• The KillerFrogs

Poll: Cumbie Not Calling Offense

Who was the OC for the OSU game?

• Sonny Cumbie

• Chris Thomsen

Results are only viewable after voting.

Horny4TCU

I'm working on my Startlegram thread titles to get clicks... Anyway. My brother has a theory, and I think there might be some validity to it. Curious, what everyone's thoughts are.

The Theory: It might have been Thomsen calling the Offense. He has a pretty extensive background on the offensive side of the ball. He has been an OC, HC, and Line coach.

Cumbie at least might be getting help from him, because there were too many wrinkles last game, that have not been there all season.

Anyone else think this might be a change Patterson is going to announce in the off season?

Horny4TCU

Shut up. Please shut up.
How about you lighten up and get out your tin foil hat?

giphy.gif

Horny4TCU

The offense Saturday was pretty different... Anyone with the game recorded, can you tell me if we did one lateral pass? The game did not have the same feel as the rest of season. The line was utilized better and we ran straight at OSU, verse doing stupid lateral passes.

Horny4TCU

I hesitate to even respond here but, what the hell, I'm bored. When I re-watched the game, Cumbie was shown in the press box several times calling plays. I'm not sure Thomsen even wears a headset.
Oh, well that changes everything... Did not see the game on the TV, and did not record it. Did go to it, but I can't really see the press box or sidelines...

Deep Purple

I'm working on my Startlegram thread titles to get clicks... Anyway. My brother has a theory, and I think there might be some validity to it. Curious, what everyone's thoughts are.

The Theory: It might have been Thomsen calling the Offense. He has a pretty extensive background on the offensive side of the ball. He has been an OC, HC, and Line coach.

Cumbie at least might be getting help from him, because there were too many wrinkles last game, that have not been there all season.

Anyone else think this might be a change Patterson is going to announce in the off season?
This, from the same guy who claimed Patterson "called out" Sonny Cumbie, when all Gary really said was "Obviously we see what we have to do within the creativity part of it, to be able to keep up with the people that score the amount of points that they score in this league."

That was Horny4TCU's extrapolated, CNN-worthy take on Patterson's largely neutral comment. Now we have his brother's theory that Thomson was calling plays for Cumbie. Wow.

Brace yourself for future posts about the shooter on the grassy knoll and the 9/11 inside job. Hidden agendas and conspiracies everywhere.

Horny4TCU

This, from the same guy who claimed Patterson "called out" Sonny Cumbie, when all Gary really said was "Obviously we see what we have to do within the creativity part of it, to be able to keep up with the people that score the amount of points that they score in this league."

That was Horny4TCU's extrapolated, CNN-worthy take on Patterson's largely neutral comment. Now we have his brother's theory that Thomson was calling plays for Cumbie. Wow.

Brace yourself for future posts about the shooter on the grassy knoll and the 9/11 inside job. Hidden agendas and conspiracies everywhere.
200.webp

4th. down

Something has changed. Maybe GP has cut Cumbie loose or maybe someone else is operating behind the curtain, but I like it.

I have to agree, it wasn't the same offense. You could see Sonny in the pressbox calling down the plays but the real question to me was who tutored him during the week game planning? I cannot recall the TCU offensive line giving so many false keys on the running game and as a result, running lanes and even big holes opening up.

Offensively, something has happened in our game planning, and would look for Reagor to begin getting about 15 touches/game, not including kickoffs or punts. Against Baylor Reagor gets 6 touches for 127 yds. or 21 yds./touch. Against OSU, 13 touches for 213 yds. or 16 yds./touch.

So, it seems to me someone told Sonny, hey, get the ball to your no. 1 talent, repeatedly and take the pressure off your QB to win the game for you. I don't think it was Luper or Thomsen but someone who has offensive stature visited Sonny from the outside. Too big a change to come from the current staff in my opinion.

tcujsauce

This is all just sarcasm, right? Can't imagine someone would actually think this and post it as a serious curiosity.

