• The KillerFrogs

Playoff Expansion seems inevitable, my money was not on 12 teams

NYC Horned Frog

Trying to figure out how you get 12 and keep the NY6 Bowls.

Do 2 get designated as semifinals on a rotating basis? Not sure the Rose Bowl would accept getting punted to January 8ish ever 3 years?

4 Play in Games. Better seeded team hosts?
- 5 v 12
- 6 v 11
- 7 v 10
- 8 v 9

4 Quarterfinals (Bowl Season played in 4 of 6 NY6 Bowls):
- 2 v 5/12
- 3 v 6/11
- 4 v 7/10
- 1 v 8/9

2 Semifinals (A week after NYE weekend, 2 of the NY6 get bumped a week to semis every year. Or Rose and Sugar insist on NYE/NY Day and the other 4 rotate back and forth)
- 2/5/12 winner v 3/6/11 winner
- 4/7/10 winner v 1/8/9 winner

Championship game bumped a week and now mid-January. This already bids out every year anyway. I guess the NFL schedule change bumped their season a week, making room for this from TV?

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...all-playoff-consider-expanding-12-team-format

You look very accurate. Rose Bowl will be pissed if they’re not a constant top spot.

ESPN has come out with more details. They made a mention that Notre Dame wouldn’t be eligible for a bye since they’re not in a conference. That would quiet a lot of the noise of other self inflated state State schools to go independent. scheiss BYU.

Different than before, they make a point to say that no conference is an automatic bid, but keeping only the top 4 conference champs according to rankings. Which is laughable, and appeases SEC I guess.

Looks like with Quarterfinals on New Years, the post season would be extended a week but still says there’s not a timeline yet. First play ins would be in the 2 weeks after conference championships. That’s a lot of football and I’m for it.

Wexahu

12 is too many IMO. Gonna be a lot of [ Finebaum ] playoff games.

This isn’t gonna be as great as everyone seems to think it will be.

Real Frog

If this happens we will be ranked 10’th beat Iowa State by 50 points and drop to 13’th to miss the playoffs.
Everything just moves to a different level. As long as the CFP committee is involved, it will be the Big 10/SEC show. Sankey is taking care of his. It states there is no limit to the number of teams from a conference, plus you have Notre Dame. How many 2 or possibly 3 loss teams from the SEC and Big 10 take spots in 6-12? Does a 2 loss Big 12 team, not named UT or OU even have a chance? You could still see realignment not for championships, but for more playoff spots.

Zubaz

As proposals go, this really isnt half bad. Glad they didn't go with the stupid P5 autobids, and the Top 4 getting byes keeps an emphasis on the regular season / CCGs.

Frozen Frog

I am a huge fan of 8. The P5 champions + the top G5 school with 2 wild card teams and no seeding. I would assign each conference a bowl game for their champion with the possibility of rotating some of the bowls. The Pac and Big Ten champions can play in the Rose Bowl. The Big 12 can play in the Cotton. The SEC chooses between the Sugar and the Peach. The ACC takes the Orange Bowl. The Fiesta and the Peach/Sugar receive the highest ranked teams not in the playoff. The semis and the championship are rotated amongst sites willing to bid.

Eight

As proposals go, this really isnt half bad. Glad they didn't go with the stupid P5 autobids, and the Top 4 getting byes keeps an emphasis on the regular season / CCGs.

so according to you, not winning a conference but ranking in the top 4 and therefore earning a bye keeps emphasis on the regular season?

Zubaz

so according to you, not winning a conference but ranking in the top 4 and therefore earning a bye keeps emphasis on the regular season?
According to the proposal I saw, you can not earn a bye without winning the conference. The byes are for "The Top 4 conference champions".

What I hate is the idea that the P5 conferences get autobids. Making it "The Top 6 conference champs" realistically achieves the same thing, but could at least theoretically avoid something like 2012 where unranked 7-6 Wisconsin won the Big 10.

