• The KillerFrogs

Ponying Up: SMU embarks on $100 million football stadium upgrade

Brog

Probably 35-36. Previously it was 32 and that didn’t include the hill where a lot of people sit.
After the renovation/enlargement, they're going to have a lot more room for empty seats. They'll be able to accommodate a lot more no-shows than they can handle just now.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
After the renovation/enlargement, they're going to have a lot more room for empty seats. They'll be able to accommodate a lot more no-shows than they can handle just now.
and let's not forget those 5 empty seats which will remain vacant for the rest of time.

ECM

and let's not forget those 5 empty seats which will remain vacant for the rest of time.
They are buried underneath. Do yall have a spot in your stadium commemorating all of victims of domestic violence at the hands (literally) of Trevone Boykin?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
They are buried underneath. Do yall have a spot in your stadium commemorating all of victims of domestic violence at the hands (literally) of Trevone Boykin?
Boykin has not killed any women, which unlike the five hookers Craig James killed, is confirmed.

Good luck with the expansion, It looks nice, the new facilities will be a great addition. But even when you had your best seasons since the DP under Dykes, your stadium was mostly empty. Best of luck.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Lamentable as that is, it doesn’t change the constant rumors about Craig James killing five hookers. At least Boykin was brought to justice. While SMU’s Craig James walks a free man, not even charged with killing five hookers.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
My first thought was they’d be better served using the 100 million for NIL money.
This is an interesting point. It seems like for good while there was an “arms race” in regards to facilities at many schools (TCU certainly included), as that was something to legally pour money into. Now that you can legally just dump money on players, wouldn’t be surprised to see spending on facilities to fall way off.

I’ll admit I don’t know the situation at SMU well enough to judge, but every time I’ve been there, that stadium seems fine. Empty, but a fine enough facility. But I’ll also admit that I find the business side of college football illogical.

Last edited:

ECM

This is an interesting point. It seems like for good while there was an “arms race” in regards to facilities at many schools (TCU certainly included), as that was something to legally pour money into. Now that you can legally just dump money on players, wouldn’t be surprised to see spending on facilities to fall way off.

I’ll admit I don’t know the situation at SMU well enough to judge, but every time I’ve been there, that stadium seems fine. Empty, but a fine enough facility. But I’ll also admit that I find the business side of college football illogical.
Main upgrade isn’t to the stadium, but to the football ops center. We’re building a new one; the current one is about 20 years old and shared with other sports. But yes, I agree, you’re not going to see zillion dollar locker rooms with XBoxes in each locker going forward; donors will divert that money directly to the players’ pockets for better ROI

Frog-in-law1995

Only University of North Texas fans park that far away
We actually park further. One of our TCU group lives on Milton. We all pregame there and stumble our way the 12 or so blocks to the stadium. Tried Uber one year but it took longer. We really need to pre-arrange those rickshaw things, but nobody thinks that far ahead.