• The KillerFrogs

Ponying Up: SMU embarks on $100 million football stadium upgrade

82 Frog Fever

Main upgrade isn’t to the stadium, but to the football ops center. We’re building a new one; the current one is about 20 years old and shared with other sports. But yes, I agree, you’re not going to see zillion dollar locker rooms with XBoxes in each locker going forward; donors will divert that money directly to the players’ pockets for better ROI

Other than optics, I don’t see what this does for SMU. The stadium is still really small and avg. attendance is only 20k.
I honestly believe a $100m NIL fund + upgraded player’s facilities, locker rooms, TVs, gaming, & lounge/food/study areas would have been better.
SMU’s main issue is lack of interest and fan attendance. Their schedule becomes even weaker in 2 years, which adds to the problem. SMU must at least add 2 mid P5 teams to their future schedules & consistently beat many of them before they’ll become relevant to any P5 conference. Also, having TCU on your schedule year after year (especially the last 4 years) hasn’t helped either school.

The Park Cities are great, but even the HPISD school board is being taken over by woke, virtue-signaling leftists. Ergo, ECM evacuated.
I appreciate most of your posts here, but if you left beautiful urban Park Cities for sterile “cow pasture” of suburban expansion because of your political perception, I question your judgement. Cost would be a better reason.

Last edited:

hiphopfroggy

Ford stadium is a good-looking clean traditional single rake seating bowl and the endzone addition will make it look complete, while leaving the east side available for a future second deck with many more seats maybe capped with sun protection
Agreed, filling in their bowl is going to look very nice. I think I'll make a TCU game there when it is done. Kudo's to SMU for making this happen, I hope it pays off for them.

westoverhillbilly

Someone mentioned Rice's vast overbuilding their stadium as did TCU in 1957 when they added the upper deck and then only had three sellouts over the next 52 years (A&M '57, Texas '84, A&M '95) until an overcapacity crowd against Utah in 2009. Point is, SMU needs fewer seats and never will need more, and is making a very poor decision. The only beneficiaries will be the building contractors, crews and their suppliers.

ECM

I appreciate most of your posts here, but if you left beautiful urban Park Cities for sterile “cow pasture” of suburban expansion because of your political perception, I question your judgement. Cost would be a better reason.
I decided I didn’t want to be a few minutes away from a massive urban center for the next 20 years if people are talking about defunding the police and decriminalizing theft. The new Dallas DA is a complete loon.

Big Frog II

I decided I didn’t want to be a few minutes away from a massive urban center for the next 20 years if people are talking about defunding the police and decriminalizing theft. The new Dallas DA is a complete loon.
Dallas has lots of problems currently. I don't blame you.