• The KillerFrogs

Patterson says Sark 'fires me up'

OICU812

Didn’t say Patterson was owed $40M. Just said we owe him credit for making possible the $40M per year TCU is enjoying (for the time being)
This is where this line of thinking falls completely apart. It’s based on the absolute certainty that nobody other than Gary could have succeeded at TCU. That presumption ignores the likes of Urban, Peterson, Lincoln, and a buttload of other dudes who had success equal to or greater than Gary during the same time frame.

Dogfrog

This is where this line of thinking falls completely apart. It’s based on the absolute certainty that nobody other than Gary could have succeeded at TCU. That presumption ignores the likes of Urban, Peterson, Lincoln, and a buttload of other dudes who had success equal to or greater than Gary during the same time frame.
Didn’t argue nobody could succeed but Gary. The reality is nobody else did over the course of 56 years - not to the level he succeeded- with the added attraction of moving us back up to the top level. If you refuse to acknowledge that you are delusional. And let me repeat - it was time for Gary to go.

Wexahu

I disagree. I like him. I think people have the delusional expectation that after we fired him he’d just retire and show up around Fort Worth in a purple blazer being a TCU good will ambassador until he dies. Truth is we owe him much more than he owes us. And to be clear, it was absolutely time for him to go.
Honestly, I've never met him. Know many people that have and there are mixed opinions.

From my observation he appeared to be a pretty major egomaniac, thin-skinned, and petty. And I realize he's not the only football coach with those traits, he just seemed to have them in spades. I am aware of some really nice things he's done for people behind the scenes, so there's that too. But if he had been the same guy and coached at UT, A&M, or Baylor? Oh boy.

Pharm Frog

Honestly, I've never met him. Know many people that have and there are mixed opinions.

From my observation he appeared to be a pretty major egomaniac, thin-skinned, and petty. And I realize he's not the only football coach with those traits, he just seemed to have them in spades. I am aware of some really nice things he's done for people behind the scenes, so there's that too. But if he had been the same guy and coached at UT, A&M, or Baylor? Oh boy.
Baylor? You think Baylor would have had an issue with him? Baylor?

Dtx_Frog_Fan

I disagree. I like him. I think people have the delusional expectation that after we fired him he’d just retire and show up around Fort Worth in a purple blazer being a TCU good will ambassador until he dies. Truth is we owe him much more than he owes us. And to be clear, it was absolutely time for him to go.
This post hits the nail on the head. When it’s time to part ways. How can anyone fault someone for doing the best they can do for themselves?

asleep003

Totally agree !

Pharm Frog

Not what I meant. Had he been coaching at one of those schools, we’d have probably thought he was major a-hole.
Oh…I thought he was a major a-hole here. I really don’t have an issue with that…you better win though. Lots of a-holes in those type of roles. My biggest issue with him was the deflection and paranoia and incomprehensible ramblings and the rigidity in approach and personnel. When you are winning you don’t have to deflect so there’s that.

Virginia Frog

He owes us because we hired him? We also hired Fred Taylor, Billy Tohill, FA Dry, Wacker, Sullivan, and Franchione (who won and immediately left). We don’t own Patterson. He can work wherever he wants.
Yea, he DOES owe TCU somewhat. How 'bout a little respect. Effectively spitting in TCU Nation's face was a bad strategy if he wanted to maintain the positive vibe (and the fans empathy about his being shown the door and the way it was handled,)

Going to UT, of all places (could have gone just about ANYWHERE else), shows that his ego needs (being wanted, being "in") exceeded his need for long-term good will with TCU folk. CGP just couldn't "take it" psychologically to be dangling sans job and be on the sideline for a year or two before his next coaching offer. (If UT had offered him real money, not the pittance he's getting, maybe I could see his rationale for the UT job.)

Yes, GP's free to make a judgement about his employment. Okay it's his choice but IMO his move was a whopper stupid PR effort for HIM long-term.

If TCU football goes into the toilet and cannot regain B12 competitiveness - numerous 10/11 win seasons/big time bowls or playoffs - then maybe there will be an appetite for GP being hailed in eight-ten years or so. Otherwise, it's oblivion (and in 2040 at 80 years of age there will be a "GP Day" celebrating 40 years from his first season.) - Nostradamus Frog

Last edited:

BleedNPurple

Only part of the article that opens for me? Gary moving on doesn’t upset me. He was great for TCU. I’m excited about where we’re headed for the first time since 2017! I think we’re going to be better for it. Turn out the lights and turn on the new lights- the party is just starting again! Go fFrogs!

Attachments

• 1A4CDC14-2794-4FE6-8218-1023082E810E.jpeg
    1A4CDC14-2794-4FE6-8218-1023082E810E.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 15

asleep003

Oh…I thought he was a major a-hole here. I really don’t have an issue with that…you better win though. Lots of a-holes in those type of roles. My biggest issue with him was the deflection and paranoia and incomprehensible ramblings and the rigidity in approach and personnel. When you are winning you don’t have to deflect so there’s that.
personnel for me .... 1/3 were useless and never run off.

Eight

I actually feel all better now. Cast your minds back a bit: What usually happened following an "I'm really excited about this year!" quote from Patterson? Crushing disappointment, that's what.

Heh...

this is a fluff piece being done by a horn beat writer in a media market that in all honesty is remarkably kind to texas athletics as well as gary has known this writer for quite some time

as i referenced above what does any of this matter in the grand scheme of the upcoming season

lowfrog

this is a fluff piece being done by a horn beat writer in a media market that in all honesty is remarkably kind to texas athletics as well as gary has known this writer for quite some time

as i referenced above what does any of this matter in the grand scheme of the upcoming season
Agreed. More interested in what's going to happen in the upcoming season. Will Sark Me Up turn into Fark Sark?