1. The KillerFrogs

Pandemic School Thread

Discussion in 'The Pit' started by PhillyFrog, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Basically a sub-thread of the Covid thread.

I thought this was a good read:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...t-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

School openings across globe suggest ways to keep coronavirus at bay, despite outbreaks

By Jennifer Couzin-Frankel, Gretchen Vogel, Meagan WeilandJul. 7, 2020 , 4:00 PM

Science's COVID-19 reporting is supported by the Pulitzer Center.

Early this spring, school gates around the world slammed shut. By early April, an astonishing 1.5 billion young people were staying home as part of broader shutdowns to protect people from the novel coronavirus. The drastic measures worked in many places, dramatically slowing the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

However, as weeks turned into months, pediatricians and educators began to voice concern that school closures were doing more harm than good, especially as evidence mounted that children rarely develop severe symptoms from COVID-19. (An inflammatory condition first recognized in April, which seems to follow infection in some children, appears uncommon and generally treatable, although scientists continue to study the virus’ effect on youngsters.)

Continued closures risk “scarring the life chances of a generation of young people,” according to an open letter published this month and signed by more than 1500 members of the United Kingdom’s Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH). Virtual education is often a pale shadow of the real thing and left many parents juggling jobs and childcare. Lower-income children who depend on school meals were going hungry. And there were hints that children were suffering increased abuse, now that school staff could no longer spot and report early signs of it. It was time, a growing chorus said, to bring children back to school.

By early June, more than 20 countries had done just that. (Some others, including Taiwan, Nicaragua, and Sweden, never closed their schools.) It was a vast, uncontrolled experiment.

2. desks 6' apart where / when possible?

stopped reading right there because anyone who has ever set foot in a school building knows that isn't possible for most public schools and it simply is there as cya.

we have to stop living in fear

i am curious if any tea official has been in the hall way of any high school or junior high during class changes

3. I'm really, really glad we have another thread about COVID or protests. We did not have enough. At least it started in the right place.

netty2424, Salfrog and Eight like this.
  4. Yeah, there are things in there I disagree with. If a kid has a headache, the's he's suspected COVID and has to leave school to see a doctor or get two negative COVID tests. Same for muscle pain. Same for a cough. Same for a sore throat. Same for diarrhea.

What could possibly go wrong. Johnny doesn't want to take a math test? BOOM headache. No math test. Mom has to leave work to pick up Johnny and then go get two COVID tests or pay for a doctor visit?

Showtime Joe 2.0 and Salfrog like this.
  5. Not arguing with you.

Like pretty much any other area of life these days, the adaptive responses will run the gamut of things with which we'll either agree or disagree. At least the TEA is making an attempt at planning.

In the other Science article I actually liked the ideas about having pods and also having the teachers rotate through the classrooms instead of vice-versa.

And I think it is clear that districts in the hot spots are going to be worse off than the ones where the background rates are low.

6. wife took time away from the hospital to work as a school nurse while kids were in school and you couldn't pay her enough to be a school nurse under these conditions

consider that for a high school of ~3,000 you may have two rn's and an aide and the clinic space is less than 1,000 sq feet.

now, on top of all the other daily crap such as confirming shot records, tracking your diabetic kids, tracking your pregnant students, dealing with students with profound health issues, performing drug screens, daily [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] not mentioned, guess who gets to hold the kids currently who are too sick for class and waiting for a parent / guardian to come get them.

they might have a small area, maybe a few to isolate, but to handle all this... .oh scheiss no.......

Salfrog, Wexahu and Bob Sugar like this.
  7. the problem is the tea does what it does really well, it comes up with a series of guidelines for the schools to apply to cover their asses and no real means to actually achieve these guidelines

require masks and drop the ridiculous 6 foot rule and work from there

8. You can't get there from here.

Old saying, probably applies. I have no good answer, it's degrees of crappy.

9. One thing that would be smart is if schools across the country could get their hands on more resources in order to staff up and get the materials needed to effect the guidelines.

Hmmm.......

10. you mean like an unlimited check book?

seriously, based upon what i saw was the budget for the high school my wife worked at and the needs they faced this is freaking ridiculous and i am not sure where they are supposed to carry out the confidential screening.

seriously, in the clinic my wife worked in they had a row of plastic chairs in which kids sat next to each other. there was no room to be 6 feet apart, one truly private room, etc..........

as with much of this problem these ideas are coming from people who don't have to actually do what they are suggesting people to do

11. I would say the TEA has subject-matter expertise.

I'll respond a little later to the thing about 'living in fear' thing, but in the meantime I'd direct your attention to Mike Pence:

12. based upon the people i know in public education they would tell you tea is the subject matter expert on having no real clue in what actually happens in a school on a day to day basis

ftwfrog likes this.
  13. I would expect that kind of cohort in any kind of organization. Privates complain about sergeants, sergeants about lieutenants, all the way up the line.

14. This kind of thing isn't going to be helpful:

15. huh...who knew you were appointed a general instead of actually being promoted up the ranks

16. why?

i have twice been involved in sales take overs where the entire office was let go so that the new sales force wouldn't cling to the ways we have always done things

it has been ironic watching teachers i know who struggled adjusting using technology and teaching from distance and yet are resistant to go back to the classroom

think darwin had that thought about being to adapt to your environment

17. I understand there is a legitimate theoretical argument for the proposition that we should take the Passover approach to the pandemic, and allow it to wash through us while we cope as best we can, and then pray for the dead.

But that is a theoretical exercise which would never happen in reality, as it does not take into account human behavioural psychology; fear is a rational response to external threat.

There are two Spock archetypes: Mr. Spock and Dr. Spock.

Mr. Spock would take seriously the idea that logic dictates we should not live in fear.

Dr. Spock would advise us to protect our children, and that the core of good parenting is attending carefully to what each child requires at each stage of development. Safety is the core.

I think you have to accept that parents, and especially mothers, across this country are having an awful lot of anxiety over these school safety issues, and that it is an irrational expectation to wish them otherwise. Asking them to stop living in fear is not a message to which they will pay any serious attention.

And you can see that in the polling.

We're not going to get anywhere on this without accepting that baseline reality.

18. we are living in an ongoing social experiment in which fear is being used to control and manipulate.

the 6' rule from tea is ridiculous and has nothing to do with any of that spock crap you typed. the 6' rule is not applicable in a functioning school or class room plain and simple, but what is the tragedy is we have let fear dictate our decisions

if someone doesn't want their kids in school so be it. they have that choice, heck home school the little buggers, but by shutting down schools not only have we given into fear but also started to tear down at basic social structures we need to get through this and guess what, other problems that are going to come down the road because when we stop having problems is the day we start looking for the end.

Salfrog likes this.