• The KillerFrogs

Possibly the worst Defense since I started watching the Frogs my Freshman year in 1984

Spike

I remember that year. Against Arkansas they had so many injuries that they were pulling people out of the stands. The O was pretty good between the 20s but horrible in the red zone.

Jackson

This TCU Defense is offensive. The secondary isn’t within 5 yards of receivers….the DL rarely makes a tackle….and the LBs get run over regularly. In summery the Defense can’t tackle!

Froggy Style

When did Bumpas retire? It feels like it slowly deteriorated ever since then.
It deteriorated with the invention of the RPO...and Gary's defense immediately jumped the shark because he thinks he can just coach through it rather that adjust to Matt Campbell's defense.

We better wise up and make a switch to a new staff, because Gary ain't changing and he and his merry band of incompetent boobs is gonna milk this school for all it is willing to pay.

Atomic Frawg

When did Bumpas retire? It feels like it slowly deteriorated ever since then.
After the Peach bowl, IIRC, and you will find plenty of people who believe that was a turning point in our defense. In the sports world, if you coach anything for 20 years you are going to develop tendencies. CGP has tendencies that he hasn't recognized. That's why it's important to bring in new people periodically. The 4-2-5 has become much more common, and there are programs that still run it well. My two cents says get one of the coaches who is running it well and bring him in to be the actual coordinator.

And whatever happened to blitzing? We used to blitz put near every other play back in the day. We aren't doing our DBs any favors by giving QBs 10 seconds to find a receiver. Anyway...

Prime BEEF

After the Peach bowl, IIRC, and you will find plenty of people who believe that was a turning point in our defense. In the sports world, if you coach anything for 20 years you are going to develop tendencies. CGP has tendencies that he hasn't recognized. That's why it's important to bring in new people periodically. The 4-2-5 has become much more common, and there are programs that still run it well. My two cents says get one of the coaches who is running it well and bring him in to be the actual coordinator.

And whatever happened to blitzing? We used to blitz put near every other play back in the day. We aren't doing our DBs any favors by giving QBs 10 seconds to find a receiver. Anyway...
Which coaches out there run the 4-2-5 well? Not being a dick…legitimately don’t know

Atomic Frawg

Which coaches out there run the 4-2-5 well? Not being a dick…legitimately don’t know
According to this article, Ohio State, Georgia Tech, Alabama, TCU do...along with...West Virginia. I also believe Boise does, as well. The Cleveland Browns also have the 4-2-5 as their base defense. This isn't an inclusive list, but my point is that the 4-2-5 is more common now and lots of teams, on varying levels, are using it. There has to be a coach somewhere lighting it up who we can get to TCU.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
I have been watching the Frogs since 1978. I commented to my kids the other day that our current defense reminds me of the defenses we had back in the FA Dry era when we couldn't stop anyone. Hodges-Tomlinson is clearly our best defender, but he's hardly a significant playmaker. Probably the worst front four of the last 20 years in terms of production, with the worst linebackers ever. I remember when our second team LBs were crazy MFers that could start for other teams. These days they are like a black hole, sucking opposing running backs forward to huge plays on seemingly every series.

masterfrog

The worst defense I saw as a TCU fan was 1985 after the suspensions. They gave up 63 at Texas Tech and it was Tech's only conference win. The offense was even worse as they scored 7 points or less in five of the games after the suspensions.