• The KillerFrogs

Postseason Hoops thread & NCAA Tourney Challenge

JogginFrog

That was a challenging clutch last shot for the 72-71 win, and from a 14 point 2nd half deficit. I found myself rooting for San Diego State in the end because I think they are the better team. “May the best team” win and I think it happened there. I like it for the Dutcher family too, and former longtime coach, Steve Fisher.
Was pulling for the Aztecs because I liked Fisher and it's easy to root for a longtime assistant who stayed loyal to the guy who hired him. Also grew up watching some great SDSU players play in El Paso. Michael Cage had a freakish wingspan and swallowed what seemed like every rebound. They also had one of the best point guards I ever saw. Never played in the NBA but had a decent post-college career--Tony Gwynn.

Was pulling for the Aztecs because I liked Fisher and it's easy to root for a longtime assistant who stayed loyal to the guy who hired him. Also grew up watching some great SDSU players play in El Paso. Michael Cage had a freakish wingspan and swallowed what seemed like every rebound. They also had one of the best point guards I ever saw. Never played in the NBA but had a decent post-college career--Tony Gwynn.
I did not know Gwynn played hoops.

Yes, very unusual, Brian Dutcher was with Steve Fisher for 9 years at Michigan and 18 at SDSU before finally becoming head coach in 2017 at age 58. He became the "head coach in waiting" in 2011, so it only took 6 more seasons from that point, haha. His dad, Jim Dutcher, was head coach at Minnesota for 11 years and then retired from coaching in 1986 at 53 and started a new career in finance until retiring in 2005 as a senior VP at Royal Bank of Canada-Dain, according to Wikipedia.

Last edited:

froginmn

That was a challenging clutch last shot for the 72-71 win, and from a 14 point 2nd half deficit. I found myself rooting for San Diego State in the end because I think they are the better team. “May the best team” win and I think it happened there. I like it for the Dutcher family too, and former longtime coach, Steve Fisher.
Jim Dutcher coached a potentially very good team in the mid 80s at Minnesota. Unfortunately the team fell apart when a couple big men were charged with sexual assault and a guard was arrested for taking stereo equipment out of dorm rooms of fellow students.

The line back then was that Dutcher was pleased because he finally found guards who could steal and forwards who could penetrate...

Jim Dutcher coached a potentially very good team in the mid 80s at Minnesota. Unfortunately the team fell apart when a couple big men were charged with sexual assault and a guard was arrested for taking stereo equipment out of dorm rooms of fellow students.

The line back then was that Dutcher was pleased because he finally found guards who could steal and forwards who could penetrate...
Jim then quit basketball at about age 53 and went into finance for 19 years. The players accused of assault were acquitted. That stain along with coach Bill Musselman’s previous issues and the later Clem Haskins’ academic cheating may have left a distaste for Gopher fans and boosters. And Gopher buckets is now in a hole, a gopher hole.

Last edited: