• The KillerFrogs

OU Press Conference

Eight

As much as I like to bag on pressers for their check the box/no info reality, GP has offered some nuggets of wisdom this year. More of a "state of the game" type wisdom. Saban has done the same thing.
I wish we had local media like Bama. Would be cool to see the Coaches at TCU, University of North Texas and SMU get more coverage other than what they get a few minutes a week during their coaches shows on FOX Southwest.

key is to have a head coach who wants to provide that time and provide something more than cliche's. not picking on gary as most coaches just don't seem to enjoy the process though they are paid the amounts they are paid because despite what they believe they are in the entertainment business

LisaLT

What did he mean that Justin Rodgers knee had been cleared but not everything else. Do his arms not work? jk

At least his knee seems to have rehabbed well. There is hope for next season for him. I knew he was not going to play this year, but it is nice to get even a small amount of info on the kid's health.

CountryFrog

What did he mean that Justin Rodgers knee had been cleared but not everything else. Do his arms not work? jk

At least his knee seems to have rehabbed well. There is hope for next season for him. I knew he was not going to play this year, but it is nice to get even a small amount of info on the kid's health.
My assumption is that he means the knee itself is healthy but JR needs to get into game shape (mentally and physically) before he can actually get onto the field. That's a longer process for a QB then it is any other position. Especially when that QB is a true freshman.

CountryFrog

Don't know about anyone else, but some of this schtick is getting old. We're paying elite salaries, getting more elite players and the results aren't elite.

And 3,2,1... flame away.
The results haven't been elite THIS YEAR. We've had 11+ wins 3 of the last 4 years before this season so that's pretty elite.

Eight

apparently patterson is a big marvel comic movie fan and in the spirit of those movies played a brief practice clip of a new trick play for the reporters who stayed through the entire press conference

footage is a bit rough and the frogs need to sharpen things up a bit but there is potential here

AroundWorldFrog

The results haven't been elite THIS YEAR. We've had 11+ wins 3 of the last 4 years before this season so that's pretty elite.
Or three of the last six years if you include this year. Damn statistics.

Edit. Not complaining, but til we get to a level where we can reload without a bad year every other year, it would be great. meaning a down year is 8 wins. Not 5-6.

CountryFrog

Edit. Not complaining, but til we get to a level where we can reload without a bad year every other year, it would be great. meaning a down year is 8 wins. Not 5-6.
That would be great of course but there are very very few programs who never have a below 8 win season. Texas has every resource available to them in the world and I'm pretty sure they've only had one year ABOVE 8 wins since 2010.

I'm not saying it's impossible for TCU to get to that point but I'm not sure that anyone should ever expect it. We simply don't have the unlimited resources that pretty much every program at that type of level has.

Casey T

This is where I am starting to get a little perturbed with this Gary speak. First off, no coach should ever get death threats or any type of physical threat. Whoever does that is a complete low life, but the world we live in has it's bad apples everywhere. Second, I love GP and always will for what he has done for this program and the way he goes about teaching college boys to be young men. I truly believe he cares for his players and everyone around his program and I have a lot of respect for that.

All that being said, he is making more and more comments about how coaching is hard, not easy to win games, and the margin is narrow. I think every rational being would agree that its not easy but lots of things in life aren't easy. You get paid $5MM+ a year to have that tough job. He makes comments about the lack of patience etc. GP has one of the most comfortable jobs in the country. He can go 4-8 one year and no one blinks an eye. Kevin Sumlin got run out of College station for winning 8 games in the SEC west every year except 1.

Saban has won a million national championships and even he get's tough questions. If you want to be elite then you need to take responsibility and not accept only scoring 14 points vs. Tech when everyone and their mom scores 40+. GP has been here 18 years and I hope he stays for as long as he wants, that's the patience I have. But the, college football is hard, woe is me attitude that has been creeping in is a little frustrating.

Edit: It sounds like he wasn't necessarily speaking for himself but more for Mike Stoops (I didn't watch the presser). But I think it is even more of an example that OU, despite winning multiple B12 championships, is still willing to fire a DC midseason because they expect more. Not saying we need to fire anyone but GP should expect more.

Sumlin was fired because he went 25-23 in the SEC

finafrog

Sumlin was fired because he went 25-23 in the SEC
Good point. It really illustrates how ridiculous the standard for his firing was. Kind of like Les Miles. Do we have a winning record in the Big 12? When was the last coach with Big 12 winning record fired?

Eight

remember that after year 1 in the sec sumlin went 19-21, had a string of discipline problems off the field, and had three highly regarded quarterback prospects who transferred out for a variety of reasons

additionally in 2017 they had the late game collapse at the rose bowl in the loss to ucla and after playing bama to within 8 they got beat by 21 and 15 in back to back games at kyle field and those games weren't even as close as the score

given the resources he had available to him the expectations were not to out of line to be competitive in the sec

in response to jimbo, the ags outdid themselves there as they were basically bidding against themselves

Uncle_Frog

I don’t know if we are going to hit the level where our worst seasons are 8-4 considering the competition we play is much tougher now. However I will gladly take 11-13 win seasons half the time with some 6 or 7 win seasons versus 8, 9, or even 10 wins ever year.

Being in the playoff hunt later in the season is a ton of fun and something most other schools never even experience. Those years are more than worth the down years and one day we are going to cash in.

LVH

I don’t know if we are going to hit the level where our worst seasons are 8-4 considering the competition we play is much tougher now. However I will gladly take 11-13 win seasons half the time with some 6 or 7 win seasons versus 8, 9, or even 10 wins ever year.

Being in the playoff hunt later in the season is a ton of fun and something most other schools never even experience. Those years are more than worth the down years and one day we are going to cash in.

I have had Tech fans tell me over the past week that their program is better than ours because they have beaten us 4 of 7 since we joined the Big 12.

Meaningless. We've had 3 11 win seasons since joining the Big 12 and an overall better record, their best year has been 8 wins.

By their logic Ole Miss had a better program than Bama from 2014 to 2016 because they won 2 of 3 from the Tide

Mean Purple

Just make a bowl game it and will be good to go. Gives the players an extra month to practice for next year. Well, about 2 and a half weeks. Then they have to really focus on the bowl.

After perusing OU's fan forum.....they seem relatively assured that they will impose their will upon the Frogs without

any real difficulty. They even referred to our QB as a 'turnover machine'. Ouch!