• The KillerFrogs

Players DO NOT want Sonny Dykes !! They are insisting on Deion.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
If you let player select your coach, you are basically letting the inmates run the assylum. Being the head of a D1 football program requires much more than sucking up to 19 year olds who want a big name sports hero rather than someone who can establish a real program, build a staff and work with the university and allumni to raise funds.

This isn't the NBA where one or two star players make all the decisions on who gets hired or fired.

HFrog1999

If you let player select your coach, you are basically letting the inmates run the assylum.

tenor.gif

That’s a very over used analogy. These are student athletes who pick who they play for and can easily transfer if they don’t like the coach.

We need a coach who elite players want to play for

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
tenor.gif

That’s a very over used analogy. These are student athletes who pick who they play for and can easily transfer if they don’t like the coach.

All over the country elite players are playing for coaches hired by the adults not the kids who stay 3-4 years at best

HFrog1999

All over the country elite players are playing for coaches hired by the adults not the kids who stay 3-4 years at best

Yeah, and the Adults hire coaches who attract talent

I’m not saying “Hire Deion”. I’m just saying that College Football isn’t an “Asylum” and players aren’t “Inmates”. It’s a terrible analogy.

The players choose to be here and we want a coach who attracts the players we want

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Yeah, and the Adults hire coaches who attract talent

I’m not saying “Hire Deion”. I’m just saying that College Football isn’t an “Asylum” and players aren’t “Inmates”. It’s a terrible analogy.

The players choose to be here and we want a coach who attracts the players we want
Fair enough but when you post that in this particular thread it’s easy to draw the wrong conclusion

SMOKEY IV

Best way to lose 35-40 players to transfer portal is to hire Sonny Dukes.

Evans and Johnston have made it clear they are walking out if Deion isn’t hired. Miller QBrown Banks and others will go with them.

TCU becomes KANSAS for next decade if Sonny is hired.

Different times require different thinking. Players are now in charge of college football. Ignore that NEW DYNAMIC and all your good players will walk out.
Dear Players,
1. This is not Burger King.
2. You’re a little light in the win column the past few years to make demands.

SwissArmyFrog

Screenshot (40).png

Best way to lose 35-40 players to transfer portal is to hire Sonny Dukes.

Evans and Johnston have made it clear they are walking out if Deion isn’t hired. Miller QBrown Banks and others will go with them.

TCU becomes KANSAS for next decade if Sonny is hired.

Different times require different thinking. Players are now in charge of college football. Ignore that NEW DYNAMIC and all your good players will walk out.

BleedNPurple

Players are here for 4 years if they’re good. They don’t run the ship. That may work in the NBA but that’s not NCAA football. I believe there is a coach out there we’re talking to who none of these “Clue Game” threads have thought about. I think most of these New Coach threads are tremendously shallow. Prime Time is a nice guy, Sonny is a good coach. We have a unique and special situation here. Search firms are great in helping in this regards. I’m sure there’s 20 other candidates nobody has mentioned that are being interviewed. I have some names in my mind I won’t disclose yet but thinking bigger more successful than any name that’s been dropped in these threads. Sorry to be so vague but I see a great opportunity.

y2kFrog

I'm just saying, the idea that you have of Kansas might be outdated, and the view that you have of TCU very well could be as well. These things shift quickly with new coaches in play, it seems KU got a good one. TCU? Well we are still waiting....
They beat a ding dong Texas team for their first Big 12 road win in over 10 years. Let’s tap the brakes a little.

Froginbedford

tenor.gif

Will those who don't leave through the black hole of transfer dog it on the field to punish the university with continuous 2-10, 3-9, and 4-8 seaons?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I guess many of you weren't around when the players basically chose Patterson because they wanted to play for him, and for some 15 years or so it showed. Don't be quick to disregard player input.

Well hell, twenty years ago women were more than willing to jump in the sack with me.

These days, not so much. Not at all, to be truthful.

Moose Stuff

I guess many of you weren't around when the players basically chose Patterson because they wanted to play for him, and for some 15 years or so it showed. Don't be quick to disregard player input.
We hired him somewhat because of that…. and mostly because plan B was Watson Brown. Nobody worth a [ Finebaum ] wanted that job. Not even close to what’s happening now.

Player input was one of several data points back then because they had actually been coached by GP. These guys might think Deion as a coach is a great idea, but can't provide any real testimony as to his abilities, so it's irrelevant.

And as Moose pointed out (as I did in other threads), the only other real competition was Watson Brown.

As a side note, my biggest criticism of GP will always be that he didn't develop his assistants to the level that there was an obvious successor right here on staff.