• The KillerFrogs

Price Increases Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoustonFrog

kick the fish out of the lot and move lot 3 over there as a last resort.

do you think it will continue to be called Smith entrepreneurial hall? anyone see the texas monthly a couple of months ago? Not doing so well after putting $$ into lajitas

O

oldscribe

Some of these parking areas sound interesting....but directions by bldg name are confusing for a guy whose total TCU experience was WEST of Stadium Dr. (except for racquetball in the Rickel Bldg and picking up daughter's laundry someplace behind some bldg.)

10 Key Frog

QUOTE(HoustonFrog @ Jan 19 2008, 06:40 AM) [snapback]104833[/snapback]
kick the fish out of the lot and move lot 3 over there as a last resort.

do you think it will continue to be called Smith entrepreneurial hall? anyone see the texas monthly a couple of months ago? Not doing so well after putting $$ into lajitas

Where do you propose moving the 500-750 freshman cars?

InterestedObserver

TCU will have to pick a different drill site before they can get a permit. It won't end up in Lot 3. The only permitable space on the TCU campus would be somewhere near the tennis center/soccer field and track complexes.

The lot 3 space is within 600 feet of the homes on Colonial Parkway, just across the creek as well as those on Canty and Walsh Ct.

Parking won't be affected anytime soon.

Trelvis

Of all the things they could be taking away from TCU, they choose parking!! When will they get the clue that parking is the Universitys worse problem.

Deep Purple

QUOTE(HoustonFrog @ Jan 19 2008, 06:40 AM) [snapback]104833[/snapback]
do you think it will continue to be called Smith entrepreneurial hall? anyone see the texas monthly a couple of months ago? Not doing so well after putting $ into lajitas

That's the way it is with true entrepreneurs. They thrive on risk. At one point, he was so poor that his wife Susan was taking their kids (now both TCU alums -- though the daughter never finished her degree) to the local public pool to use the showers there for bathing. Then Smith hit it big with Excel Communications and almost overnight he was worth half a billion dollars. That was his net worth when he donated $10.5 million for Smith Entrepreneurs Hall. So no, they won't be changing the name of the building.

Smith may have lost a substantial part of his fortune in the Lajitas development, but he's still an extremely wealthy man. And there may come a day when he's on top again. That's the mark of an entrepreneur. They're always grabbing for the brass ring.

Deep Purple

QUOTE(InterestedObserver @ Jan 19 2008, 10:06 AM) [snapback]104860[/snapback]
TCU will have to pick a different drill site before they can get a permit. It won't end up in Lot 3.

It will be in Lot 3. They've already selected a site and it meets all the legal requirements. But they still want to keep the neighbors as happy as possible, so they're still negotiating light, sound, appearance, and safety stipulations.

Deep Purple

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jan 20 2008, 04:52 PM) [snapback]105189[/snapback]
Of all the things they could be taking away from TCU, they choose parking!! When will they get the clue that parking is the Universitys worse problem.

Spoken like a man who has not been to school anyplace else. TCU actually has a far better parking situation than most universities -- particularly public universities. At UTA and SFA, I used to routinely park a half-mile or more from anything. And that was 30 years ago. It's worse now.

Even many prestigious privates have far worse parking than TCU. At Vanderbilt, you're not allowed to bring a car to campus until you're a junior, and even then you have to get in a lottery for a parking pass. Tulane has virtually no campus parking. Most students simply find the best curbside parking they can on the streets of New Orleans. Needless to say, the university can't provide any security for vehicles parked on city streets.

At TCU, we -- students, faculty, staff, and alumni -- have had such good parking for so long, we're pretty spoiled. We think it a hardship if we have to walk more than 200 yards to anything.

Because of the higher expectations at TCU, I do think the university will have to break down and build parking garages at some point. But it's not cheap. A ground-level lot costs about $6,000 per parking space. For each elevated level, the cost is about $20,000 per space. And going underground is even more expensive.

Limp Lizard

Speaking about being bumped out from a parking space. A few years ago I had a great space in Lot #1, about 15 feet from the Southwest gate, as Wes can attest.

But the Justin Center construction ate up that space. I am still in Lot #1, but in the far Southwest part, overlooking Lot #2.

But I got over it.

InterestedObserver

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Jan 20 2008, 06:58 PM) [snapback]105232[/snapback]
It will be in Lot 3. They've already selected a site and it meets all the legal requirements. But they still want to keep the neighbors as happy as possible, so they're still negotiating light, sound, appearance, and safety stipulations.

I'm pretty sure that the city ordinance is 600 feet from homes and there isn't a way to put a drill site in that lot and not violate that restriction. I'm not an attorney or an oil and gas guy, but the rumblings I've heard are that there is still quite a fight ahead over that proposed spot.

accounting frog

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Jan 20 2008, 07:13 PM) [snapback]105235[/snapback]
Spoken like a man who has not been to school anyplace else. TCU actually has a far better parking situation than most universities -- particularly public universities. At UTA and SFA, I used to routinely park a half-mile or more from anything. And that was 30 years ago. It's worse now.

