• The KillerFrogs

OT: The Dodge Brothers are spinning out in their caskets!

Bob Sugar

Eight

This is best write up I have seen so far.

I have two cars and a truck from 1931 to 1934. I just wonder how far down the road will it be before gasoline will be hard to find.

This is best write up I have seen so far.

I have two cars and a truck from 1931 to 1934. I just wonder how far down the road will it be before gasoline will be hard to find.

anyone remember if a global "pandemic" started the events at the first of mad max?

froginaustin

westoverhillbilly

I remember reading an article on my honeymoon about how Ethanol is the future for vehicles and that petrol was on the way out. My honeymoon was almost 17 years ago.
I remember reading those claims about Ethanol also in that era. Ethanol has no economic advantages over petroleum whereas EVs have huge advantages. The cost to charge my EV are less than 1/4 of the cost to provide gasoline for my wife’s similar sized Lexus and the comfort and smoothness of the ride of the EV makes her vehicle feel like driving a road grader.

Eight

I remember reading those claims about Ethanol also in that era. Ethanol has no economic advantages over petroleum whereas EVs have huge advantages. The cost to charge my EV are less than 1/4 of the cost to provide gasoline for my wife’s similar sized Lexus and the comfort and smoothness of the ride of the EV makes her vehicle feel like driving a road grader.

knew a guy who had a jag with the 12-cylinder engine and when that car was in tune the combination of the power generated by that motor and smoothness of acceleration was like very few cars i have ridden

granted, after roughly 30 minutes of drive time it was back to the shop to get the kinks worked out, but those 30 minutes were glorious and no ev can match the sound of that engine

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
knew a guy who had a jag with the 12-cylinder engine and when that car was in tune the combination of the power generated by that motor and smoothness of acceleration was like very few cars i have ridden

granted, after roughly 30 minutes of drive time it was back to the shop to get the kinks worked out, but those 30 minutes were glorious and no ev can match the sound of that engine
Yep. A buddy of mine bought a used (Sorry, Pre-Owned) Aston-Martin V-12 Vantage of an early 2000s vintage. Magnificent car. I got to drive it a few times, and the power and legs of that V-12 were mightily impressive, and it certainly had that smoothness factor of which you speak. It seemed to get stronger the faster you went, and the suspension, steering, and brakes could handle it, too. The thing just oozed confidence and strength.

Sigh.

StigFrog

My son's dream car is an early E-Type Jag. He has ridden in two lately and found out at 6' he is about 2 inches too tall. Maybe the Series 2 model will fit. The 12 cylinder model has that horrible Federal Government mandated front bumper. Hope to not go that new.

Eight

My son's dream car is an early E-Type Jag. He has ridden in two lately and found out at 6' he is about 2 inches too tall. Maybe the Series 2 model will fit. The 12 cylinder model has that horrible Federal Government mandated front bumper. Hope to not go that new.

there is a stretch of jags that are works of art to look at, listen to, and to drive

StigFrog

there is a stretch of jags that are works of art to look at, listen to, and to drive
jaguar-xk140-1950-1959.jpg

I fell in love with this shape in the fourth grade. I need to sell one of my cars collecting dust to make room for this. What beautiful music the 3.4 liter straight 6 makes.

Eight

jaguar-xk140-1950-1959.jpg

I fell in love with this shape in the fourth grade. I need to sell one of my cars collecting dust to make room for this. What beautiful music the 3.4 liter straight 6 makes.

absolutely gorgeous stig, back when designing a car was about the beauty in the design

who wouldn't look good behind the wheel of that or this?

24780506-2-36.jpg

Long Time Lurker

Until everyone has one and gas is a relic. Plus the Texas grid can’t even handle a triple digit day now, what happens when everyone has a car to plug In.

Dogfrog

Having driven an EV now for 20 months and over 30,000 miles and covered the eastern perimeter of the US from the Great Lakes in Wisc to Bar Harbor, ME to Key West, FL along the Gulf to Corpus, there is no doubt in my mind that EVs will take over and not too far in the future. Lithium is found everywhere and likely won’t be used in batteries too far into the future as auto mfrs already have vehicles on the line with solid state batteries using other materials.

