• The KillerFrogs

PGA Tour agrees to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf

ShreveFrog

@FrogBall09 - You seem more knowledgeable than the average fan like me. But I thought this year’s field was quite good and the course chewed them up. I sure hope Schwab continues.

Woods turned down $700-$800mm for just a few of tournaments a year. Then he turned down $1B.

I still think they get paid. PIF has the $$$.
They do, but this will all be at the expense of tournaments like Colonial. It was bad enough when they created the “elevated” events. This will widen the gap and spread the talent too wide.

82 Frog Fever

Who freaking cares? It's a game where fags in dainty shirts and hats prance around among the flowers hitting a little white ball. Nobody freaking cares about this Woke crap.
Seems ironic that out of all the professional sports leagues the Saudis chose to buy the gay one. Probably the first time they’ve ever been accused of being woke.

NSFW: Language

I always hated that 9/11 angle that Monahan, Chamblee and Eamon Lynch pushed. Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden did nothing to hold the Saudis accountable. To lay this at the feet of professional golf was moronic when the most powerful people in the world seemed unable or unwilling to do anything.

That being said, I hate that the world of professional golf is now beholden to a political entity, regardless of whether it’s the Saudis, or not.

Eight

I always hated that 9/11 angle that Monahan, Chamblee and Eamon Lynch pushed. Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden did nothing to hold the Saudis accountable. To lay this at the feet of professional golf was moronic when the most powerful people in the world seemed unable or unwilling to do anything.

That being said, I hate that the world of professional golf is now beholden to a political entity, regardless of whether it’s the Saudis, or not.

curious if the uk reporters who were all over the players who joined the liv have shown the same type of vigor going after the heads of the epl when newcastle was purchased by its new owners a few years back

masterfrog

I think Monahan already announced his resignation. As I recall from watching the PGA tournament in Minnesota last year, he went on tv and said that as long as he was commissioner, no player that took LIV money would ever play on the PGA Tour again.

FrogBall09

@FrogBall09 - You seem more knowledgeable than the average fan like me. But I thought this year’s field was quite good and the course chewed them up. I sure hope Schwab continues.
The field was pretty bad even by the recent standards since the PGA champ moved to the week before us

The actual tournament was exciting - which probably proves “star power” on PGAT is overrated

But the course winning the battle was largely due to 1) we killed all the Bermuda around the greens to prep for the restoration to start and had winter rye planted that was beginning to die from heat and 2) we stopped watering the greens because we didn’t care if they died the next day - so that made the course hard and fast

Furyk told me one time the worst thing that ever happened to Colonial is someone decided it needed to be green for TV - that when the fairways were brown on the edges and the greens were a little purple, it was as hard as any course on tour not the named US Open

Not sure what we will get next year beyond some bouncy ass greens - but I bet it won’t be brown unless Gil screws up the sprinklers

Assuming we have a course to play a tourney on next year

I think Schwab will continue (not my area though so no inside info beyond member chatter) but not at the level we need to keep up with the Jones’s on tour once their current deal is up

ShreveFrog

@FrogBall09 - That is a formidable challenge to redo the course in time for a tournament next May.

Again, I thought the field was very good. I watched Scheffler, Spieth, Burns, Morikawa, Finau, Rose, Fowler, Hovland, Horschel, Fleetwood, Homa, Im, Suh and of course Hoge among the rest. I saw hard bounces on greens and balls disappear in the rough.

Colonial is my favorite place to watch a tournament (though maybe that's my soft spot for Fort Worth and nearby TCU). Been to Nelson when it was at Four Seasons, Redstone for the Shell/Houston, and TPC Louisiana near New Orleans for the Zurich.