Eight

According to the proposal I saw, you can not earn a bye without winning the conference. The byes are for "The Top 4 conference champions".

What I hate is the idea that the P5 conferences get autobids. Making it "The Top 6 conference champs" realistically achieves the same thing, but could at least theoretically avoid something like 2012 where unranked 7-6 Wisconsin won the Big 10.

when you try to right rules to deal with the exception instead of what is the norm things get screwed up and i would happily take a 7-6 conference champion getting in every 8-10 years instead of the beauty pageant bull [ Finebaum ] fake drama we get with a committee

Zubaz

when you try to right rules to deal with the exception instead of what is the norm things get screwed up and i would happily take a 7-6 conference champion getting in every 8-10 years instead of the beauty pageant bull [ #2020 ] fake drama we get with a committee
But again, because they said the Top 6, the P5 conference champs are still at a huge advantage. It's going to be exceptionally rare where TWO G5 teams are ranked ahead of a P5 champ, and that P5 champ can still get an at large bid anyway. At least this way you don't have something stupid like unranked UConn getting in while #9 Boise plays in Vegas. Seems like this helps TAKE AWAY the beauty pagaent stuff by reducing preferential treatment to P5.

Zubaz

you continue to point to exceptions instead and as long as the committee is involved with deciding who the top 4 are you will get the pageant bull [ #2020 ] every freaking week with espn cranking up the volume.
Ok, under this scenario who do you think would get left out in favor of someone being included? Go back to 2012 or even before that. Not seeing a ton of controversy compared to what we have now.

if a p5 team wins their conference that has to carry some weight
It does, that's what the auto bids do and we know for a fact that P5 champs get preference in rankings, whether it's computer or committee or some combo of the two. Going back to 2012 has there been a year where a P5 champ would not get an auto bid in favor of two G5 team? Even going back further, 2010 would probably be the biggest controversy, but frankly I would consider any system that put 11-1 Kellen Moores Boise team in at #10 over #13 ACC champ Virginia Tech *that Boise beat* a feature, not a bug.

(And that assumes the rankings would have shaken out th same way if they stick with a pure committee, which they might well not have and VTech might have snagged the auto bid anyway).

Edit: 2009 would have had (again, theoretically) undefeated Cinci, Boise, and TCU over #9 Georgia Tech, who would have gotten at at large spot. 2008 would have had TCU and Boise both over Cinci and Virginia Tech. Again not seeing the issue here.

Last edited:

ECM

I never thought 12 was even in the ballpark but will make for a lot more meaningful games in November which I think is great for the sport (and TV ratings)

Endless Purple

I have never understood the reasoning for arbitrary byes in a playoff system. This is especially true for a single elimination football format where injuries can play a large roll. It cost nothing extra to have the 4 teams that would get a bye have to play the same number of games as the other 8. Might even make a little money on it.

Only time I could see a 12 team system make sense was if there were 12 conferences and only each champion was in. I prefer 8. The 6 highest ranked conferences champions (no autobids for any conference) plus 2 at large from the next two highest ranked teams. Max of 2 teams per conference.

ECM

I have never understood the reasoning for arbitrary byes in a playoff system. This is especially true for a single elimination football format where injuries can play a large roll. It cost nothing extra to have the 4 teams that would get a bye have to play the same number of games as the other 8. Might even make a little money on it.

NFL has been doing it for years. And sometimes those teams who get a bye come out stale and get shocked.

ECM

"Just because the NFL does it" Does not make it a good reason to do it.
OK, but massively increased fan interest and TV ratings does. Every team in/on the cusp of the Top 25 on November 1 will have a shot at the CFP. Only real losers I see here are the non-CFP bowls and Notre Dame/BYU. I wont lose sleep over that

Frog-in-law1995

Only time I could see a 12 team system make sense was if there were 12 conferences and only each champion was in. I prefer 8. The 6 highest ranked conferences champions (no autobids for any conference) plus 2 at large from the next two highest ranked teams. Max of 2 teams per conference.

They’re not arbitrary.