• The KillerFrogs

Position by Position Thoughts After 3 Games

pgdaly84

QB: Typical growing pains that popped up at the worst possible time against tOSU, but Robinson clearly has a high ceiling. He needs to run more, and I think he’ll learn to balance his running and passing with more reps. Collins looks like a very talented backup.

OL: Our tackles are good. Our guards are “meh.” Hollins seems like he’ll be a really good center. The guard spots seem to be the weakest spots on the OL year to year. Hopefully, we can improve over the next few years as Thomson gets more of his recruits.

WR: Lots of speed, somewhat shaky hands. We seem to still have more drops than I’d like.

TE: Starting to think we just don’t want to ever use this position in the passing game or we are abysmal at recruiting TE’s.

RB’s: Darius is just amazing. Sewo is a nice compliment. Been really happy with Demarcado when he’s played, too.

Kicker: Ugh

Punter: Ugh

Return Game: Great in two games, nonexistent against tOSU. They were very fast and well prepared on kick coverage.

DE: Banogu has been disruptive. Summers does well in obvious passing downs, but he gets pushed around on running plays. We really need Collier to get healthy. Need Bowen and someone else to step up for depth.

DT: Bethley is a beast. Big Joe is solid. We really need Cooper and/or Ellis to start showing something. Blacklock has been a huge loss, but that’s not a surprise.

LB: Biggest disappointment so far. Bad tackling, over running plays, missing gaps, etc. Wallow is showing promise, but he’s still too small and is a sloppy tackler. Evans has been bad. He’s better than he’s shown this year. Would love to see more of Jawaun Johnson and to get Ty back to LB full time.

FS: Niko would make a great backup. He’s a liability as a starter. Gets beat every game for a big play and is regularly out of position. He doesn’t have the athleticism to make up for it. Would love to see more Vernon Scott. Kid made an NFL level play on the pass breakup down the sideline against tOSU.

WS: Ridwan has been solid but not great. This spot seems to have less depth than the others. Hopefully, Simmons can get healthy.

SS: Gaines is a stud. Dude has been the best player on our D.

CB: Been really pleased with the corners. Gladney has been really good and Noah Daniels really stepped up against tOSU.

What does the board think?

jake102

Agree with all of it I think.

OG is the biggest weakness on offense. Which is pretty obvious since we tried to play Myers at RG while McKinney was at LT.

Defense needs one more DE and Collier to get in game shape. That would theoretically let Summers focus on LB which would secure the spot next to Wallow and solve our biggest problem.

FS and WS are very average. Smart players, not very athletic.

H0RNEDFR0G

I'm thinking we should see some new faces at Punter and Kicker this week. Bunce has missed 2 FGs in a row but he will likely still handle kickoffs and PATs. Nunez has struggled to get a couple of punts off. Andrew David took over duties for our last punt of the Ohio State game.

4th. down

I cannot disagree but believe Banogu misses Ross. Ross had to be double teamed which helped Banogu.

Put Summers back at LB. Where is Wilson? Need more Dunham.

Anderson needs 18-20 carries/game and need to see Derius Davis on the field, he's lighting in a bottle. Move Turp back to slot with Davis in the other slot and Reagor and Hights wide - impossible to stop.

I like Scott over Ridwan at WS. Woodward not yet ready for FS over Small as Small sets up the secondary. Wish Scott could play FS

SnoSki

4 thoughts from me:

- Need more Noah Daniels on the field.
- Niko is good at run support but very suspect with the pass coverage. If you look at the big pass plays we've allowed in the last couple seasons, it's usually in his direction. OP had it right.
- I think the best LB rotation is Summers and Wallow, but if they insist on Summers at DE it seems that we're really hurting for talent at LB. Wallow will be a star someday but not looking like it just yet. I'm not used to TCU not having a solid LB corp.
- Please, GP, spend a scholly on a Kicker and a field-flipping punter. It's worth it, especially in the big games.

