• The KillerFrogs

OT: YouTubeTV is losing ESPN

HToady

I was one of the suckers in the $400.00 a month range for years until I finally had enough and went YouTube plus NF and Prime. Cut my bill by 70% or so. Been fairly satisfied although YouTube immediately dropped the Fox Sport Regionals while adding 15 channels of the Lifetime Oprah garbage categories. Now this with ESPN around the bowl season. Like others, I’ll give it about a week and then Hulu Live or Sling it. Watching less and less of all of it anymore.
Did some work on it today. DIscovered ATT was charging me $50 a month for a land line. That's gone now. Going through my streaming apps and several ask for my TV provider password. I think the way I may ween myself off regular TV watching behavior, I may keep my direct TV with the cheapest basic TV package only for local news on my primary TV. It's going to be difficult to give up channel surfing (bad ADD), but i did figure out you don't need a newspaper to successfuly complete your morning constitutional!

Wexahu

Did some work on it today. DIscovered ATT was charging me $50 a month for a land line. That's gone now. Going through my streaming apps and several ask for my TV provider password. I think the way I may ween myself off regular TV watching behavior, I may keep my direct TV with the cheapest basic TV package only for local news on my primary TV. It's going to be difficult to give up channel surfing (bad ADD), but i did figure out you don't need a newspaper to successfuly complete your morning constitutional!
Not sure I understand. You get all local channels with a streaming service, you don’t need Directv or cable.

Parents have been paying AT&T ~$700 since 2000 (TV, Internet, Landline). Made a simple phone call two mths ago and the lady acted like this happens all the time (preying off the elderly). She got it down to $135 + from DSL to highspeed. They retained all the same services. Ridiculous.

Check your loved ones that are getting taken to the woodshed by these cable companies.

Eight

Parents have been paying AT&T ~$700 since 2000 (TV, Internet, Landline). Made a simple phone call two mths ago and the lady acted like this happens all the time (preying off the elderly). She got it down to $135 + from DSL to highspeed. They retained all the same services. Ridiculous.

Check your loved ones that are getting taken to the woodshed by these cable companies.

truly amazes me at times what people will pay for services or insurance and aren't even aware of it.

more than one occasion i have told someone we can reduce what they are paying by several thousand and they don't bat an eye.

these are the problems of people with escrow lawyers on retainer

HToady

Not sure I understand. You get all local channels with a streaming service, you don’t need Directv or cable.
What streaming service gives me channel 4, 5, and 11 local news? What streaming service gives me FOX? Why do the streaming apps keep asking me to identify my TV provider?

Hey, I'm trying......

Wexahu

What streaming service gives me channel 4, 5, and 11 local news? What streaming service gives me FOX? Why do the streaming apps keep asking me to identify my TV provider?

Hey, I'm trying......
No problem, I was in your position not knowing what the heck to do and being confused. YouTube TV, Hulu+ (and several others I'm sure) have all the local stations. I'm far from an expert, but probably a good way to tell is just by price point. Any app that is $50/month and up would very likely include local stations.

The only downside to streaming is there is a fairly long delay (40 seconds or so) when watching live sports, and it's a little harder to channel surf. But that's it. No other negatives IMO. No equipment is a huge bonus. Just plug the TV in and go.

Last edited:

HToady

No problem, I once was in your position not knowing what the heck to do and being confused. YouTube TV, Hulu+ (and several others I'm sure) have all the local stations. I'm far from an expert, but probably a good way to tell is just by price point. Any app that is $50/month and up would very likely include local stations.

The only downside to streaming is there is a fairly long delay (40 seconds or so) when watching live sports, and it's a little harder to channel surf. But that's it. No other negatives IMO. No equipment is a huge bonus. Just plug the TV in and go.
Thanks, So when the apps, like Bravo, and ESPN ask during initial login to provide your TV provider info, Youtube, Hulu+. etc will suffice?

Wexahu

Thanks, So when the apps, like Bravo, and ESPN ask during initial login to provide your TV provider info, Youtube, Hulu+. etc will suffice?
I think so but somebody else will have to answer that one. All I have is Amazon prime and Netflix as far as extra apps that I bought and I don’t remember being asked that question.

ECoastFrog

For whatever reason, I was able to watch Bedlam and the B12 Championship games, live on regular YouTube. I've never seen that happen before. Maybe they were illegal streams? I dunno.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
One thing I hate about HULU is having to push a button twice to change the channel. Can't tell you how many times I've found something on the guide, hit select, put down the remote to do something else and 10 seconds later there's a screen staring at me asking 'are you sure?' I'm just changing the channel...not being asked a question by Regis to win a million.
I think your tv is trying to tell you something.

hiphopfroggy

How does Hulu suck? Not attacking your opinion, just curious. I’ve had it for years and I’ve been fine with it. But maybe I’m missing something.
It's not Hulu that sucks, it's Hulu+ Live that sucks. Ad free Hulu for $10 is great, but when you pay $80 for Hulu+ Live you are forced to watch ads. There are numerous other issues with Hulu+ live that make it suck as well.

We love Hulu though.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

There oughta be a special kind of hell for swine that prey on the elderly. Suffice to say that I have found, after working through my Mom's bills, that she had been getting charged by a number of dodgy outfits for useless "services" that she spoke with "some nice young man on the phone" about. I had to cut off her cards and shut off her credit/loan access.

Urrr...

McGregor's Goat

I've been using YouTube TV for a few years; today I changed my Hulu bundle to Hulu (no ads)/ Disney +/ ESPN +/ Live TV for $79/month. My early impression is it's fine for live TV. YouTube TV was better - better interface, and the unlimited cloud DVR was great. May have to pay extra to get more than the pathetic 50 hour cloud DVR from Hulu. Or I may switch back when YouTube works it out. That's the beauty of the month-to-month contract and not having to rent any equipment. It took a couple minutes to go into my account and click a button, and I was watching a couple mediocre teams play a ridiculous bowl game.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I've been using YouTube TV for a few years; today I changed my Hulu bundle to Hulu (no ads)/ Disney +/ ESPN +/ Live TV for $79/month. My early impression is it's fine for live TV. YouTube TV was better - better interface, and the unlimited cloud DVR was great. May have to pay extra to get more than the pathetic 50 hour cloud DVR from Hulu. Or I may switch back when YouTube works it out. That's the beauty of the month-to-month contract and not having to rent any equipment. It took a couple minutes to go into my account and click a button, and I was watching a couple mediocre teams play a ridiculous bowl game.
You can keep so much in your My Stuff without recording there is always plenty to binge watch. Plus you can always find those shows in the library or I can go back and find TCU games to watch on YouTube. My 50 hours of cloud DVR is not an issue. I rarely use it. I do go clean it up every now and then.

Last edited:

Double V

Google is no angel obviously, but this is on Disney as they are trying to jack up the rates they charge YouTubeTV in an attempt to get YouTubeTV subscribers to cancel and switch to Hulu Live which they own. Hulu Live and Youtube TV are competitors and Hulu Live sucks ass. FuboTV or Sling if ending up needing to switch.
I've tried YTTV, Fubo, and Sling. I much prefer Fubo, but currently have Sling because Fubo didn't have TBS/TNT (NL playoff baseball...). Sling is nice and cheap, though.