• The KillerFrogs

Prehistoric college football coaches are killing players. It’s past time to stop them.

Eight

New Sally Jenkins article worth reading.

"Mistakes were made"...indeed they were.

Another reminder of TCU's good fortune in having Gary Patterson.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...2e98c13528d_story.html?utm_term=.054db67fe192

biggest thought on this is that the article stopped only at the deaths and that might sound stupid, but there have been a number of incidents were players have ended up in the hospital and not died

consider this incident back in 2011 where 13 iowa football players were sent to the hospital with rhabdomyolysis

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/586596-iowa-football-what-landed-13-players-in-the-hospital

iowa did an "investiagtion" into this and found no one was negligent in the planning or execution or their job and yet 13 players ended up in the hospital

how about at nebraska after scott frost took over the program

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...olysis-scott-frost/1e47qxljr8fp913t0zutt301h6

the s&c mensa has working for him at texas is freaking insane and of this same mindset

finally,we have this from uo though i will say they did at least suspend their s&c coach

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...coaches-and-college-footballs-killing-season/

you have programs that abuse kids and they get praised for developing talent.

Last edited:

Surfrog

Scott Frost did nothing wrong. Players simply did not do their workouts over break, their bodies were basically in shock due to deconditioning.

Surfrog

Was Matt Rhule and his stupid Oklahoma Drill mentioned?

Don't forget countless high school coaches and the ring in the bull or the laydown 10 yards apart and smash into each other "toughness" drills. (insert eyeroll here)

There have indeed been other factors in some of the incidents over the years.

True - I just was singling out that case. It was two freshman (If I recall correctly) who simply didn't do what coaches asked. There is a reason the freshman coming to TCU have a month of on-ramp before they join the upperclassmen in workouts.

Eight

Don't forget countless high school coaches and the ring in the bull or the laydown 10 yards apart and smash into each other "toughness" drills. (insert eyeroll here)

True - I just was singling out that case. It was two freshman (If I recall correctly) who simply didn't do what coaches asked. There is a reason the freshman coming to TCU have a month of on-ramp before they join the upperclassmen in workouts.

that right there is a key phrase because it shows recognition on the part of the coaching staff that players need to assessed before simply thrown into drills and conditioning work.

shannon turley at stanford is recognized for emphasizing the fundamentals of the exercise and making sure athletes can properly execute them before focusing on the heavier work.

all that aside, according to the article i linked it was a junior wide receiver and a senior lineman.

"Rising junior receiver Tyjon Lindsey and senior defensive lineman Dylan Owen were hospitalized with rhabdomyolysis for three days and two days, respectively, before being released and returning to the team"

not saying they didn't do what was asked of them over the break, but those are two guys who have been in a program for quite some time so they should have an idea of what was expected of them.

according to frost in the article it was simply weight lifting and what was supposed to be a 40 minute workout actually was cut to 32. something doesn't make sense for those 2 players to end up in the hospital with rhabdo after a simple 32 minute workout

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
While the maxim "The more thou sweatest in training, the less thou bleedeth in combat" has a lot of truth to it, the simple fact is, you have to be sane in what you are doing, and have a desired goal in mind. Coaches have always, always, demanded more from their players than they thought they could give. Discovering that they can do more, run faster, jump higher, etc., allows players to break through the self-limiting mental blocks they have in place. However, there is a point of diminishing returns that many programs are pushing into, and it does no one any good.

I am curious what Sally has in mind for this pernicious issue? Federal monitors? An inquiry from the NCAA? Legislation in Congress?

On a related note, I was reading an article in The Athletic today and the writer was banding in about “toxic masculinity.” I cancelled my subscription

(Not to say the issue of workers g players to the point of danger lacks merit)

Horny4TCU

I would like to see how these football players would handle an old school boxing workout. You know one from the 1920s when they would do 100 rounds.

All these kids are S.O.F.. They sof. They don't deserve the T, T is for tough.

