• The KillerFrogs

Overall Game Plan

Frozen Frog

I think the biggest issue right now is that all three phases are out of sync. The offense and the defense seem to want to play a game different speeds. The offense wants play fast, but it is being slowed down. The defense wants a slower game plan, but the play dictates it must play up tempo. Unfortunately it is hard to rely on special teams.

I think offense needs to move to a different set up and play a little slower so we can control the clock. My thought is to move to a different formation. My thought is to move to the I or Pro Set formation with the QB is taking snaps under center. The idea is now you can get both Anderson and Sewo in the game at the same time. Have Sewo run FB and TE. From there you can run a few different combinations of receivers. This would allow the RBs to hit the hole with more speed and power. It also gives them lead. The FB dive becomes a huge weapon which few Big 12 teams seem to have an answer. There is also the ability to run some option and sweeps. That could eventually open naked bootleg. As with the receivers they are going to run more timing routes. I think we do pretty well with those routes.

I know this isn't how football is played in Texas, but the slower game tends to negate the up tempo offenses. By playing slow Army was able to negate parts of the OU offense and wear down the defense. Where am I wrong?

4th. down

I think the biggest issue right now is that all three phases are out of sync. The offense and the defense seem to want to play a game different speeds. The offense wants play fast, but it is being slowed down. The defense wants a slower game plan, but the play dictates it must play up tempo. Unfortunately it is hard to rely on special teams.

I think offense needs to move to a different set up and play a little slower so we can control the clock. My thought is to move to a different formation. My thought is to move to the I or Pro Set formation with the QB is taking snaps under center. The idea is now you can get both Anderson and Sewo in the game at the same time. Have Sewo run FB and TE. From there you can run a few different combinations of receivers. This would allow the RBs to hit the hole with more speed and power. It also gives them lead. The FB dive becomes a huge weapon which few Big 12 teams seem to have an answer. There is also the ability to run some option and sweeps. That could eventually open naked bootleg. As with the receivers they are going to run more timing routes. I think we do pretty well with those routes.

I know this isn't how football is played in Texas, but the slower game tends to negate the up tempo offenses. By playing slow Army was able to negate parts of the OU offense and wear down the defense. Where am I wrong?

I watched the OU/Army game and Army could have won it but 2 tipped passes were intercepted. One of the problems the defense has with this type of scheme is that they don't practice it because they don't play anyone that uses it. The Army QB was so low under center and quick that the OU linebackers couldn't see him good and he was off and running one way or the other or rolling out or handing back to a RB on a counter. Monken is a very good coach and the OU staff said that no other team has ever left their locker room that clean after a game - Army, and they lost.

dawg

I think our biggest issue is our inability to block and tackle. Not really trying to be funny - we are failing at the basics. 0

This. It is so cliche but so true: American football is won at the line of scrimmage, and our offensive line is getting beaten more often than they are winning. Same with tackling. Hopefully this is a "grow 'em up year" like 2013 and 2016, with the fruit arriving next year.

WhatTheFrog

I think this is a rebuilding year. I know a lot of folks don't want to hear that, but our O Line last year was almost all seniors and that's just the way college football goes. Seniors graduate/lose eligibility. Poop happens. You gotta grow the next crop into being the next "Big Nasties" group. It doesn't happen overnight, and you don't play an underclassman in front of a proven beast at the position. We are going to have rollercoaster years, but they won't look like the A&M rollercoasters (which happen like EVERY year).

We don't get recruits like Bama, or pOSU, or Clemson. We don't pay our players. What we DO do, though, is coach our players up and prepare them for excellence. Regardless of what many of you think, our players get coached up and play above their capabilities (on the defensive side, at least). We have the talent to get things done on the offensive side of the ball, so long as they watch the ball into their hands and tuck that pigskin up like they are coached to do.

Don't mistake coaching of securing the ball the way they are supposed to do with what actually happens.I GUARANTEE that the players are coached to secure the ball. If not, I would be one of the first to demand the replacement of any coach that doesn't coach that. That's a basic thing. HANG ON TO THE BALL!

There may be some coaches that need to be replaced on both sides of the line, but I'm not calling them out. I just want our team to execute the way that they are capable of, and I want EVERY SINGLE PLAYER to buy into the system that is being taught/coached to them. No excuses, do what you're coached and buy in 100%.

I don't think our players are 100% bought into the system. That seems to be when we under-perform given our talent.

That is all.

Horny4TCU

Agree with froginmn. I'm if GP sees another arm tackle he's going to blow a gasket... But for some reason we are seeing them in every game.

We need the OL to learn to run block and the defense to learn how to wrap up.

4th. down

No we run up the middle out of shotgun and take a 3 step drop and throw deep from under center thats us

We need a lot of things to change/happen but one would be more creative running plays like Anderson on the TD. Totally surprised KSt.

Question; what if GP went to Donati and said i want to go out and get an offensive line coach, defensive line coach, and pay them $!mil. each per year. I think Donati would say ok. It all starts in the trenches and while GP's at it, a corner coach that stresses that the corners play the ball and go for an interception.

Eight

We need a lot of things to change/happen but one would be more creative running plays like Anderson on the TD. Totally surprised KSt.

Question; what if GP went to Donati and said i want to go out and get an offensive line coach, defensive line coach, and pay them $!mil. each per year. I think Donati would say ok. It all starts in the trenches and while GP's at it, a corner coach that stresses that the corners play the ball and go for an interception.

why would you replace the defensive line coach? the group played their best game of the year.

additionally, the corner coach is teaching the technique stressed by gary. don't think for one moment that any position coach on the tcu defense is teaching anything that isn't how gary wants it.

in regards to the offensive line coach, when you miss for 3 classes in a row on the interior offensive line you get what the frogs have right now.

Eight

Agree with froginmn. I'm if GP sees another arm tackle he's going to blow a gasket... But for some reason we are seeing them in every game.

We need the OL to learn to run block and the defense to learn how to wrap up.

i don't know if they have changed how they practice for safety reasons or if with all the staff changes they don't teach the same way, but what used to be one of the best tackling defenses in the big 12 has been for multiple years is group that grabs, lounges, and gropes

4th. down

i don't know if they have changed how they practice for safety reasons or if with all the staff changes they don't teach the same way, but what used to be one of the best tackling defenses in the big 12 has been for multiple years is group that grabs, lounges, and gropes

OK 8, the move in the back with Chad going to LB coach, Modkins to Corner, and Gonzales to Safety, how does that look to you? Has that performance been up to even last year before the change?

Regarding new assistant position coaches, I am, as others, are fully aware of GP's ego and he won't accept a position coach telling him how to play the position -therein lies the problem. With the present setup, we are not going to the playoffs, and those that think we will are just kidding ourselves. He seems to be ok as to offensive changes but not his defense, so maybe we should flip the switch and go for a good receiver coach and scheming/play analyst. He might go for that with a little nudge. We CANNOT compete with the traditional national powers with the present staff.

Eight

i think actually the corner back play has been good this year though i wish would we see more of daniels

safety has shown progress in the younger players, i think ridwan has played well the past few weeks, but he does have some physical limitations. overall happy with what we have seen from modkins and gonzalez in developing the young kids.

the one area i feel hasn't shown the progress is linebacker and i know some will automatically point to ty being out but there have been issues at linebacker gary has talked about from the begiing that pop up

johnson is the most instinctive linebacker left to play, and we know what frogs have right now in evans and wallow

i would like to see ben wilson for the same reason i want to see some of the young offensive linemen. if the older players can't get it done play the young guys who can learn