• The KillerFrogs

Please hire Sonny Dykes

Sangria Wine

Have you watched the last 4 years? I think that's all that's relevant in the decision to move on from Patterson.
Yes I have and I’ve also watched ups and downs both at TCU and across the country over the last decade or so especially. I also know that familiarity breeds contempt.

I saw a TCU program that was close at times to being 9-10 wins and didn’t get it all put together and ended up way below hopes. I saw players and plays and moments that gave me optimism that it would come together again soon. The cycles of up and down seem to be hard to avoid unless you’re Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State. I don’t think programs are melted down and destroyed in 3-4 years when they are a legitimate brand and program. But rash choices to disassemble can lead to meltdowns and cycles that are hard to get out of because you’re dealing with big changes and attempts at rebuilding at the same time. I recognize that you’re not in agreement with me and that’s cool. I strolled over to the SMU board to read some of their thoughts and found it odd that some of their posters suggested trying to hire Patterson and we’re quickly told there’s no way GP would take a job like theirs. We fired him to hire their coach, but they see him as better than their program. Something about that seems odd to me.

Last edited:

ECM

This may have been posted but you do know that SMU hadn’t won more than 8 games since 1984 and Sonny has done it twice in the last three years and would have done it last year if not for COVID. You really want to go back to where things were before he got here? About 35 years of well below 0.500 football?
SMU wasn’t even trying from 1988-2008 with academic restrictions and what not. June Jones had a few decent years but wasn’t a fit culturally and then just bottomed out/quit on the job. Chad Morris was smoke and mirrors. Sonny mostly beat the teams he was supposed to beat but show me a big win on his resume….#17 Houston in 2018? That UH team finished 8-5 and got smoked 70-14 by Army in their bowl game. #25 Temple in 2019? That Temple team finished 8-5 and got smoked 55-13 by 7-6 UNC in their bowl game.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
SMU wasn’t even trying from 1988-2008 with academic restrictions and what not. June Jones had a few decent years but wasn’t a fit culturally and then just bottomed out/quit on the job. Chad Morris was smoke and mirrors. Sonny mostly beat the teams he was supposed to beat but show me a big win on his resume….#17 Houston in 2018? That UH team finished 8-5 and got smoked 70-14 by Army in their bowl game. #25 Temple in 2019? That Temple team finished 8-5 and got smoked 55-13 by 7-6 UNC in their bowl game.
But at least you still draw big crowds…

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I get that some people are not that into the Dykes hire. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but damn, it is done and over. Why are people still making the same arguments, over and over and over, about his record as though that is going to change the outcome of the coaching search? At some point, you're not making a rational argument over something that you can influence. It's like arguing about whether the sun comes up at the time of your liking.
Setting up their I Told You So post

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Too many distractions in Dallas - it’s not some hick town like Fort Worth!
Can’t be that distracting in the 3rd largest city in Texas. Especially when you only have an NBA team in Dallas while Fort Worth, the county seat of Tarrant has a (semi) major league team in the Rangers and mid level NFL Cowboy team…

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Can’t be that distracting in the 3rd largest city in Texas. Especially when you only have an NBA team in Dallas while Fort Worth, the county seat of Tarrant has a (semi) major league team in the Rangers and mid level NFL Cowboy team…
This didn’t work out as well as you hoped it might. Many things to trash Dallas over but this isn’t it.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I’m not sure I was expecting anything to work out, but I’m also not sure your take on it would be the determining factor had I.
You left out the Dallas Stars and the fact that the Cowboys are the DALLAS Cowboys. Other than that I guess Fort Worth can claim proximity to the Rangers? Dallas sucks in almost all ways. But they have scoreboard on the pro teams.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
You left out the Dallas Stars and the fact that the Cowboys are the DALLAS Cowboys. Other than that I guess Fort Worth can claim proximity to the Rangers? Dallas sucks in almost all ways. But they have scoreboard on the pro teams.
The name Dallas doesn’t put them in Dallas. They used to call the Angels The LA Angels though they were in Orange County, miles from LA.