Mean Purple

On a related note, I was reading an article in The Athletic today and the writer was banding in about “toxic masculinity.” I cancelled my subscription

(Not to say the issue of workers g players to the point of danger lacks merit)
the "toxic masculinity" garbage is laughable.

bad men don't become good when they stop being men. they become good when they stop being bad.

metrosexuals don't topple tyranny

that right there is a key phrase because it shows recognition on the part of the coaching staff that players need to assessed before simply thrown into drills and conditioning work.

shannon turley at stanford is recognized for emphasizing the fundamentals of the exercise and making sure athletes can properly execute them before focusing on the heavier work.

all that aside, according to the article i linked it was a junior wide receiver and a senior lineman.

"Rising junior receiver Tyjon Lindsey and senior defensive lineman Dylan Owen were hospitalized with rhabdomyolysis for three days and two days, respectively, before being released and returning to the team"

not saying they didn't do what was asked of them over the break, but those are two guys who have been in a program for quite some time so they should have an idea of what was expected of them.

according to frost in the article it was simply weight lifting and what was supposed to be a 40 minute workout actually was cut to 32. something doesn't make sense for those 2 players to end up in the hospital with rhabdo after a simple 32 minute workout

You didn't watch much Nebraska football last year, did you? A lot of the players were woefully out of shape before the season even ended. One result of Riley's "nice guy" approach to coaching.

Eight

You didn't watch much Nebraska football last year, did you? A lot of the players were woefully out of shape before the season even ended. One result of Riley's "nice guy" approach to coaching.

so out of shape they got rhabdo from a simple 32 minute workout?

nope

Pharm Frog

Might be instructive to look at some of the drug classes and supplements implicated in rhabdo while y’all are debating physical workouts. Hint — statins (especially high dose statins) are the most well known but by no means are they alone.

Eight

Might be instructive to look at some of the drug classes and supplements implicated in rhabdo while y’all are debating physical workouts. Hint — statins (especially high dose statins) are the most well known but by no means are they alone.

agreed, as well as supplements and a big one is dehydration. there are a number of variables, but one consistent factor in each of these incidents is that the players were going through some type of circuit style training that as much as focuses on the physical training is geared to develop a mindset of not quitting.

i think this is what sally is addressing in her article as well as the trainer from ou in his paper. overtraining is a common technique and highly effective. the key one is not crossing certain thresholds.

this problem of players ending up in the hospital for rhabdo also seems to be clustered in football. if someone can direct me to other incidents please do so, but i did not find the number of reported cases of either rhabdo or death during "conditioning" work for collegiate sports such as wrestling which puts a similar emphasis on strength, aerobic and anaerobic conditioning, and development of the never quit attitude.

Brog

And just in time to join the conversation, a 13-year-old boy in Crowley died yesterday afternoon in the midst of football practice. Relevant, or irrelevant?

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
And just in time to join the conversation, a 13-year-old boy in Crowley died yesterday afternoon in the midst of football practice. Relevant, or irrelevant?
Depends on the cause. Often times there are unknown conditions these kids have. Aledo had a basketball player collapse and later die because he had a heart condition they were unaware of.

Horny4TCU

Depends on the cause. Often times there are unknown conditions these kids have. Aledo had a basketball player collapse and later die because he had a heart condition they were unaware of.
Yeah, often times these kids have a condition that is unrecognized. Healthy kids don't die from lifting weights and running around on a field. It's not insensitivity, however I thought kids were suppose to get cleared by a medical professional. Where is the lawsuit against the doctors clearing these kids with conditions?

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Yeah, often times these kids have a condition that is unrecognized. Healthy kids don't die from lifting weights and running around on a field. It's not insensitivity, however I thought kids were suppose to get cleared by a medical professional. Where is the lawsuit against the doctors clearing these kids with conditions?
If they checked a kid for every possible thing, it would take forever and cost a [ Finebaum ]load of money. And it’s extremely unlikely that these healthy, athletic kids have something wrong with them.