, TCU Fires Messiah That Resurrected Program The Ashes.

I think history has proven it is hard to win at TCU. Maybe new blood would work, maybe it wouldn’t. I just don’t think TCU is getting rid of its winningest coach. Whether it’s right or wrong is up to others. I just don’t think he gets fired. More likely that the money guys go to GP and talk him into retirement?

Don’t give a single crap about what headlines are written. They are gonna write whatever gets them clicks and it’s forgotten immediately. Maybe it is hard to win at TCU. Figure that’s the case in the vast majority of places. And maybe it’s too hard now for GPs approach

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Don’t give a single crap about what headlines are written. They are gonna write whatever gets them clicks and it’s forgotten immediately. Maybe it is hard to win at TCU. Figure that’s the case in the vast majority of places. And maybe it’s too hard now for GPs approach

Im not sure it matters what you think. If the school and big money guys don’t care, then something might change.

Eight

who cares about the headlines and history only proved it is hard to win at tcu when you don't have facilities and resources compared to your conference peers. when OUT leaves for the SEC who is the big fish we can't compare with facility and resource wise?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Im not sure it matters what you think. If the school and big money guys don’t care, then something might change.
You've been here long enough to realize that the Big Money Guys are all scarred by the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I don't think there's a one of them that doesn't realize that things are slipping, and that they have been slipping for a while. GMFP can gladhand, and reassure them that we're thisclose to being there, but we just need a little time, grow em up, etc. That wears thin after you've heard it for three years running.

These Big Money Guys didn't get Big Money by being patsies: They made hard decisions. Worked like hell. And they did so in a tough-assed world. When they come to the determination that this is The End with GMFP, we'll know. And so will he. And I believe that time is swiftly approaching.

East Coast

Tier 1
who cares about the headlines and history only proved it is hard to win at tcu when you don't have facilities and resources compared to your conference peers. when OUT leaves for the SEC who is the big fish we can't compare with facility and resource wise?
Gary has been given everything he has asked for, except maybe??? the last couple of years. That he hasn't been able to maintain consistent 8-10 win seasons is all on him and his staff, not the administration. Especially since the board, big donors, and AD seem content to let Gary run the program however he wants.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I‘m guessing universities in general must care because you just don’t see schools firing iconic coaches. I’m not saying it is right or wrong, I’m just saying you don’t see it. You’re right about facilities. We have great facilities. But we still have to recruit against the same schools. I’m not arguing that things haven’t become stale. All I’m saying I think it is more likely GP is convinced to retire than him getting fired.

Eight

I‘m guessing universities in general must care because you just don’t see schools firing iconic coaches. I’m not saying it is right or wrong, I’m just saying you don’t see it. You’re right about facilities. We have great facilities. But we still have to recruit against the same schools. I’m not arguing that things haven’t become stale. All I’m saying I think it is more likely GP is convinced to retire than him getting fired.

you don't think a new staff couldn't recruit to the facilities at tcu?

agree gary will walk before he gets fired, but when you talk about the legends not getting fired which one left on top and not in decline?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
You've been here long enough to realize that the Big Money Guys are all scarred by the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I don't think there's a one of them that doesn't realize that things are slipping, and that they have been slipping for a while. GMFP can gladhand, and reassure them that we're thisclose to being there, but we just need a little time, grow em up, etc. That wears thin after you've heard it for three years running.

These Big Money Guys didn't get Big Money by being patsies: They made hard decisions. Worked like hell. And they did so in a tough-assed world. When they come to the determination that this is The End with GMFP, we'll know. And so will he. And I believe that time is swiftly approaching.

Totally agree, but even big money guys hire PR people. So, my opinion is that he is convinced leaving on his terms with a behind the scenes nudge is more likely than a high profile firing. Just a guess, though.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
you don't think a new staff couldn't recruit to the facilities at tcu?

agree gary will walk before he gets fired, but when you talk about the legends not getting fired which one left on top and not in decline?

I never said anything about anyone leaving while on top. I’m not arguing one way or the other. I am merely saying iconic coaches haven’t been fired from my experience.

Maybe. But we aren’t and never have been a go to place for high level kids. We have much nicer facilities than Notre Dame, so kids may not always be attracted by shiny new things.

Wacker always said it’s hard for privates because kids want to go to a University Of… There may be some truth to that.

CountryFrog

That was the one we were competitive in. We were closer in some of the other eleven than others, obviously, but we have overwhelmingly flattered to deceive in terms of stats and scores than reality. Take 2016 at home, for example. Hill threw for a ton of yards in that game and whatever the final score was I'm sure it wasn't a blowout. But we weren't ever going to win. No neutral observer would have sat in that stadium and thought, "this TCU team might actually pull this off". If you think otherwise, that's your value judgment. Personally I sit through our games with OU awaiting the inevitable. Eleven times out of twelve it comes. Sorry if that makes me a moron. I guess I'll try to believe more next year, then when we give up sixty and lose I'll be super surprised and really sad.
No, none of that is what makes you a moron.

CountryFrog

We had the ball down 6 late in the game but with plenty of time to score and had scored on our previous 3 possessions with relative ease. We absolutely had a chance to win that game.
Come on Moose. No neutral observer would ever believe that a team down 6 points with the ball has any chance at all to win a football game.