• The KillerFrogs

OT - Who is calling the Pat v Chief game with Nance?

Romo was fine

I’ll never understand people’s obsession with hating commentators. Zero games occur on this planet without people saying that this crew is the worst or so and so sucks and is making me mute the TV.
Agree on both points. I guess Romo could be less excitable but I like how often he is able to say what is about to happen rather than just explaining what we've already seen afterward.

TCURiggs

I thought Romo was great. His insight to the game is incredible, and I like it when a broadcaster gets fired up. Gus Johnson makes a game more fun, IMO. I like Joe Buck and Aikman as well. I mostly just like watching the football games and don't care about stuff like broadcasters, gameday presentation, etc... Just give me football.

DickBumpastache

How could a human being who has (presumably) been alive for the last ~15 years and is in the general vicinity of North Texas not know who Tony Romo is?

And liking Jim Nantz while hating Romo is proof that there is such a thing as a wrong opinion.

Pharm Frog

1) Then why are you watching it?

2) Then why come on here to [ hundin] about it?

I watched this game only because I wanted to see the kid who my son caught for try to get to the Super Bowl which I think would be amazing. I was continuously reminded why I find many other things to do on Sundays. I only knew that I wasn’t hearing Phil Simms who I suppose is no longer in the broadcast booth which is why I asked who was in there with Nance. To be fair, I felt like the officiating creating immense dead-time and seemingly schizophrenic was more of an enjoyment destroyer than Tony Romo.

But now I see that Mr Brees is advocating for reviews of penalties or maybe non-penalties. Maybe they could play 8 minute quarters.

froginmn

Delete thread, ban ME!
banh-mi_thecozyapron_1.jpg

Eight

information was good, but the delivery was terrible

he doesn't need to go vin scully, but the moment in sport creates enough excitement you don't need to be a hype man

Purp

Tony’s content is amazing. His delivery is borderline migraine inducing.
I was about to say something similar. Every time I watch a game he's calling it's like watching the Coaches' Round Table CFP games with CGP. He's reading the defense and audibleizing what the QB is seeing as he's seeing it. You're basically in a QB's head watching the pre-snap decision making and 9 times out of 10 what Romo is calling out actually happens. He sees the coverages and the match-ups and sees the kill sign from the QB and tells you what's about to happen and then it happens.

He sounds goofier than darn doing it, but I love it nevertheless. It's impressive to me.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Ghastly. Fake "enthusiasm" and NFL-memo generated talking points. The mute button was hit pretty early on...

After losing interest before halftime, Mrs. Brewingfrog switched the game broadcast back on a couple of hours later "just to see what happened..." managing to catch the late interception which was magically waved away with a timely penalty flag. "I don't know why I bothered," she opined. "They're just going to hand it to the stinking Patriots."

Purp

I know NF was a pompous jerk as a player. But hot damn he is an excellent golf announcer. There's been others, and I won't debate who's the GOAT, but NF is excellent. I also think/know he has mellowed in his criticism of other players. Where as I can't listen to johnny miller at all.

I have officially derailed this post, which was a bad post to start with.

Delete thread, ban ME!
I cosign every word of this. Have said the exact same things for well over a decade.

Wexahu

But now I see that Mr Brees is advocating for reviews of penalties or maybe non-penalties. Maybe they could play 8 minute quarters.

I hear a bunch of otherwise reasonable people advocating for instant replay reviews of pass interference calls. Don't know how that could possibly be done without creating a massive cluster scheiss. It would be a disaster in my opinion.

Eight

curious, plenty of talk about the call in the saints game, a couple of people saying the chiefs got screwed, and no mention of the pick by the chief receiver on the late touchdown that had bill throwing his tablet on the sideline

Wexahu

I'm thinking they could do something like a separate challenge for PI that could be used once a game.

What is pass interference?

That's the problem. Two reasonable people can watch the same play and easily have two different opinions about whether it should be pass interference or not. What if a challenge flag is thrown for PI but the replay shows that the WR actually slightly pushed off a bit before the defender came back and slightly grabbed the WRs jersey before the catch? What's the call?

PI is way too often totally a judgment call, unlike whether a guy's foot was inbounds, touched the ball, etc. Totally different deal.

Wexahu

curious, plenty of talk about the call in the saints game, a couple of people saying the chiefs got screwed, and no mention of the pick by the chief receiver on the late touchdown that had bill throwing his tablet on the sideline

Maybe I missed it, haven't read back through everything, but on the play at the end where Brady threw the pick that would've ended the game, the KC guy was lined up in the neutral zone, the NE left tackle was lined up about 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage to get a head start on his pass blocking set too. He was pretty much doing that every play.

What is pass interference?

That's the problem. Two reasonable people can watch the same play and easily have two different opinions about whether it should be pass interference or not. What if a challenge flag is thrown for PI but the replay shows that the WR actually slightly pushed off a bit before the defender came back and slightly grabbed the WRs jersey before the catch? What's the call?

PI is way too often totally a judgment call, unlike whether a guy's foot was inbounds, touched the ball, etc. Totally different deal.

I hear ya. I wish we knew.

It goes back to what GP has said in the past. If you put it in the hands of the officials you're asking for trouble. Leave no doubt and it won't matter. The Saints had many opportunities to leave no doubt.

Eight

Maybe I missed it, haven't read back through everything, but on the play at the end where Brady threw the pick that would've ended the game, the KC guy was lined up in the neutral zone, the NE left tackle was lined up about 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage to get a head start on his pass blocking set too. He was pretty much doing that every play.

numerous calls much like nba or mlb.