• The KillerFrogs

Prepping for playing at Purdue this Fall

LeagueCityFrog

Some observations...

Purdue loses a 5th year starting quarterback. Their best player is #4. He's a slightly shorter Turpin type that originally signed with Texas. Their offensive line isn't NFL grade by any means. Their defensive backs seem to be easily fooled.

Compared to the Cal defense we beat in our last game in that electric Cheez-it Bowl... TCU should win this game by 3 touchdowns.

Here is Purdue's last game. How they beat Ohio State last season is beyond me. 2019 is a rebuilding year for Purdue.

JogginFrog

I remember at least one preview of Purdue-Ohio State last year that said, "Hey, if TCU and Indiana can pass for 3+ on the Buckeyes, Purdue QB David Blough (1,500 yards and 10 TDs vs. 2 picks going into the game) could put up 35 or 40 points on the Bucks. Get a couple of defensive stops at home and an upset is there for the taking."

What was weird about that game was how the Ohio State offense didn't show up to make it close.

Wexahu

Purdue isn't a great team by any measure but they've been adding some better talent the last couple years. Even though they lost a lot from last year's team I don't think this game is going to as easy as we hope or thought it might be when it was scheduled.

jake102

If we can just have 1 of the 4 step up, we can have a real good year, and it has to be now, because most of the offensive line graduates (Niang, Cordel, McKinney, and Bolisomi).

Eh Myers, Harris, Hollins will all return in 2020. Plus Lanz is going to be a strong back-up/starter this year as well as Burnette. OT is definitely a little worrisome but I think we have the guys to get there.

tcumaniac

Anyone have an opinion as to whether this is a trip worth making?

I have a flight on hold for a few more days, and a hotel that I can cancel up until August.

Have heard that Purdue was a cool place to visit, but I just don't find myself very excited about this game and the cost of travel/accommodations/tickets for what you get.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Anyone have an opinion as to whether this is a trip worth making?

I have a flight on hold for a few more days, and a hotel that I can cancel up until August.

Have heard that Purdue was a cool place to visit, but I just don't find myself very excited about this game and the cost of travel/accommodations/tickets for what you get.

Had to take my dog there for cancer treatments (Purdue is Indiana A&M without the cultists) and I didn’t see much in West Lafayette that made me think cool. Very College Station like with a dumpier stadium and a big drum like UT...

Anyone that thinks this will be a walk-over on the road must have seen a different team in Phoenix than I did. I think Purdue has a real big time coach (Louisville tried to steal him) and he has recruited well in his short time. They aren’t an elite team, but neither are we. I’d expect a battle. Hope we do better than we did the last time we visited Purdue.

DickBumpastache

We lost at Kansas last year. Expecting us to beat anyone on the road by 3 TDs is ridiculous. We may not even be favored.

Jeff Brohm is a smart offensive mind. Not sure he has the personnel to do everything he wants, especially at QB, but this will be a challenge for us. Rondale Moore is like a Jalen Reagor starter kit. He torched OSU.

YA

I'm going to the game. If you are renting a car do it now. Ohio State plays Indiana at home the same weekend. Rental car prices are in the $600 range as of today and will only go up.

Last edited:
Not that Big 12 pre-season polls are generally considered to be that relevant but some of these polls have us ranked

as high as third or fourth. With OU and UT alternating between first and second. Our 2019 recruiting class ranked third.

LVH

It's a rebuilding year for their offense as they lose pretty much everyone but Rondale Moore. However they do have a 6th year QB coming back who has played quite a bit in a backup role when needed and started a few games.

Defense they have most guys coming back.

The only preseason ratings I have seen so far are Bill Connelly's S&P and we are far ahead of them in those. We are in the 30s and they are in the 50s or 60s. We finished ahead of them in S&P last year too

I think we have a more talented roster top to bottom. This reminds me a lot of the 2017 Arkansas game.

tcumaniac

I'm going to the game. If you are renting a car do it now. Ohio State plays Indiana at home the same weekend. Rental car prices are in the $600 range as of today and will only go up.
Thanks for the heads up, but where do you shop for rental cars?

I just made a reservation with Avis for a full sized car getting in Friday evening and leaving Sunday evening from Indianapolis airport for $92 after tax.

Latest posts