Eight

QB: Typical growing pains that popped up at the worst possible time against tOSU, but Robinson clearly has a high ceiling. He needs to run more, and I think he’ll learn to balance his running and passing with more reps. Collins looks like a very talented backup.

OL: Our tackles are good. Our guards are “meh.” Hollins seems like he’ll be a really good center. The guard spots seem to be the weakest spots on the OL year to year. Hopefully, we can improve over the next few years as Thomson gets more of his recruits.

WR: Lots of speed, somewhat shaky hands. We seem to still have more drops than I’d like.

TE: Starting to think we just don’t want to ever use this position in the passing game or we are abysmal at recruiting TE’s.

RB’s: Darius is just amazing. Sewo is a nice compliment. Been really happy with Demarcado when he’s played, too.

Return Game: Great in two games, nonexistent against tOSU. They were very fast and well prepared on kick coverage.

DE: Banogu has been disruptive. Summers does well in obvious passing downs, but he gets pushed around on running plays. We really need Collier to get healthy. Need Bowen and someone else to step up for depth.

DT: Bethley is a beast. Big Joe is solid. We really need Cooper and/or Ellis to start showing something. Blacklock has been a huge loss, but that’s not a surprise.

LB: Biggest disappointment so far. Bad tackling, over running plays, missing gaps, etc. Wallow is showing promise, but he’s still too small and is a sloppy tackler. Evans has been bad. He’s better than he’s shown this year. Would love to see more of Jawaun Johnson and to get Ty back to LB full time.

FS: Niko would make a great backup. He’s a liability as a starter. Gets beat every game for a big play and is regularly out of position. He doesn’t have the athleticism to make up for it. Would love to see more Vernon Scott. Kid made an NFL level play on the pass breakup down the sideline against tOSU.

WS: Ridwan has been solid but not great. This spot seems to have less depth than the others. Hopefully, Simmons can get healthy.

CB: Been really pleased with the corners. Gladney has been really good and Noah Daniels really stepped up against tOSU.

shawn has shown every physical tool we thought he had coming into this season and more importantly he has shown presence and confidence.

you could see in the deep ball to heights that the things gary mentioned after the smu game where more than just words to robinson. the accuracy is more a matter of putting the ball on the proper shoulder of the receiver and that is correctable. he has improved in that area since high school and last year and i think we will continue to see that from him.

i also agree that he has shown a tendency to stay in the pocket and try to make a play with his arm versus his feet. needs to find the balance point.

offensive line i agree with whomever said it looks like niang and myers are the next two frog o-tackles to get a chance in the nfl. when you look at the roster few options at guard. gap in recruiting think the long term answers are there but need more time, work, strength training.

short term answer is what we saw at the start of the game and that is myers next to niang which is impressive pair on the right side. those two together would force defenses to recognize the frogs are going to run right until the world looks flat unless they scheme to stop it which opens up other things.

for that to work mckinney has to get better plain and simple. it would also help if the back-up group can provide competent relief in real game action

tight end they have flashed lynn in the passing game and i think sonny is still working on the identity of this offense.

bigger key to me is the outside receivers. there are bodies, there is talent and there needs to be more consistent production don't need to be dominant, just consistent and allow reagor to slide inside the slot at times similar to the way ou uses brown. if tcu could put jalen in a position where he isn't getting jammed and grabbed all the time i don't know who can guard him.

d-line ross is gone for the year so it is up to the young tackles. bethley, cooper and ellis have to be more consistent. lj has to be something more than he was on saturday and one of the young de's must step up.

summers back to lb would be a big step, but i was really puzzled by the play of the upper classmen linebackers. gary specifically identified the "linebacker" other than wallow for not lining up properly. older players can get physically beaten after the snap, it is going to happen but you can not put yourself in a position before the snap were you can't make the play.

corners look good, gaines is a beast, hope simmons gets well, love the second group of safeties, and niko is niko. he is there as much to get the secondary lined up properly as he is for coverage.

defenisvely biggest thing is poor tackling has to get better and more consistency from the young players

GetToTheQB

I agree with you for the most part.

