• The KillerFrogs

PJ Fuller Role

Skip Jansen

thanks, appreciate the answer

do have a question in general as it seems it is tough to find kids who can shoot the ball with any consistency

watching kentucky - kansas last night and the wildcats have this great collection of long athletes who caused kansas all kinds of problems on the defensive end and were a complete disaster on the offensive end

realize they turned over basically the entire roster, but shooting the basketball is a basic skill and if you can do that well you are gong to draw attention, but i continually watch games where you might have 1-2 kids aside who can shoot the ball with any effectiveness

The game has changed a lot. It used to be that if you couldn't score the basketball, you just didn't play. Basketball wasn't the sport for you.

I could write a novel about the inception of the 3 Point Line and how it forced coaches to recruit certain type players to defend the perimeter to combat the 3 point shot. And, how that brought in a different type of athlete that hadn't been in the game prior to.

I won't bore you with things like, "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" and how the reaction to the 3 point shot was greater than the initial action. And therefore you see what you see today. Extended defenses and ball screen to the death offenses.

What I will tell you is, the skill set of shooting is still coveted but not like it was once was.

Sorry about the roundabout way of getting to the answer.

Eight

The game has changed a lot. It used to be that if you couldn't score the basketball, you just didn't play. Basketball wasn't the sport for you.

I could write a novel about the inception of the 3 Point Line and how it forced coaches to recruit certain type players to defend the perimeter to combat the 3 point shot. And, how that brought in a different type of athlete that hadn't been in the game prior to.

I won't bore you with things like, "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" and how the reaction to the 3 point shot was greater than the initial action. And therefore you see what you see today. Extended defenses and ball screen to the death offenses.

What I will tell you is, the skill set of shooting is still coveted but not like it was once was.

thanks for the answer.

the one thing though is if i am not exceptionally gifted the one way to get a shot in the nba and stick is being a catch and shoot guy

bane is a great example and if i am pj fuller i am shooting 100;s of jumpers a day because i won't get bigger and i can't just over the top of everyone in that league, but if i can consistently hit a 22-24 foot jumper i can make a decent living

Skip Jansen

thanks for the answer.

the one thing though is if i am not exceptionally gifted the one way to get a shot in the nba and stick is being a catch and shoot guy

bane is a great example and if i am pj fuller i am shooting 100;s of jumpers a day because i won't get bigger and i can't just over the top of everyone in that league, but if i can consistently hit a 22-24 foot jumper i can make a decent living

The NBA is a little different. Everybody can score at that level.

As far as Bane goes, he wouldn't have been drafted (at least not 1st Rd) if he had been strictly a "catch and shoot" guy.

He started getting on draft boards when he began putting the ball on the deck, negotiating ball screen action, and attacking close-outs.

But I agree with your point.

Last edited:

Rose Bowl

Samuel is a good player but he’s not a great athlete. He isn’t a rim runner and he is sometimes lazy when he isn’t involved in the offense.

We could get some easy baskets if we looked to move the ball quicker up the court. It doesn’t have to be true transition just early offense. He’d rather win 60-58 than score 75.

wilson912

What happened to him? He played a bunch last year and I fully expected him to be a major player for us this year. Anybody know why he is only getting a handful of minutes a game? Are the new guys just better than him by that big of a margin?

PJ is a good dude but his shooting has not improved from last year. Both Miles and Todd, heck even RJ, are better shooters. In my opinion, that is what is keeping him off the court. He hustles and is good slashing his way to the rim-he’s just gotta keep working. As I’ve said before, i hope he stays and takes the RJ path (hard work and perseverance) rather than the Kaden Archie path. I have no doubt PJ can help this team, we need him.

froginmn

Skip Jansen is my new favorite poster on this board

Thanks for all of the insight!

netty2424

Samuel is a good player but he’s not a great athlete. He isn’t a rim runner and he is sometimes lazy when he isn’t involved in the offense.

We could get some easy baskets if we looked to move the ball quicker up the court. It doesn’t have to be true transition just early offense. He’d rather win 60-58 than score 75.
I would say there isn’t a more team player here than KS. He gets passed up inside so much, it surprises me that he keeps his head in the game. And rarely, if ever do you see him get frustrated when he’s got a clear look and they rotate the ball away from him.

Frustrating to watch sometimes. Can’t imagine how frustrating that is to him.

FrogAbroad

For Skip Jansen --

Basketball isn't a game I really enjoy all that much. I'll watch TCU basketball (men and women) if a game is televised, but it's because of "TCU" not "basketball." However...

I enjoy and read your posts. They are cogent, on-topic, free from fan hyperbole...they just answer a question and intelligently explain your answer. It's obvious you know your subject, and you communicate it well. I admire that kind of response, especially on a fan forum where there are so many loud <coff coff> "experts." You are an asset to the forum, a poster I genuinely respect.

Hang in there, amigo!

Wexahu

For Skip Jansen --

Basketball isn't a game I really enjoy all that much. I'll watch TCU basketball (men and women) if a game is televised, but it's because of "TCU" not "basketball." However...

I enjoy and read your posts. They are cogent, on-topic, free from fan hyperbole...they just answer a question and intelligently explain your answer. It's obvious you know your subject, and you communicate it well. I admire that kind of response, especially on a fan forum where there are so many loud <coff coff> "experts." You are an asset to the forum, a poster I genuinely respect.

Hang in there, amigo!

I agree, Skip is a great poster, much more civil than me and a lot of others on here, and obviously knows the game of basketball.

Eight

For Skip Jansen --

Hang in there, amigo!

t8r9y.jpg

Skip Jansen

For Skip Jansen --

Hang in there, amigo!

Thank you Frogabroad.

That's really kind of you and I appreciate it very much.

SuperBarrFrog

I haven’t been able to watch most of the first 3 games but I’m just glad to see we are winning and that the players seems pumped about it. I’ll wait until we play a couple big 12 games to pass any judgement. I’m hoping PJ can move past fit and make a nice splash this year. I love a guy that can slash to the basket and make things happen in transitions. Hopefully JD can make that work with the team even if it is just a as an awesome splash scorer and athlete off the bench. Guys like that are often fan favorites on tons of hoops teams in college and the pros. I don’t know too much about hoops strategy or coaching but I do like to be entertained so I’m these frogs can at do that.