• The KillerFrogs

Overall coaching thread...

Baja Frog

How does the offense match up?
Well we're 102nd in the country out of 130 teams in team pass % completion. In the company of Tennessee, NC State, Arkansas and Vanderbilt. So we got that going for us.

Surprisingly we're 39th in the country in total offense (thanks to our 11th rated rushing offense).

LawFrog504

Cohen's stats make me embarrassed to have gone to TCU. Never relevant, always useless, adds absolutely nothing to twitter. Please make it stop

FrogCop19

Yep. I think you’re exactly right. His mentality is “this ain’t our first rodeo. I’ve been good with these processes and these coaches before, so we’ll obviously be good again. Just gotta grow kids up.”

Problem is he’s sticking to what used to work with assistant coaches that are stale and out of touch. Meanwhile other programs are adapting and innovating.

Sigh

I agree with this completely. As a teacher, I've worked with others and for admin that have that mentality. "My kids scored great on the state exams for the past few years, I don't know why these kids aren't getting my lessons!"

Well, it's because they're not the same kids. At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, kids these days are truly different; they learn differently, they process things differently, and they react to adversity differently than kids from different years. I can stand in front of a group of kids and teach them how to write a compound sentence, but not everyone in the class will get it. Some of them will learn by looking and analyzing the words, some will learn by using magnetic letters and punctuation on a white board, some will learn by hearing the pause in the sentence as it's read out loud. And that's just kids within the same year, same class. In the past, if kids didn't get the lesson as provided, they got left behind, and weren't able to achieve their full potential.

Worse than that, however, are the admin that have been out of the classroom for 20 years and have no idea that kids are changing drastically. Times change, so do the kids, and so does how they learn and get better. We gotta change and figure it out, or we'll get left behind.

Eight

What were his ties to Fuente, Meacham, and Cumbie before he brought them in?

one common thing with meacham and cumbie with burns was that they both were on staffs that ran offenses gary struggled to defend at times.

no idea on fuente.

if you go back and look at the things gary wants this offense to feature it is the things his defense has at times struggled to defend. deep routes and a mobile quarterback.

following that pattern we should see crossing routes and the tight end and running backs isolated on linebackers in 3-4 years.

Wexahu

Aren't statistics fun?!

In the first halves of our 3 losses, our passing statistics are as follows:

21-53 (40% completion %)
117 yards (2.21 yards per attempt)
0 TDs
0 INTs (impressive!)

In our three losses we've attempted 53 passes that netted us 117 yards of offense in 90 minutes of football. And we run Air Raid sets with 3-4 WRs on virtually every play with our QB taking every snap from the shotgun. That to me is the most impressive/depressing stat from this year. The futility of this passing offense knows no bounds.

I'm not even counting what I believe is five sacks, one of which resulted in a TD for the defense. Taken altogether, we might have been better off just taking a knee on all passing plays.