• The KillerFrogs

Previewing the game from Utopia (Dallas)

ECM

Hello Frog fans! We have quite the game in store on Saturday morning. Believe it or not, there are four year old children walking this Earth who have never seen TCU beat SMU. But, that could change in 40 hours or so.

Sonny Dykes' treacherous departure has ignited quite some passion (relatively speaking) amongst the Pony Nation. Imagine if you will Gary Patterson leaving TCU for Baylor in 2007 or so and then coming back to Fort Worth for the first time the following season....that's how we feel right now. I see both fan bases acting extremely petty and childish on Twitter and the message boards, as they should be...who says this isn't a rivalry?

Alright, enough chit-chat. Here's the scoop on the Ponies: we made short work of a very bad University of North Texas team in week 1, winning 48-10 in Denton, and followed that up with a convincing albeit uninspiring win over Lamar in week 2. Last week, Maryland did everything they could to hand us the game on a silver platter committing 15 penalties for something like a thousand yards and we still somehow found a way to lose, committing two red zone turnovers in the process. Frustrating, but life goes on. I think Maryland is probably a middle of the road Big Ten team and we should have beaten them but also caught a lot of breaks...all that's to say I don't really know how good we are (or if we're good at all). I also have no idea how good this TCU team is, as Colorado and Tarleton don't tell us much. Actually, Colorado and Tarleton might be a good game if they played this season.

ECM's Keys to the Game (sponsored by your Dallas area Porsche dealers):

On offense TCU must... have success downfield. TCU would've won last year (perhaps convincingly) had Duggan been able to complete any of his deep throws. It doesn't take Knute Rockne to figure out that SMU will play the run (as our run defense has been suspect at best) and see if Duggan can beat us over the top. Last week we had to respect Tagovailoa and the Maryland receivers and in turn they ran all over us. If TCU can spread out SMU defensively early on, yours truly may be in for a long Saturday.

On offense, SMU must.... take care of the ball and spread it around. Mordecai threw two interceptions and lost a fumble in the red zone at Maryland. Do that again, and TCU wins easily on Saturday. Our #2 receiver, Jordan Kerley, was hurt against Maryland and likely won't go on Saturday and I don't know if we can count on another out of this world game from Tarrant County's own Rashee Rice. I think this SMU team is less talented at the skill positions than in years past (especially if Kerley is out) and that will present a challenge for us.

On defense, TCU must... get pressure on Mordecai and force the turnovers mentioned above. If you're going to bring pressure against SMU, I recommend doing it from the right side as our right tackle is a turnstile.

On defense, SMU must... stop the run. Period. If Garrett Riley is as predictable as he was the last two years then I know exactly what's coming. Keep the TCU run game in check and SMU will be in good shape.

Prediction Time: I think this game started out as a pick 'em in Vegas, so I guess they don't have a clue either. SMU has the better player at the most important position on the field so I'll take the Ponies 38-34. If I'm wrong, I'll come back here and eat crow.

I wish you all safe travels and a sad trip home. Pony Up!

Chieves

vomit GIF
family guy vomit GIF

PO Frog

Good post OP. Not delusional and mildly humorous for a Dallas snob. Was around a bunch of SMU big cigars a few weeks ago and they were all pretty salty and mouthy about this game. I’m sure losing to lowly Maryland and Mike Locksley (how embarrassing) has taken some starch out of your little pony fans but will still be fun to mudhole you guys in your stadium. Look forward to your Saturday evening crow-post.

Bob Sugar

Hello Frog fans! We have quite the game in store on Saturday morning. Believe it or not, there are four year old children walking this Earth who have never seen TCU beat SMU. But, that could change in 40 hours or so.

Sonny Dykes' treacherous departure has ignited quite some passion (relatively speaking) amongst the Pony Nation. Imagine if you will Gary Patterson leaving TCU for Baylor in 2007 or so and then coming back to Fort Worth for the first time the following season....that's how we feel right now. I see both fan bases acting extremely petty and childish on Twitter and the message boards, as they should be...who says this isn't a rivalry?

Alright, enough chit-chat. Here's the scoop on the Ponies: we made short work of a very bad University of North Texas team in week 1, winning 48-10 in Denton, and followed that up with a convincing albeit uninspiring win over Lamar in week 2. Last week, Maryland did everything they could to hand us the game on a silver platter committing 15 penalties for something like a thousand yards and we still somehow found a way to lose, committing two red zone turnovers in the process. Frustrating, but life goes on. I think Maryland is probably a middle of the road Big Ten team and we should have beaten them but also caught a lot of breaks...all that's to say I don't really know how good we are (or if we're good at all). I also have no idea how good this TCU team is, as Colorado and Tarleton don't tell us much. Actually, Colorado and Tarleton might be a good game if they played this season.

On offense TCU must... have success downfield. TCU would've won last year (perhaps convincingly) had Duggan been able to complete any of his deep throws. It doesn't take Knute Rockne to figure out that SMU will play the run (as our run defense has been suspect at best) and see if Duggan can beat us over the top. Last week we had to respect Tagovailoa and the Maryland receivers and in turn they ran all over us. If TCU can spread out SMU defensively early on, yours truly may be in for a long Saturday.

