• The KillerFrogs

Potential transfer QB targets

dkfrog

Put Hill, Boykin, Pachall, Dalton, etc. in this years team and I think we would have gone 8-4 at the absolute worst, maybe even better. Flat out, QB is the most important position in football. There is no reason not to look at Reagor, Sewo, DA, and an O-Line that improved at the end of the year and returns almost everyone and not think you could be the one to put it over the top.

This team tops out around 8-4 with any of those guys in their second season (first as starter), sorry. I have no idea what all went into SR’s decision to transfer, but pre-injury he showed signs of being an elite qb, although one making first-year starter mistakes. That inexperience and a green o-line early are what held us back. As the line developed, we were forced to play backups at qb that couldn’t get it done to the level we’ve come to expect. I was feeling very optimistic going into next season with SR at qb, but now we start over.

Eight

Boykin and Hill has Sonny as a QB only coach...Splitting duties is clearly an issue

possibly and i think sonny could use someone bringing some new ideas to the offense, BUT i don't believe the dual role is why we saw shawn have difficulties or grayson make the decisions he did in the bowl game

4th. down

This team tops out around 8-4 with any of those guys in their second season (first as starter), sorry. I have no idea what all went into SR’s decision to transfer, but pre-injury he showed signs of being an elite qb, although one making first-year starter mistakes. That inexperience and a green o-line early are what held us back. As the line developed, we were forced to play backups at qb that couldn’t get it done to the level we’ve come to expect. I was feeling very optimistic going into next season with SR at qb, but now we start over.

Pre spring practice last year, we were very optimistic about our QB situation and now look how that's changed. We really need a serviceable grad transfer QB now to come in for us or we could be in trouble come fall. We don't know yet even if Collins will return to normal after his foot surgery. Believe the defense and offensive line will be ok along with the RB group. It's the QB's and receivers where the doubt is.

Mean Purple

he never showed signs of being an elite qb.

Moose Stuff

Sorry, I think the thing we have shown in the past few years is a complete inability to develop a QB. SR was a super highly rated recruit, and we see how he turned out. GM did great in the Baylor game when he came in mid-game. And again a week later against OkSU. But given a full month of coaching and game planning, he was abysmal. If I'm a highly rated QB recruit (or a potential transfer) I gotta have some serious doubts in my mind.

The other way to look at that is that every legitimate starter to play here for Sonny has turned out to be an above average college QB except for the one who got hurt and quit.

FrogLifeYo

possibly and i think sonny could use someone bringing some new ideas to the offense, BUT i don't believe the dual role is why we saw shawn have difficulties or grayson make the decisions he did in the bowl game
Nope...it’s not just one thing. I look around and see a lot of other programs doing better job with first year QBs then we do..I don’t know why but I believe it more to do with us not having any real identity on offense. There’s no series of plays that we can hand to a young QB and ask him to master. We are all over the place..Part TT Spread, Part read option, occasionally pistol...We just don’t know who or what we want to be on offense. Placing all that on the shoulders of a QB is begging for mediocrity and mistakes. Trying to have 50 wrinkles instead of just mastering a base offense that you can execute in your sleep..

Last edited:

4th. down

This is the million dollar question. GP gambled on Cumbie when he fired Meachum. Handed the keys over to a QB coach with zero OC pedigree..Right now he’s low in chips if you ask me..

You're right, he is very low in chips and if he doesn't get it done this year, he will be reduced to only QB position coach and he will probably leave. At this point, I can live with that.

Eight

Nope...it’s not just one thing. I look around and see a lot of other programs doing better job with first year QBs then we do..I don’t know why but I believe it more to do with us not having any real identity on offense. There’s no serious of plays that we can hand to a young QB and ask him to master. We are all over the place..Part TT Spread, Part read option, occasionally pistol...We just don’t know who or what we want to be on offense. Placing all that on the shoulders of a QB is begging for mediocrity and mistakes. Trying to have 50 wrinkles instead of just mastering a base offense that you can execute in your sleep..

i don't disagree frogs need to decide what type of offense they want to be and build from there.

i would also like to see better play design, but i don't think they have anyone on the staff who has shown to be proficient in designing an offense.

LisaLT

Georgia really laying an egg here. That should put to rest the notion they were one of the 4 best teams. They are getting man handled by the horns.

FrogLifeYo

i don't disagree frogs need to decide what type of offense they want to be and build from there.

i would also like to see better play design, but i don't think they have anyone on the staff who has shown to be proficient in designing an offense.
We just don’t have anyone on staff that has much experience calling plays or putting together a game plan. Sure there’s years of position coaching and being around the game but that’s all together different then being a coordinator who has to be able to break down film and understand situational football. Knowing what to do on 3rd and 4 late in a game from your own 38 when you’re down and you’ve been riding your best player..These are the things Cumbie is brutally bad at

dkfrog

I’ll bite...Can you give us some examples of elite QB play SR showed? I’m not saying he didn’t flash some potential but it didn’t go any further then that
It really doesn’t matter anymore since he’s gone, but I’ll just mention one thing. The guy looked like he belonged against Ohio State. Yes, he made some mistakes, but he looked comfortable running the offense on a big stage, was very accurate with the football, and gave us a chance to win. His mistakes were largely due to inexperience and trying to make too many things happen.

Eight

We just don’t have anyone on staff that has much experience calling plays or putting together a game plan. Sure there’s years of position coaching and being around the game but that’s all together different then being a coordinator who has to be able to break down film and understand situational football. Knowing what to do on 3rd and 4 late in a game from your own 38 when you’re down and you’ve been riding your best player..These are the things Cumbie is brutally bad at

burns has multiple years as oc at cincinnati, smu, and his time as co-oc with anderson.

agree on the rest of the staff and this is part of the issue when sonny has been able to hire 1 offensive staff member since he became oc.