These Dodge muscle EVs will be so superior in performance and comfort to their gas counterparts and will cost a small fraction to fuel and maintain.
I’ve been driving EV’s for 7 years and recently ordered a new one. I have mentioned this before but after my wife was in a wreck that totaled our BMW ev during covid, the only place we could get another one without going into the dealership (covid) was a GM dealer so we leased a GM EV in 2020. In 2021 GM recalled all their EV’s going back to 2018 production because of battery fires. There were some house fires from random battery fires happening, homes burned down. And this was across multiple mfrs. GM recalled but had no fix so they sent owners instructions greatly restricting charging and told owners not to park in the garage! until they could redesign the batteries. These are nasty fires that can burn 24 hours. I was able to work out a repurchase deal with GM - returned the car and they gave me a check. I do love the ev’s because they are fun but the environmental part is mostly BS. Tesla will continue with lithium although in some models they are switching from nickel to iron cathode on the standard range models. Nickel is the better performer but it is getting scarce and expensive partly due to its nasty mining process.

BrewingFrog

Like anything, there are reasons for and against purchasing just about anything. I can see some scenarios where an electric vehicle would be nice: In a city, with a short commute, and limited short range side trips to grocery, dry cleaners, etc. for instance. Kids sort of dictate a large SUV-ish vehicle. My situation is totally incompatible with the electric car, in that I live in a deeply rural area with long range drives for groceries, dry cleaning, etc., and I regularly tote 600 lbs. or more of feed around in the back, and maybe a trailer full of tractor or unhappy cattle. The power and torque of a diesel engine is necessary for the latter two jobs.

I would like to have the freedom to purchase what I will, for the reasons I find compelling. Want an electric car? Fine by me. I simply don't want to pay for it via subsidies, and have a little issue with the road tax fees I have to pay when I buy fuel that you don't. Yet those are trivial issues that can be dealt with. What is not trivial is the ludicrous "No ICE engines by 2030" crap being shoveled out, a diktat that flies in the face of a great deal of reality.

westoverhillbilly

Like anything, there are reasons for and against purchasing just about anything. I can see some scenarios where an electric vehicle would be nice: In a city, with a short commute, and limited short range side trips to grocery, dry cleaners, etc. for instance. Kids sort of dictate a large SUV-ish vehicle. My situation is totally incompatible with the electric car, in that I live in a deeply rural area with long range drives for groceries, dry cleaning, etc., and I regularly tote 600 lbs. or more of feed around in the back, and maybe a trailer full of tractor or unhappy cattle. The power and torque of a diesel engine is necessary for the latter two jobs.

I would like to have the freedom to purchase what I will, for the reasons I find compelling. Want an electric car? Fine by me. I simply don't want to pay for it via subsidies, and have a little issue with the road tax fees I have to pay when I buy fuel that you don't. Yet those are trivial issues that can be dealt with. What is not trivial is the ludicrous "No ICE engines by 2030" crap being shoveled out, a diktat that flies in the face of a great deal of reality.
I agree on not using subsidies to promote EVs in that even Elon Musk said that they're unncecessary. I didn't receive any because Tesla had already sold beyond their limit of cars to receive subsidies. My CPA said that alternative minimum tax would have made any tax credits i would have received unusable anyway. Your range anxiety about getting places in an EV is understandable and common but workable- with range now exceeding 300 miles (probably 225 if pulling 600#), you would likely have plenty of charge to do whatever you needed to do then plug in at night for 4 hours. But, you would need a heavy duty truck and those are a couple of years away.

HG73

You need a Prius.

BrewingFrog

I agree on not using subsidies to promote EVs in that even Elon Musk said that they're unncecessary. I didn't receive any because Tesla had already sold beyond their limit of cars to receive subsidies. My CPA said that alternative minimum tax would have made any tax credits i would have received unusable anyway. Your range anxiety about getting places in an EV is understandable and common but workable- with range now exceeding 300 miles (probably 225 if pulling 600#), you would likely have plenty of charge to do whatever you needed to do then plug in at night for 4 hours. But, you would need a heavy duty truck and those are a couple of years away.
The recent "Pull-Off" tests with the F-150 Lightning vs the diesel F-250 were not encouraging in that regard. Of course, the vast majority of F-150 buyers are not hauling big trailers around, but I am in that small group that actually uses the truck for truck-stuff. I have seen the hype on the Tesla Truck, and will probably have a look at it, but it looks more like a Hot Wheels toy than an actual working vehicle. We shall see.

Latest posts