QB- I wrote up yesterday... phenomenal. Shawn has been everything we could have hoped for. His deep ball actually causes me to wake up in the middle of the night.

WR- the usual... We dont stick with a rotation. this has been a staple in our offense for years now though. I cannot complain because they make me eat my words. On the tre Hights bomb.. i literally told the guy to my right there is no way he does anything. I ate the words. 87 looks good. Did the same on dylan thomas... the third quarter was a bit of a blur but i remember a great third down conversion, maybe even two.. Man- i am disappointed with Turpin. He does all of these phenomenal things during the week against the southerns and Smu's of the world, but seems to step down when the comp gets better. Last big game i can think he played was early 16 against ARK/ OU. Reagor is just an absolute specimen. I do not like to rag on players, but man I think Jaelan Austin is miserable. I thought in the off season he would work on his seperation/ breakaway... nope. Great kid though, root for him consistently. have not seen him make a catch since Norman (which was an incredible get)

OL- head on the nail in your analysis. Niang and Myers had to have locked down LT and RT. Cordell and Kellton look good. RG is a massive liability

TE- How about Artavis Lynn on the roll out first drive! would like to see more.

DL- The biggest disappointment for me personally. We have not been able to get to the QB at all. When we got to Haskins, we saw him break down and hurl the ball into the sidelines. Need more of it. We need more pass rush. NEED IT.

LB- Spot on. Have to give a learning curve to Wallow. Have not been impressed with Summers. I want Arico Evans bad, but he hasnt performed to the best of his ability!

Innis- Best player on the Defense. Sensational ball player. Has to have a good shot of playing on sundays if he puts on another 10-15 pounds

Niko- Spot on. Great analysis. I like the part where you said it seems he gets burned for 6 once a game and holds up besides that. It really is true. I am just thinking of Mark Andrews, the fade to KJ Hill last Saturday. I mean it is spot on. Once a game he gives up 6. I want to see 26 Vernon Scott too.

Ridwan- Makes great tackles. part of me knows what he did to the team last spring- another reason im not a fan. He can hold up though. Solid ball player, would like to see him get home on some of the blitzes. He cannot hit the gaps like Innis can.

DB's- Phenomenal. we never talk about gladney, which is a good thing for a CB. Hope Noah locked down the second corner job on Sat when he came in off the bench and locked down every 5***** skill pos. OSU had.

GetToTheQB

shawn has shown every physical tool we thought he had coming into this season and more importantly he has shown presence and confidence.

you could see in the deep ball to heights that the things gary mentioned after the smu game where more than just words to robinson. the accuracy is more a matter of putting the ball on the proper shoulder of the receiver and that is correctable. he has improved in that area since high school and last year and i think we will continue to see that from him.

i also agree that he has shown a tendency to stay in the pocket and try to make a play with his arm versus his feet. needs to find the balance point.

offensive line i agree with whomever said it looks like niang and myers are the next two frog o-tackles to get a chance in the nfl. when you look at the roster few options at guard. gap in recruiting think the long term answers are there but need more time, work, strength training.

short term answer is what we saw at the start of the game and that is myers next to niang which is impressive pair on the right side. those two together would force defenses to recognize the frogs are going to run right until the world looks flat unless they scheme to stop it which opens up other things.

for that to work mckinney has to get better plain and simple. it would also help if the back-up group can provide competent relief in real game action

tight end they have flashed lynn in the passing game and i think sonny is still working on the identity of this offense.

bigger key to me is the outside receivers. there are bodies, there is talent and there needs to be more consistent production don't need to be dominant, just consistent and allow reagor to slide inside the slot at times similar to the way ou uses brown. if tcu could put jalen in a position where he isn't getting jammed and grabbed all the time i don't know who can guard him.

