• The KillerFrogs

Postseason Hoops thread & NCAA Tourney Challenge

JogginFrog

Mid-major conference tournaments are underway and teams getting sized for slippers. Until today, I had never heard of Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis, but he's apparently about to break the D1 college scoring record of a player who @tcudoc has in his top-10 players of all time. (He'da had a bunch more with a 3-point line, but I still would favor the first guy to average a triple-double for a season.)

I digress. This is about college hoops. Those who want to jump into a KF.c tournament picks pool can do so here. Two brackets per player limit.

Amazingly, a couple of teams that handed the Frogs' not-so-good losses--West Virginia and Miss State--are suddenly in Lunardi's projected field, and Okie State is in the first four out. Northwestern State won its 21st game this week and is the 2-seed in the Southland tournament. Depending on how things break, it's possible that every TCU loss could be to a tournament team.

A couple of weeks ago, it looked like bluebloods Kentucky and North Carolina might both miss the tournament. UK has since played its way back into the top 25 but the Tarheels are still on the bubble. Hoping @This Ain't Chopped Liver can jump in with some other storylines. What say the rest of you?

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Curious how you define "mid-major" conferences when it comes to basketball. IMHO, that was an offensive term when applied to football conferences, but has no application to basketeball.

LVH

Anyone worried about the Frogs getting bumped to the dreaded 5-seed after last night's win?
Yes... I'd rather be a 6. When you look at teams seeded outside the Top 4 who have made runs to the Elite 8 or Final Four, most of them come from the 2-3-6-7 side of the bracket. Like George Mason, Loyola, South Carolina, VCU, St. Peter's all came from that half of the bracket

Plus some of the projected 12 seeds are pretty damn good, like Bradley and Oral Roberts. I would not want to play either. VCU and Charleston don't scare me. We basically are the same team as Charleston but better.

I'd much rather be a 6 seed and play an underachieving 11 seed who doesn't belong in the tournament like Wisconsin, Memphis or Arizona State, than a strong mid major 12 seed any day of the week. That's the main reason so many 5 seeds lose, is because the 12 seeds are often where they slot the strongest mid major teams who are good, but no one knows how good because they didn't play a strong schedule.

Those 13 seeds also look scary with Liberty and Utah Valley. And the 14 seeds may even be stronger with UC Irvine, Furman and Iona. Any team seeded 4 or better needs to hope that some of those teams lose in their conference tournament and don't win their league's auto bid because all of those teams are very capable.

froginmn

East Coast

Tier 1
Didn’t the term mid-major start in basketball, used by ESPN folks like Dick Vital way back in the days of Big East dominance?
Yes, it used to apply to conferences that played pretty good basketball, but were not considered elite. They would often be awarded multiple bids. A good example of this was the Atlantic 10 when it still had Temple. The Atlantic 10 still plays pretty good basketball, and UMASS and Rhode Island have 10 and 9 out of conference wins this year.

Brog

Mid-major conference tournaments are underway and teams getting sized for slippers. Until today, I had never heard of Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis, but he's apparently about to break the D1 college scoring record of a player who @tcudoc has in his top-10 players of all time. (He'da had a bunch more with a 3-point line, but I still would favor the first guy to average a triple-double for a season.)

I digress. This is about college hoops. Those who want to jump into a KF.c tournament picks pool can do so here. Two brackets per player limit.

Amazingly, a couple of teams that handed the Frogs' not-so-good losses--West Virginia and Miss State--are suddenly in Lunardi's projected field, and Okie State is in the first four out. Northwestern State won its 21st game this week and is the 2-seed in the Southland tournament. Depending on how things break, it's possible that every TCU loss could be to a tournament team.

A couple of weeks ago, it looked like bluebloods Kentucky and North Carolina might both miss the tournament. UK has since played its way back into the top 25 but the Tarheels are still on the bubble. Hoping @This Ain't Chopped Liver can jump in with some other storylines. What say the rest of you?
Pistol Pete played in a total of 88 games in his career. Davis will have played in 144 and is still 3 shy of Pete's record. Davis' team went 14-19 this year so couldn't make the NCAA tournament. But there's something called the CBI tournament, and his team may be invited to play in it just so he can get the 3 points he needs to break the record. Asterisk, anyone?

y2kFrog

Pistol Pete played in a total of 88 games in his career. Davis will have played in 144 and is still 3 shy of Pete's record. Davis' team went 14-19 this year so couldn't make the NCAA tournament. But there's something called the CBI tournament, and his team may be invited to play in it just so he can get the 3 points he needs to break the record. Asterisk, anyone?

I heard something to the effect of if you took 88 best individual performances from this year it will still fall about 300 points shy of his record.

StinnettFrog

dobbiesquad4

Top odds to win it all per Foxsports.com article...
Houston Cougars 5 to 1
Alabama Crimson Tide 8 to 1
Kansas Jayhawks 10 to 1
Purdue Boilermakers 12 to 1
UCLA Bruins 14 to 1
Gonzaga Bulldogs 15 to 1

So we have to beat 3 of the top 6 per Vegas to make the Final 4. I don't think it's a conspiracy but it's a tough draw.

TCU at 33 to 1. Kansas State 66 to 1. Iowa State 100 to 1.
I got 50/1 odds from Caesars back in November so I’m hoping for a very nice payoff.