Even many prestigious privates have far worse parking than TCU. At Vanderbilt, you're not allowed to bring a car to campus until you're a junior, and even then you have to get in a lottery for a parking pass. Tulane has virtually no campus parking. Most students simply find the best curbside parking they can on the streets of New Orleans. Needless to say, the university can't provide any security for vehicles parked on city streets.

At TCU, we -- students, faculty, staff, and alumni -- have had such good parking for so long, we're pretty spoiled. We think it a hardship if we have to walk more than 200 yards to anything.

Because of the higher expectations at TCU, I do think the university will have to break down and build parking garages at some point. But it's not cheap. A ground-level lot costs about $6,000 per parking space. For each elevated level, the cost is about $20,000 per space. And going underground is even more expensive.

I agree. Parking at TCU is not even close to a problem compared to every other campus I have ever been to.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(InterestedObserver @ Jan 20 2008, 10:03 PM) [snapback]105299[/snapback]
I'm pretty sure that the city ordinance is 600 feet from homes and there isn't a way to put a drill site in that lot and not violate that restriction. I'm not an attorney or an oil and gas guy, but the rumblings I've heard are that there is still quite a fight ahead over that proposed spot.

Is that the lot where you and the misses hang out during the games? Are you going to have to find a new parking space to hang out in? I hope the drilling noise won't bother you out there. Since you don't like TCU's opponents, conference or caliber of play, I'm sure you will be fine out there. With the wife.

damnyankeephrog

QUOTE(Frog DJ @ Jan 18 2008, 05:34 PM) [snapback]104731[/snapback]
Ecto and I just park with"Stormin' Norman" behind the bank at Berry and University. The walk does a body good! Go Frogs!

Talk about being displaced....I had to move out of my apartment so they could tear it down to build that bank. GREAT location.

MoCityFrog

Guess I will need to make a point to renew my parking/tickets ASAP this season.

At some point, even if expensive, TCU is going to have to look at a parking garage or two.
The freshman lot would seem like the perfect place to accomplish that and not get in the way of the overall look of the campus. Lot 4 could be another option.

Most of the cost, not all, could probably be made up with donor parking for football and then student parking permits.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
With TCU taking away the one lot, they need to open back up parking in the some of the neighborhoods. They are making some of my hikes longer and longer. Pretty soon I'll be walking from Hulen Mall just to keep from paying a parking fee. :smile:

Shooter

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jan 21 2008, 01:00 PM) [snapback]105336[/snapback]
Is that the lot where you and the misses hang out during the games? Are you going to have to find a new parking space to hang out in? I hope the drilling noise won't bother you out there. Since you don't like TCU's opponents, conference or caliber of play, I'm sure you will be fine out there. With the wife.

Come on now Top. IO's been a pretty straight up guy. Whip up on Rod the Butt Pirate but IO's one of the good guys. :biggrin:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Shooter @ Jan 23 2008, 08:42 AM) [snapback]106060[/snapback]
Come on now Top. IO's been a pretty straight up guy. Whip up on Rod the Butt Pirate but IO's one of the good guys. :biggrin:

Hey, he's the one who made the comments about TCU. No quarter for that, IMO.

Shooter

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jan 23 2008, 02:57 PM) [snapback]106064[/snapback]
Hey, he's the one who made the comments about TCU. No quarter for that, IMO.

If you say so. I didn't see anything like that from him. Sure it wasn't Rod?
BTW, called the Frog Club this AM to renew my membership and parking permit in lot #3. I asked Julie about the drilling rig situation and she stated the decision had not been made as to location and the Frog Club was pressing on with business as usual. If the rig is located in lot #3 and your reserve space is affected then they will contact you and arrange an alternate location.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Shooter @ Jan 23 2008, 05:03 PM) [snapback]106349[/snapback]
If you say so. I didn't see anything like that from him. Sure it wasn't Rod?

Oh yeah. He stays with his wife (a TCU grad) socializing in the parking lots at TCU games. She doesn't like football. She likes to visit. He said he doesn't generally like TCU's style of play or caliber of opponent, but will go in and watch the game if the opponent is of interest to him. But then he tells us how he is a fan of TCU, says he'll watch games on TV.

Whopee.

accounting frog

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jan 23 2008, 05:16 PM) [snapback]106353[/snapback]
Oh yeah. He stays with his wife (a TCU grad) socializing in the parking lots at TCU games. She doesn't like football. She likes to visit. He said he doesn't generally like TCU's style of play or caliber of opponent, but will go in and watch the game if the opponent is of interest to him. But then he tells us how he is a fan of TCU, says he'll watch games on TV.

Whopee.

There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe you need to put his wife in your crosshairs. Socializing in the parking lot is part of college football, deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.