• The KillerFrogs

Preseason Coaches Poll (TCU #16)

ifrog

I’ll take it. If our offensive line can get up to speed early in the season this team has a chance to be dangerous. There is so much talent in the backfield and with the skill positions. The D is going to be nasty.

LeagueCityFrog

Dylan Thomas is a good player. He will be out there again as a junior wide receiver. I think Gary knows he has a good team coupled with 10 of our 12 games in Texas.

netty2424

I have to ask again......what makes our receiving corps so "loaded"?

We lost Diarse, White, Williams, Porter, Slanina, and Graham (and I realize that only JD and DW contributed in any meaningful way last year) and add a bunch of completely unproven true freshman, none of who were exactly elite level recruits with the possible exception of Hunt......and we go from a very average WR corps to being "loaded"?

I hope you're right, but I just don't get it. I think we're a Reagor injury away from being in a heap of trouble at that position. Take him out of the lineup and who do we have that's going to scare anyone?
Don't disagree with this really. I think our running game, assuming the line can make some space, will open up the WR quite a bit. Pick your poison.

Mean Purple

"No. 16 TCU. Someone’s got to explain how a team could win 11 games, reach the Big 12 title game, finish ninth in last season’s final poll, brings back most of its key defensive cogs and somehow drop seven spots. There may be concern about replacing QB Kenny Hill, but successor Shawn Robinson is the most heralded QB recruit of Gary Patterson’s tenure and his receiving corps is loaded."

Mandel is writng for the Atlantic?

Mean Purple

I have to ask again......what makes our receiving corps so "loaded"?

We lost Diarse, White, Williams, Porter, Slanina, and Graham (and I realize that only JD and DW contributed in any meaningful way last year) and add a bunch of completely unproven true freshman, none of who were exactly elite level recruits with the possible exception of Hunt......and we go from a very average WR corps to being "loaded"?

I hope you're right, but I just don't get it. I think we're a Reagor injury away from being in a heap of trouble at that position. Take him out of the lineup and who do we have that's going to scare anyone?
Well, for starters, they're good.
And...big 10 sux

PhillyFrog

Shawn can run the ball better and throw the deep out better than Hill ever could.

Only questions are accuracy and experience.

This could get pretty real pretty quickly this year.

CountryFrog

I laugh when I see people in the media say the loss of Kenny Hill at QB may set the Frogs back when the media used Kenny Hill as the reason last year why the Frogs weren't an elite team. Seems a little contradictory.

The OL is definitely a question. I'm not worried about WR at all. Sure, if Reagor gets injured then there's cause for concern but I'd imagine that's the case for most teams in the preseason with their #1 WR. As long as he stays healthy and the running game does what we all think the running game can do then the other receivers are looking at lots of single coverage.

Most people here thought WR was a huge weakness in 2014, too, and then all of a sudden it wasn't. You never know what these younger guys will do until they get out there and start playing.

FrogLifeYo

Shawn can run the ball better and throw the deep out better than Hill ever could.

Only questions are accuracy and experience.

This could get pretty real pretty quickly this year.
You ar correct but Hill showed last year that he could battle through adversity and it was probably his best quality. SR will need to do that to reach his potential. With his arm he has a much higher ceiling then Kenny

Kyle101011

50% of the Big 12 ranked, though only one in the Top 15. Surprised to see us ahead of WVU and only behind Oklahoma in the conference. Breaking in a new QB and a new OL, that means they have a lot of confidence in our defense.
Since we’ve been in the Big 12 the conference has finished with 3 in the final AP poll 4 times and 4 in the final poll 2 times. So I predict when it is all said in done there will be 3 teams in the final AP top 25. Round robin format inflates the conference loss record.

FrogLifeYo

The OL is definitely a question. I'm not worried about WR at all. Sure, if Reagor gets injured then there's cause for concern but I'd imagine that's the case for most teams in the preseason with their #1 WR. As long as he stays healthy and the running game does what we all think the running game can do then the other receivers are looking at lots of single coverage.

Most people here thought WR was a huge weakness in 2014, too, and then all of a sudden it wasn't. You never know what these younger guys will do until they get out there and start playing.

WR position just doesn’t really bother me even without Reagor..The reality is we don’t ask our WRs to beat pressure corners. We are a read spread throwing game and that meens good hands and smart rout running will be enough productivity out of the position to help the offense be good.....If we are able to get more vertical because of our increased talent at the position then we could be very explosive. If the QB play is great then I might be able to play WR in this offense

dawg

Round robin format inflates the conference loss record.

Final rankings are also affected by the fact that the entire conference isn't playing an FCS creampuff in late November, when half of other P5 leagues are taking a loss (looking at you, secsecsec).

It's essential that Shawn learn to master the art of knowing when to slide before taking a hard tackle. Durability at QB

can be the key to a successful season. Andy Dalton demonstrated that ability with great precision.