4th. down

Or maybe, just maybe........Cumbie did his job, re-evaluated what he had to work with, put together a great game plan, and earned his paycheck this week!
RG0BS1U.gif

Possibly, but I doubt it. Too dramatic of a change which would reflect not in his DNA. Let's remember, he's a Leach protege, air raid complete with sideline screens, bubble screens, etc. Why no Sewo in WildFrog on short yardage plays but instead, Mule under center with QB sneak with RB giving a push aka Kansas State? I hope it was all Sonny which would bode well for us going forward.

netty2424

Possibly, but I doubt it. Too dramatic of a change which would reflect not in his DNA. Let's remember, he's a Leach protege, air raid complete with sideline screens, bubble screens, etc. Why no Sewo in WildFrog on short yardage plays but instead, Mule under center with QB sneak with RB giving a push aka Kansas State? I hope it was all Sonny which would bode well for us going forward.
We all know where he’s from. Doesn’t mean the guy doesn’t know and isn’t capable of mixing things up to create some advantages due to some specific circumstances.

He’s an offensive coordinator. He knows offenses. Including offenses outside of the air raid.

How about just giving the guy some credit.

mesohornedfrog

We all thought it was pretty clear how the game was being called from the stands. OSU has one of the worst defenses in the Big 12 and we had the best player on the field. Cumbie knew our offensive limitations due to injuries, so went with the highschool gameplan of figuring out about 20 different ways to get the best guy the ball. The plan ran Jalen in to the ground that night, but it worked, and now he gets a month to rest with hopefully a reinforcement or two back for the bowl game.

tcudoc

I have to agree, it wasn't the same offense. You could see Sonny in the pressbox calling down the plays but the real question to me was who tutored him during the week game planning? I cannot recall the TCU offensive line giving so many false keys on the running game and as a result, running lanes and even big holes opening up.

Offensively, something has happened in our game planning, and would look for Reagor to begin getting about 15 touches/game, not including kickoffs or punts. Against Baylor Reagor gets 6 touches for 127 yds. or 21 yds./touch. Against OSU, 13 touches for 213 yds. or 16 yds./touch.

So, it seems to me someone told Sonny, hey, get the ball to your no. 1 talent, repeatedly and take the pressure off your QB to win the game for you. I don't think it was Luper or Thomsen but someone who has offensive stature visited Sonny from the outside. Too big a change to come from the current staff in my opinion.
That all seems like something he could have figured out on his own...he's not dumb.

WIN

So if it was all Cumbie, yahoo! What took him so long? There is a dramatic change in the offensive philosophy, don't think that happens overnight by the same person unless GP was dictating the offensive strategy.

4th. down

That all seems like something he could have figured out on his own...he's not dumb.

Doc, no one that I know of has said Sonny is dumb, quite the contrary actually.

As far as in game experience from the QB position, Robinson, Collins, and Mule were all basically the same. Why was this not used with all of them (new offensive scheme)?

tcudoc

Doc, no one that I know of has said Sonny is dumb, quite the contrary actually.

As far as in game experience from the QB position, Robinson, Collins, and Mule were all basically the same. Why was this not used with all of them (new offensive scheme)?
The offense was thought to be quite multi-dimensional at the outset of the season with lots of weapons. Robinson as a dual threat QB with targets of Turpin, Reagor and others. The top two running backs showed flashes of brilliance. So, it made sense to use all of the weapons. As the season wore on, many initial theories did not pan out. The O Line limited the rushing attack. Too many fumbles and turnovers by too many of our star players. Off the field issues and injury took away far too many of the offensive weapons. Now, at the end of the season, a depleted team has one player left who can change the course of the game. He demonstrated that for the first time in Waco and single-handedly willed the team to victory. The very next game, Reagor, being one of the only healthy "stars" left on our offense, is given the keys to the offense, with favorable results. No team wishes to be one dimensional, but the last few games have forced Cumbie's hand and Reagor has responded with good (remarkable) results. I doubt anyone thinks he could carry the team alone for an entire season, but he has certainly salvaged this one to make it a respectable season. Defenses will certainly adjust to the one dimensional aspect of our team and will likely take Reagor out of the position to have the impact he has had the last two games. Someone else will either step up or they won't, but right now, it is the Reagor show.