• The KillerFrogs

Please hire Sonny Dykes

gofor2

To sum that up: his defenses are lousy and his wins are against the bottom feeders and middling teams.
I would add, the coaches immediately before and after his tenure at Cal have better defensive rankings and winning percentages than Dykes. So the excuse of "Its hard to win at Cal" isn't much of an argument to support Dykes record there.
Their current coach couldn’t beat this year’s TCU team.
We aren't talking about TCU, we are talking about Dykes and his mediocre coaching.

Dykes is 8-3 and tied for 4th place. His defense is around 85th in the country in PPG.
Out of those 8 wins, 1 is against a team (UCF) that has a winning percentage.
I don't see how that translates into success in a much tougher conference.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
We aren't talking about TCU, we are talking about Dykes and his mediocre coaching.

Dykes is 8-3 and tied for 4th place. His defense is around 85th in the country in PPG.
Out of those 8 wins, 1 is against a team (UCF) that has a winning percentage.
I don't see how that translates into success in a much tougher conference.
75 percent of your post that you copied above is about coaches performing at Cal.

I get that some people are not that into the Dykes hire. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but damn, it is done and over. Why are people still making the same arguments, over and over and over, about his record as though that is going to change the outcome of the coaching search? At some point, you're not making a rational argument over something that you can influence. It's like arguing about whether the sun comes up at the time of your liking.

Tshirt Fan

I get that some people are not that into the Dykes hire. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but damn, it is done and over. Why are people still making the same arguments, over and over and over, about his record as though that is going to change the outcome of the coaching search? At some point, you're not making a rational argument over something that you can influence. It's like arguing about whether the sun comes up at the time of your liking.

This discussion may continue on for a while.
If Sonny wins 10+ games and TCU bowls each year for the next 3 years, the mood will be good, and thankfully we dodged a bullet.
More likely is a stumble during the next 3 years and that's when the pitchforks and torches will come out.
In the mean time, every spring practice, media availability, player stars count, fake on-sides punt, short-side sweep, keeping Meach as OC, clock management, shoe-lace tying opportunity will be commented on.

We've got a lot to look forward to!

Last edited:

SuperTFrog

His teams fold like a lawn chair every year when the weather turns cool
This may have been posted but you do know that SMU hadn’t won more than 8 games since 1984 and Sonny has done it twice in the last three years and would have done it last year if not for COVID. You really want to go back to where things were before he got here? About 35 years of well below 0.500 football?

This discussion may continue on for a while.
If Sonny wins 10+ games and TCU bowls each year for the next 3 years, the mood will be good, and thankfully we dodged a bullet.
More likely is a stumble during the next 3 years and that's when the pitchforks and torches will come out.
In the mean time, every spring practice, media availability, player stars count, fake on-sides punt, short-side sweep, keeping Meach as OC, clock management, shoe-lace tying opportunity will be commented on.

We've got a lot to look forward to!
And how is this different than any other hire? They are all a risk. Even the best are second-guessed and complained about on message boards. Did you see Saban's rant today? Dykes is no different than any other coach. He'll win and we'll be happy or he won't and he will be fired. Time to recruit, get Spring practice in, actually have a Spring game and see where it is at. It's as simple as that at this point. If he fails, you can come back and say I told you so.

Tshirt Fan

And how is this different than any other hire? They are all a risk. Even the best are second-guessed and complained about on message boards. Did you see Saban's rant today? Dykes is no different than any other coach. He'll win and we'll be happy or he won't and he will be fired. Time to recruit, get Spring practice in, actually have a Spring game and see where it is at. It's as simple as that at this point. If he fails, you can come back and say I told you so.
So you're ok with Meach staying on as the OC?

Sangria Wine

Well in an
I just looked it up and Dykes has by far the best record of any SMU coach since 1984.

What does the career success of GP have to do with anything? He isn’t being evaluated.
Well he kinda is…if you’re firing somebody then presumably you’re saying you intend to hire somebody MUCH BETTER than the fired individual to take the role. Seems you should review the candidates with the same lenses used to review the person you’re firing.

CountryFrog

Well in an

Well he kinda is…if you’re firing somebody then presumably you’re saying you intend to hire somebody MUCH BETTER than the fired individual to take the role. Seems you should review the candidates with the same lenses used to review the person you’re firing.
Have you watched the last 4 years? I think that's all that's relevant in the decision to move on from Patterson.