• The KillerFrogs

Praise for Blacklock....

jake102

Clowney was injured and had micro fracture surgery. Collier’s injury (in the preseason) was not the reason he was on the inactive list for pretty much every game.

Clowney was also like 21 when he entered the NFL. Easier to manage a rough couple years because so much prime left

Billy Clyde

Clowney was injured and had micro fracture surgery. Collier’s injury (in the preseason) was not the reason he was on the inactive list for pretty much every game.

You're acting like Collier can't play because he didn't break into the rotation as a rookie. Collier was taken at the end of the first round. There's a learning curve no matter where you are picked.

Clowney was taken first overall. Way bigger deal than anyone not in the top 5, much less not in the top 25. Clowney played 30 minutes his rookie year. His SECOND year, played in 13 games, starting 9. 4.5 Sacks. Whoopee.

Clowney didn't become the player he was projected to be until his 3rd season. I watched him a fair bit that second year, and he didn't yet understand how to play the position. The physical ability was obvious.

The suggestion that injury was Clowney's (only) reason but not any of Collier's isn't consistent with how Clowney's first 2 years in the league went.

PO Frog

So by almost any definition, whatever a guy does in his first year is just what he is for his entire career? Calling him a bust after year one and acting as if the injury played no role at all is pretty dumb.
Whatever. I guess if he records a tackle next year we can remove the label. He’s a bust for now. Hope that changes.

TRF51

I wouldn’t call him a bust. Got hurt and played a little at the end of the year. Probably drafted a round early but definitely not his fault

He was a healthy scratch 70% of the games = BUST. I understand if they knew they were going to get Clowney they would not have drafted him. Seattle does not draft very well in the first round but they hit a lot in the other rounds.

MTfrog5

He was a healthy scratch 70% of the games = BUST. I understand if they knew they were going to get Clowney they would not have drafted him. Seattle does not draft very well in the first round but they hit a lot in the other rounds.
You must think Jerry Hughes is a bust as well

TRF51

You must think Jerry Hughes is a bust as well

Jerry Hughes was a bust when he was a Colt, he also played 200% more when he was a rookie there. He turned it around and turned into a great player. I am not saying LJ can't or won't turn it around, I hope he does but I have doubts he will ever be the player Jerry Hughes is. Ben is more like Jerry IMO.

CountryFrog

Seems to be some difference of opinion over what the word "bust" actually means. My idea of "bust" is that you're done. That's it. You came, you saw, you got conquered. There's no hope for you. You don't go from being a bust, to being ok, to then being a pro bowler. There's just bust and nothing else after. So clearly anyone who thinks he's a bust for now but that could change simply has a different idea of what a bust is.

Purp

Seems to be some difference of opinion over what the word "bust" actually means. My idea of "bust" is that you're done. That's it. You came, you saw, you got conquered. There's no hope for you. You don't go from being a bust, to being ok, to then being a pro bowler. There's just bust and nothing else after. So clearly anyone who thinks he's a bust for now but that could change simply has a different idea of what a bust is.
I tend to agree with the other assessments since it's been clear over the years that QBs don't have the ability to improve over time either. If you're inaccurate you can't learn to be accurate. It's clearly just an innate talent. You have it or you don't. Same must be true for busts.

jake102

My definition:
Hughes was a bust draft pick for the Colts. He was not a bust as an NFL player.

I'd also classify Clowney as a minor bust for the Texans given his draft slot at 1,1.

Eight

Jerry Hughes was a bust when he was a Colt, he also played 200% more when he was a rookie there. He turned it around and turned into a great player. I am not saying LJ can't or won't turn it around, I hope he does but I have doubts he will ever be the player Jerry Hughes is. Ben is more like Jerry IMO.

hughes didn't fit as a down linemen in the colts scheme.

that was a situation of poor job scouting by the colts and when hughes was put into a scheme that has allowed him to use his talents he has been very, very productive with the bills.

collier played a position that nfl teams are desperate for help and the seahawks took a flyer on him. still plenty of time to turn things around in seattle.