• The KillerFrogs

Punt returner

Wexahu

My biggest worry with Reagor returning punts isn't injury, it's him having the patience to just take the fair catch or get down when he gets swallowed up. Could easily see a situation where he isn't getting the touches he wants at receiver and then thinking he's gotta make up for it by doing something heroic on a punt return. Probably would be the case with about anybody we put out there though.

McFroggin

I don’t get the “risking injury” thing. He’s our best offensive player and should be getting the ball as many times as possible during a game. I hope to god Purdue minimizes the injury risk to Rondale Moore next week by limiting his touches.

How do you not get it? Reagor usually catches the ball in stride with the CB or is going 1:1 on the outside with smaller players.

When you return punts, you have larger players that are at full speed while Reagor is looking up and must start at 0. Potential impacts with MUCH more force hence higher injury risk. A RB like S Barkley is built to take bigger hits. Reagor isnt.

CountryFrog

How do you not get it? Reagor usually catches the ball in stride with the CB or is going 1:1 on the outside with smaller players.

When you return punts, you have larger players that are at full speed while Reagor is looking up and must start at 0. Potential impacts with MUCH more force hence higher injury risk. A RB like S Barkley is built to take bigger hits. Reagor isnt.
Turpin was tiny. How many times did he suffer an injury as a returner in his 4 years?

Wexahu

Actually it was more but not all returning punts and kickoffs.

I don't think there's any doubt that a per play basis the chances of getting injured returning a punt are higher. It's just a more violent play than almost any other except for kickoff returns. On the other hand, you need to score points, and it's a hell of a lot easier to "sacrifice" a scoring opportunity on a punt or kick return when you have a high-powered offense that you can rely on. Not only that, but the threat of having your most dangerous offensive player back there definitely puts some pressure on the other team's punter to directional kick, etc. Might generate a shank or two that could make a big difference somewhere along the line.

McFroggin

I don't think there's any doubt that a per play basis the chances of getting injured returning a punt are higher. It's just a more violent play than almost any other except for kickoff returns. On the other hand, you need to score points, and it's a hell of a lot easier to "sacrifice" a scoring opportunity on a punt or kick return when you have a high-powered offense that you can rely on. Not only that, but the threat of having your most dangerous offensive player back there definitely puts some pressure on the other team's punter to directional kick, etc. Might generate a shank or two that could make a big difference somewhere along the line.

While I agree that he is our best offensive player, I hope he isn’t our best return option. Reagor runs crisp routes and catches very well, but he doesn’t have the shake that Turpin had. Maybe Derius Davis could give it a go.

netty2424

While I agree that he is our best offensive player, I hope he isn’t our best return option. Reagor runs crisp routes and catches very well, but he doesn’t have the shake that Turpin had. Maybe Derius Davis could give it a go.
Few guys have that shake. Louisville had a guy last night that was a Turpin clone. Was fun to watch. Disappointed Turp ended here the way he did.

CountryFrog

Actually it was more but not all returning punts and kickoffs.
Actually I don't think he ever suffered a single injury returning a kick or punt. That's not to say he never limped off the field after a return but he never missed time due to an actual injury from returning a kick or punt.

Conventional wisdom among football fans seems to be that returning punts and kicks is super dangerous but I don't think there's any evidence to support that. It's much more dangerous of a play for the other guys on the field than a normal play but a good returner is very rarely getting hit hard. Although if Reagor doesn't learn to utilize the fair catch signal and actually catch the punt then his odds for injury certainly increase.

Catching passes over the middle as a WR carries a lot higher risk of getting blown up than returning a punt.

4th. down

Actually I don't think he ever suffered a single injury returning a kick or punt. That's not to say he never limped off the field after a return but he never missed time due to an actual injury from returning a kick or punt.

Conventional wisdom among football fans seems to be that returning punts and kicks is super dangerous but I don't think there's any evidence to support that. It's much more dangerous of a play for the other guys on the field than a normal play but a good returner is very rarely getting hit hard. Although if Reagor doesn't learn to utilize the fair catch signal and actually catch the punt then his odds for injury certainly increase.

Catching passes over the middle as a WR carries a lot higher risk of getting blown up than returning a punt.

I don't know, possibly you do, how to go back and get the stat on Turpins injuries while at TCU but believe you are wrong in your punt/kickoff assessment.

CountryFrog

I don't know, possibly you do, how to go back and get the stat on Turpins injuries while at TCU but believe you are wrong in your punt/kickoff assessment.
Special teams are dangerous. But the returner is the one guy on the field who actually has control over getting hit. It's certainly dependant on each individual player and some guys take more chances than others. But you can literally be a returner and never take a single hard hit if you utilize the fair catch, touch backs, run out of bounds and get on the ground once you're stopped so that no one gets a free shot on you.

Kerley is another example of a small guy who returned tons of punts and kicks (did it in the NFL for a few years too) and never got injured doing it.

McFroggin

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ed-kick-return-baylor/YlePEnhEs7omBKNPa5vfhO/

BigPurple87

I don’t get the “risking injury” thing. He’s our best offensive player and should be getting the ball as many times as possible during a game. I hope to god Purdue minimizes the injury risk to Rondale Moore next week by limiting his touches.

Does Moore return punts? I'm asking because I have watched them lately and havent looked at stats

TRF51

Your best return player should be returning the ball. There are some Heisman winners who were their team's best receiver and returned the ball too.

However, if we have other good hands people with very good wiggle.... definitely good giving them some of the duty too.

Other teams are not putting their best player at risk against a division 2 team. I understand having him out there against prime time opponents but him returning punts in the second half against that team is STUPID.

flyfishingfrog

Other teams are not putting their best player at risk against a division 2 team. I understand having him out there against prime time opponents but him returning punts in the second half against that team is STUPID.
maybe - but frankly I would rather have him fumble against UAPB then UT or OU.

and he obviously needed the practice if he is going to be our punt returner.

Frankly I am not sure if he should be or not - but I would not want to think of what will happen if that same fumbling happens against a B12 opponent.