• The KillerFrogs

Postseason Hoops thread & NCAA Tourney Challenge

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
1883 is not even in the same universe as Lonesome Dove. Larry McMurtry actually did a lot of research to capture the authentic historical flavor of the period and climate he wrote about in his massive novel, on which the miniseries was based. And it came across as authentic frontier and wilderness from Texas to Montana.

Taylor Sheridan just blended a bunch of clichéd Western stereotypes with a hatful of historical errors/anachronisms, then added a hash of 21st-century California wokeness, and -- voilà -- instant Hollywood-style miniseries!

As I said... not even in the same universe.
I haven't watched a frame of it, and don't plan to. If I wanted to watch dopey soap-operas with questionable acting, there's always General Hospital re-runs. Maybe even Dark Shadows if I was feeling particularly nostalgic...

As to the great McMurtry, Lonesome Dove is back on the TBR pile. Heavy rotation, man...

Deep Purple

I haven't watched a frame of it, and don't plan to. If I wanted to watch dopey soap-operas with questionable acting, there's always General Hospital re-runs. Maybe even Dark Shadows if I was feeling particularly nostalgic...
Two of the lead roles in 1883 are played not by professional actors with any legit chops. but by C&W singers Tim McGraw and wife Faith Hill. That should tell you all you need to know about how cheesy some of the production values of this miniseries are.

Eight

Overall I think it just

in general I think it just shows that Yellowstone isn’t as great of a series as it’s made out to be. We first watched 1883 and thought it was one of the best all time. (rivaling Lonesome Dove; which is a HUGE bar for me.). So we dove into Yellowstone thinking it would somewhat match it. Not so much. Stuck somewhere around season 3 and can’t get back into it.

to be fair, I think most roles in the series are vastly overplayed characters.

SCZwaWQ9QXBp

as i said, easily among the worst accent in the history of the entertainment industry, right there with nicholas cage in con air and mickey rooney in breakfast at tiffany's​

1883 is not even in the same universe as Lonesome Dove. Larry McMurtry actually did a lot of research to capture the authentic historical flavor of the period and climate he wrote about in his massive novel, on which the miniseries was based. And it came across as authentic frontier and wilderness from Texas to Montana.

Taylor Sheridan just blended a bunch of clichéd Western stereotypes with a hatful of historical errors/anachronisms, then added a hash of 21st-century California wokeness, and -- voilà -- instant Hollywood-style miniseries!

As I said... not even in the same universe.

Guarantee you Larry McMurtry was more woke than Sheridan is.

1883 was damn good for it's one season.

Yellowstone is garbage. Just kill of Beth and Rip please.

1923 is meh.

ShreveFrog

I think Auburn is 16-32 at FT line. Big man Broome is 6-16. And they are 2-20 on field goals second half. That was with under 4:00 to go.
Houston is dang good.

Last edited: