• The KillerFrogs

PressBox DFW / Gil Lebreton

A formerly mediocre columnist who was part of the crazily overpaid old-world newspaper universe, whom TCU spent WAY too much time and effort getting close to for minimal benefit, now washed up and deserves exactly 0 attention from anybody.

Horned Toad

Gil was a great sports writer. I loved many of his articles. Don’t get what happened to him though with the PressBox. Surprised he didn’t just straight up say our overhead is killing us and we have to shut it down and then moved on. I knew going in that a startup was risky and wasn’t worried about my small subscription fee. Still, wasn’t a good look for him.

MAcFroggy

Gil was a great sports writer. I loved many of his articles. Don’t get what happened to him though with the PressBox. Surprised he didn’t just straight up say our overhead is killing us and we have to shut it down and then moved on. I knew going in that a startup was risky and wasn’t worried about my small subscription fee. Still, wasn’t a good look for him.

Agree. I understand starting a new venture is hard. Sports writing is a very tough field these days. However, he should have at least written a final post saying the site was going to end. Just say that he fought the good fight, but PressboxDFW was not sustainable. Weird that he has just peaced out and never said anything.

jake102

Agree. I understand starting a new venture is hard. Sports writing is a very tough field these days. However, he should have at least written a final post saying the site was going to end. Just say that he fought the good fight, but PressboxDFW was not sustainable. Weird that he has just peaced out and never said anything.

This. Classless.

StealthFrog

Gil being Gil, with Kelsey and others having to pipe up...

Riggs from the top rope
Weekend Flying GIF by United Wrestling Network

HornyWartyToad

Agree if you replace "great" with "adequate homer." If he were writing on a national level, about teams or individuals in which you didn't have an emotional investment, his writing would most definitely NOT be of the, "I need to read this guy," variety. He could occasionally be pithy, or clever, or whatever. . . but he couldn't reach with binoculars the class of authors who preceded him as Fort Worth sportswriters- i.e., the old FW Press dudes. . . For that matter, he wasn't in the same class with his contemporary, Galloway.

PurpleBlood87

For all his faults with PressBoxDFW, Gil really liked TCU and writing about the Frogs in a positive light when he was at the FWST.

I remember after TCU clinched that first CWS berth, the first text I got was from Gil saying how happy his was for me and all the Frog fans about going to Omaha.

Palliative Care

If Gary needs to keep coaching then he should. Yes he is always going to be a part of TCU’s history and he is a legend here. I admit that hurts to see him in burnt orange. However I do not see a similar opportunity to do the same here. I still wish him well and am grateful for his contributions to TCU.