• The KillerFrogs

Postseason Hoops thread & NCAA Tourney Challenge

froginmn

As you pointed out, the answer is the former, it's silly already. So their stunt of potentially inviting DM to bring eyes to the tourney is reasonable, even understandable. Many teams turn down the CBI in general, so I don't think anyone was worried about cheapening it. I think they were worried about Pistol Pete. And I assure you, he probably doesn't care. There's nothing wrong with that sentiment. I just think it's weird to act on it.

I don't care either way truly. Just pointing out that it's strange to try to c block a kid that nobody is claiming is as good as Maravich. And the seniors on that team who aren't near a record, I feel bad for them if they wanted to play one more time together.
He's been dead for 35 years, so no disagreement.

My feeling is that if you're going to invite a team for no reason other than to spoon feed a kid a historic scoring record that he couldn't break in his first 144 games, that's [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

And keep in mind that to invite Mercy, they need to leave a more deserving team out. I assume you'd feel bad for the kids on that team, who also want to play one more game together and actually earned the right by winning some games.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

My feeling is that if you're going to invite a team for no reason other than to spoon feed a kid a historic scoring record that he couldn't break in his first 144 games, that's [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

And keep in mind that to invite Mercy, they need to leave a more deserving team out. I assume you'd feel bad for the kids on that team, who also want to play one more game together and actually earned the right by winning some games.
I would also yes. It's a zero sum situation in that regard. I just don't see why someone would go to the trouble of contacting the tournament about it.

Maybe they're North Alabama fans or whoever would have been left out. Oh well.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

And in regards to him being dead, yeah. That was my point.

Tournament game day and I have the Sweet Sixteen blues and Lampkin is a stick in my craw.

Good star veteran guard play is considered the means to winning in college basketball and the tournament in March. TCU had that this year with both Miles and Baugh and it may be a while before matching that backcourt again.

TCU was missing a healthy Lampkin to anchor the defense, rebounding and offense in the paint and at the rim. Dixon hinted at the end of summer sessions in August that Lampkin may have not been putting in the minimal work needed just to stay in shape, absent to some degree.

As it turned out, the team would’ve been better off without him the entire season so Doumbia could have been getting game time experience and comfort. Lampkin was a no-show for his team during the all important tournament time. Game minutes and player development spent on Lampkin for three years and he is no longer at TCU, taking his TCU experience to another team.

I have friends that don’t know how good TCU was and they gave them little to no chance versus Gonzaga. I had to explain to them what they were (including the Lampkin dust-up) over the last two seasons and that ain’t good, sheesh; only seeing is believing. TCU could have really used the Sweet 16 for program exposure.

I am hoping Baugh returns for the point position and maybe even takes his game to another level like Miles did this year.

Maybe incoming 4-star Jace Posey can immediately contribute and grow as a freshman shooting guard. I was hoping freshman PJ Haggerty could, but now news he is in the portal.

My rooting interest all on Houston now. I do want Texas to win one more so they rep the Big 12 well, but then lose to Houston. Kansas State winning will be good too for the conference, though each additional win by them stings because TCU is better, and what could have been.

Last edited:

LVH

Tournament game day and I have the Sweet Sixteen blues and Lampkin is a stick in my craw.

Good star veteran guard play is considered the means to winning in college basketball and the tournament in March. TCU had that this year with both Miles and Baugh and it may be a while before matching that backcourt again.

TCU was missing a healthy Lampkin to anchor the defense, rebounding and offense in the paint and at the rim. Dixon hinted at the end of summer sessions in August that Lampkin may have not been putting in the minimal work needed just to stay in shape, absent to some degree.

As it turned out, the team would’ve been better off without him the entire season so Doumbia could have been getting game time experience and comfort. Lampkin was a no-show for his team during the all important tournament time.

I have friends that didn’t know how good TCU was this year and gave them little chance versus Gonzaga. TCU could have really used the Sweet 16 for program exposure.

I am hoping Baugh returns for the point and takes his game to another level like Miles did this year.

Maybe incoming 4-star Jace Posey can immediately contribute and grow as a freshman shooting guard. I was hoping freshman PJ Haggerty could but now news he is in the portal.

My rooting interest all on Houston now. Well, I want Texas to win one more so they rep’ the Big 12 and then lose to Houston. Kansas State winning will be good for the Big 12 too, though each additional win by them stings because TCU is better.
I still have the blues as well, mainly because this team was motivated after last year. We weren't expected to have a good season last year, so just getting to the 2nd round was great even with the tough loss to AZ, but we expected more this year so 2nd round exit is disappointing

I will not root for UH though. scheiss them

JogginFrog

The top-end play of this year's TCU team was at a level that Frog fans have never seen. Beating a top NCAA seed by 23 on its home court--and the top overall seed by 30 in a practice game (which Alabama points to as a defining moment of its season)--is a level of excellence I never thought I'd see from TCU hoops (not that I saw the Alabama game).

Maybe @Wog68 can add a game from his era, but the only games that even come close to the win at the Phog are the 1998 home win over #11 New Mexico, last year's 27-point NCAA tourney win, and maybe the 32-point NIT final win in 2017.

(I'll give an honorable mention to my first exposure to TCU hoops--the 2-day run at the 1983 SWC tournament when the Frogs took down #5 Arkansas and then nearly beat the 6th-best team in NCAA history--but I count that as the heights of scrappiness, not dominance, that characterized Killingsworth's teams.)

True, it's disappointing to again not get to the second weekend of the NCAAs, and we'd have all liked to see Lampkin at 100% banging with Timme to help the Frogs get there. I feel for his teammates and the work they put in. But I also believe these Frogs are the dawn of great teams to come. The foundation has been laid.

Eight

The top-end play of this year's TCU team was at a level that Frog fans have never seen. Beating a top NCAA seed by 23 on its home court--and the top overall seed by 30 in a practice game (which Alabama points to as a defining moment of its season)--is a level of excellence I never thought I'd see from TCU hoops (not that I saw the Alabama game).

Maybe @Wog68 can add a game from his era, but the only games that even come close to the win at the Phog are the 1998 home win over #11 New Mexico, last year's 27-point NCAA tourney win, and maybe the 32-point NIT final win in 2017.

(I'll give an honorable mention to my first exposure to TCU hoops--the 2-day run at the 1983 SWC tournament when the Frogs took down #5 Arkansas and then nearly beat the 6th-best team in NCAA history--but I count that as the heights of scrappiness, not dominance, that characterized Killingsworth's teams.)

True, it's disappointing to again not get to the second weekend of the NCAAs, and we'd have all liked to see Lampkin at 100% banging with Timme to help the Frogs get there. I feel for his teammates and the work they put in. But I also believe these Frogs are the dawn of great teams to come. The foundation has been laid.

much like football, the key now is what does jamie and his staff do to keep building this program

we have seen multiple examples of programs that have effectively used the transfer portal to reload quickly and that will need to be the frogs for next year

Deep Purple

I will not root for UH though. scheiss them
What did they ever do to you? Sounds like you harbor the same venom toward them that most here reserve for UT. At least in the case of UT, it's justified by both past and recent actions. Not sure what could by a legit gripe against UH.

Just curious...

LVH

What did they ever do to you? Sounds like you harbor the same venom toward them that most here reserve for UT. At least in the case of UT, it's justified by both past and recent actions. Not sure what could by a legit gripe against UH.

Just curious...
The Herman era really soured me on their program/culture.

Paradoxotaur

which school?
Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