On offense, SMU must.... take care of the ball and spread it around. Mordecai threw two interceptions and lost a fumble in the red zone at Maryland. Do that again, and TCU wins easily on Saturday. Our #2 receiver, Jordan Kerley, was hurt against Maryland and likely won't go on Saturday and I don't know if we can count on another out of this world game from Tarrant County's own Rashee Rice. I think this SMU team is less talented at the skill positions than in years past (especially if Kerley is out) and that will present a challenge for us.

On defense, TCU must... get pressure on Mordecai and force the turnovers mentioned above. If you're going to bring pressure against SMU, I recommend doing it from the right side as our right tackle is a turnstile.

On defense, SMU must... stop the run. Period. If Garrett Riley is as predictable as he was the last two years then I know exactly what's coming. Keep the TCU run game in check and SMU will be in good shape.

Prediction Time: I think this game started out as a pick 'em in Vegas, so I guess they don't have a clue either. SMU has the better player at the most important position on the field so I'll take the Ponies 38-34. If I'm wrong, I'll come back here and eat crow.

Well now it makes sense. Not sure what the E stands for, but ECM is Cash McMogulson. Has to be.

Limey Frog

I certainly have never said this isn't a rivalry. I'm among the most devout worshippers in the church of college football tradition, and I defend this annual series everytime it is suggested that we drop it. Hell, I'd have SMU in the Big 12 over UCF in a heartbeat. I just don't care about playing a commuter school from central Florida. This isn't our most important game to win, but it is by far our most important to not lose. I hate losing to your stupid Little Ponies.

You're right about the pressure up front on defense. We haven't managed much in the way of backfield havoc through two games against nobodies. But we do have some guys. Damonic Williams (has anyone mentioned that he used to be 17?) needs to have a big game. You're also right about how much Duggan was off in the passing game last year. He's a year older and it's a new staff (do you know that Sonny Dykes is pretty good? Fun fact). I think he'll be a lot better. I also quietly suspect that SMU selling out to stop the run just won't work; we've looked very good on the ground, though, again, vs. nobody.

I think if the Frogs click on offense there's nothing else that matters. I think we will try to mix different kinds of running plays, short stuff and deep balls early on to get SMU playing from behind. That was TCU's problem last year; once we were chasing double digits we never looked like winning. Slow starts have killed us in this series lately. If we don't have one tomorrow it won't be a game, if we do it will.

HornyWartyToad

Ft.Worth seems to have the worst case of little man syndrome I've ever seen.

Just an FYI, traffic on 35w and parts of 820 are just as bad, if not worse, then any traffic in Dallas.
Lol. Dallas is the biggest "wannabe" city I've ever seen in my life. No character of it's own, just constantly on the hunt for the next trendy thing it can copy from other cities. . . But, bigger!. . . It's why I left a great job and went back to grad school so I could gtf outta there.
Now, FW has sadly taken on some of the same ills as Dallas due to poorly-controlled growth (fueled in no small part by greedy developers from, guess where), but it is still hands down a much better place to do life.
Dallas sucks ass. And not the good kind.

HornyWartyToad

my little pony GIF

East Coast

Tier 1
Lol. Dallas is the biggest "wannabe" city I've ever seen in my life. No character of it's own, just constantly on the hunt for the next trendy thing it can copy from other cities. . . But, bigger!. . . It's why I left a great job and went back to grad school so I could gtf outta there.
Now, FW has sadly taken on some of the same ills as Dallas due to poorly-controlled growth (fueled in no small part by greedy developers from, guess where), but it is still hands down a much better place to do life.
Dallas sucks ass. And not the good kind.
While everything you say is true, I'd still take Dallas over San Antonio, Waco, Lubbock (basically all those West Texas hellholes), and most of Houston.

82 Frog Fever

SMU’s Greatest Football Accomplishments this Century:
- 2 CUSA Division Co-Championships
- 2 Hawaii and 1 Compass Bowl win
- 7 over .500 seasons
- 1 season with > 8 wins
No conference championships
No major bowl appearances
No ranked seasons
YOU ARE DELUSIONAL!

CryptoMiner

Where is all this chatter between fan bases? Seems to be very docile to me so far but thanks for the post.

Last year the Ponies were able to run all over the frogs and that was the key to the win. But these are two very different teams this year and still lots of unknowns with TCU.

TCU started slow against CO but since that first half things have been easy. Really too easy to make much judgement.

As you mentioned, the Maryland game was was a disaster to watch. Lots of offense by both teams and lots of mistakes by both teams.

The plusses:

For TCU so far: Offense has been good, few mistakes and the OL has yet to give up a sack. On the defense, it has kept the scoring down.

For SMU: again lots of offense and has the leading WR in the country. Defense is only giving up 194 yds passing a game.

The minuses

For TCU while yet to give up a sack the defense has only had 2 sacks against two poor teams. In addition the pass defense has been beaten on physical matchups.

For SMU they have been run all over on the defense and the offense has given up the ball 8 times already.

TCU is getting some key players back, especially on defense and is moving the JUCO All-American DL up the depth chart in hopes of adding some pressure.

Key matchup to me Rice vs Hodges-Tomlinson - two of the best in the business and should be fun