d-line ross is gone for the year so it is up to the young tackles. bethley, cooper and ellis have to be more consistent. lj has to be something more than he was on saturday and one of the young de's must step up.

summers back to lb would be a big step, but i was really puzzled by the play of the upper classmen linebackers. gary specifically identified the "linebacker" other than wallow for not lining up properly. older players can get physically beaten after the snap, it is going to happen but you can not put yourself in a position before the snap were you can't make the play.

corners look good, gaines is a beast, hope simmons gets well, love the second group of safeties, and niko is niko. he is there as much to get the secondary lined up properly as he is for coverage.

defenisvely biggest thing is poor tackling has to get better and more consistency from the young players

Ding ding ding

jake102

4 thoughts from me:

- Need more Noah Daniels on the field.
- Niko is good at run support but very suspect with the pass coverage. If you look at the big pass plays we've allowed in the last couple seasons, it's usually in his direction. OP had it right.
- I think the best LB rotation is Summers and Wallow, but if they insist on Summers at DE it seems that we're really hurting for talent at LB. Wallow will be a star someday but not looking like it just yet. I'm not used to TCU not having a solid LB corp.
- Please, GP, spend a scholly on a Kicker and a field-flipping punter. It's worth it, especially in the big games.

I really don't think we need to worry about Daniels not playing

ETXFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass

I agree with your thoughts on NIko, he is a pass coverage liability. Id like to see Artayvious Lynn see a few targets a game at TE, he is a physical specimen. I also think Travontae Hights has earned some more playing time. I haven't been very impressed with Jaelan Austin.

FrogLifeYo

I know many of us are down on McKinney because he got whipped by Bosa but I don’t see any DEs in the Big12 even close to Bosa. I believe the drop off at Guard is worse then tackle. I’m willing to bet we see McKinney back at Tackle with Meyer moving to RG again very soon. I think Thomsen believes that McKinney is one of his best 5 and wants to have his best 5 lineman on the field.

Eight

I know many of us are down on McKinney because he got whipped by Bosa but I don’t see any DEs in the Big12 even close to Bosa. I believe the drop off at Guard is worse then tackle. I’m willing to bet we see McKinney back at Tackle with Meyer moving to RG again very soon. I think Thomsen believes that McKinney is one of his best 5 and wants to have his best 5 lineman on the field.

i agree that ct showed he is wanting to put the frogs 5 best offensive linemen on the field with his starting lineup last week.

i also agree that mckinney has the tools to be an impact player for the frogs at the left tackle position. really would like to see myers and niang side by side for a full game

AroundWorldFrog

And to think I got royally torched for saying we would miss Blacklock more than anyone realized. Looks like a lot of people coming around now. Can't lose a guy of that talent and size and not drop a notch.

Eight

And to think I got royally torched for saying we would miss Blacklock more than anyone realized. Looks like a lot of people coming around now. Can't lose a guy of that talent and size and not drop a notch.

i think it is a matter of many things coming at one time.

big ross is missed, but if he was back and we still had the issues at de which mean moving summers to de and the linebackers don't line up properly there are still issues.

jake102

Collier not playing and then starting slow was really painful when mixed with Blacklock being out.

But definitely agree that losing Blacklock was a really bad loss.

MAcFroggy

A couple comments as well:

- Is Song just permanently is CGP's doghouse? He has never missed a field goal, had a pretty good overall percentage in XP last year, and perfect this year for XP. I just do not get it. I feel like it is just Gary being stubborn. Let Bunce do the kickoffs, but Song needs to be the field goal kicker IMO.

- Agree with getting the best 5 linemen on the field. The OL has been much better than I expected. Hollins has been really good, and I think he can grow into a leader of the line over the next few years.

- The combo of Daniels/Lewis has been good. I thought this would be a true weakness of the team, but that does not appear to be the case. The true weakness of the defense appears to be linebacker. Summers needs to be back at LB full time.