• The KillerFrogs

Pretty fair football movie on Turner Classic Movies

Leap Frog

Some of you Pilgrims may like this oldie with the "Duke" playing a Jackie Sherrill type coach who stops at nothing to turn a small college into a big winner. If you don't prefer it, keep it mum, or old JW will have you pushing up daisies :biggrin: Title, "Trouble Along The Way".

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(Leap Frog @ May 19 2010, 10:23 AM) [snapback]561564[/snapback]
Some of you Pilgrims may like this oldie with the "Duke" playing a Jackie Sherrill type coach who stops at nothing to turn a small college into a big winner. If you don't prefer it, keep it mum, or old JW will have you pushing up daisies :biggrin: Title, "Trouble Along The Way".

He actually played football at USC, right?

joejordan

QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ May 19 2010, 11:31 AM) [snapback]561574[/snapback]
He actually played football at USC, right?

As Marion Morrison

Frogenstein

Yes, he did. While playing football at USC the Duke got a job at one on the movie studios - a common USC athletic perk at the time. John Wayne was working one day at the studio unloading a truck when John Ford spotted him and thought the Duke had that movie star physique - he was shirtless at the time. Ford hired the Duke as an extra/small role in a film which was the beginning of a very successful career.

oldscribe

QUOTE(Frogenstein @ May 19 2010, 10:37 AM) [snapback]561608[/snapback]
Yes, he did. While playing football at USC the Duke got a job at one on the movie studios - a common USC athletic perk at the time. John Wayne was working one day at the studio unloading a truck when John Ford spotted him and thought the Duke had that movie star physique - he was shirtless at the time. Ford hired the Duke as an extra/small role in a film which was the beginning of a very successful career.

You will notice, among others, Chuck Connors (Dodger 1B and then the Rifleman on TV) in this flic in one of his first movie roles.

Froglaw

Great flick. My kick off to football season.

I love it when the Father announces the fall football schedule.

Good stuff.

TCUExaminer

Contributor
QUOTE(oldscribe @ May 19 2010, 01:05 PM) [snapback]561645[/snapback]
You will notice, among others, Chuck Connors (Dodger 1B and then the Rifleman on TV) in this flic in one of his first movie roles.

Connors was also the first basketball player to ever shatter a backboard. And that's today's page from basketball past.

So long everybody.

Leap Frog

QUOTE(Froglaw @ May 19 2010, 01:22 PM) [snapback]561649[/snapback]
Great flick. My kick off to football season.

I love it when the Father announces the fall football schedule.

Good stuff.

Yeah, that is hilarious. The Father is played by great old actor, Charles Coburn.

2314@work

Contributor

Thanks, Leap.
This will help me with my football fix. I'll put Rangers on the second TV with volume muted.

2314@work

Contributor

Great movie. I thought Sherry Jackson (the daughter) stole the show.