• The KillerFrogs

OT - Starting a new career in late 30s/early 40s

HFrog1999

Choose a career in something you really love and you will never work a day in your life...because all of those jobs are either done by computers/machines or have been exported overseas to be done cheaper.

That’s why I work as

01bd8dd34b801d97fc0702989ebc4d32.gif

froginmn

I was young (mid 20s) when I switched from sales into technology. Some things carried over from one job to the other - dealing with people, negotiating to come to agreement, etc. I was a bit surprised that any skills transferred.
I then spent 20 years with one organization and for the last three I was miserable and decided to change, even though it was against conventional wisdom.

I LOVE the new company. I doubt that you will regret the change, especially if you aren't happy now.

Find what you like to do and don't stop asking questions. Learning never ends but especially in your circumstance.

And by the way, I love this and think it's relevant:

TheElephant

I've been in public education for 15 years, and I think it's time to go another direction. Thing is, I'm not really sure of what that direction is....so I'm curious to hear from those who have done it out there.
Easy answer is to become a musician. That's what I did and now I'm divorced and my wife is sleeping with my ex lead singer.

Maybe I'm not the one to ask advice from, sorry.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Is more schooling a possibility?

Steel knows of people in your exact situation who kept their job for three years, went to what is now Texas A&M law school at night and made good money after graduating. Teachers do well as trial attorneys because they’ve learned to explain things to children which is a very important skill in trial

I assume he is looking for honest work…

Mean Purple

I've been in public education for 15 years, and I think it's time to go another direction. Thing is, I'm not really sure of what that direction is....so I'm curious to hear from those who have done it out there.
I know this is going to sound run of the mill, but, if money was not a concern (meaning how much you make) what would you want to do?

I am going through those thoughts on the "professional" "office" side of my career now.

Mean Purple

Also, in public ed, did you by chance teach of class of bratty 1st graders who refused to behave? If so, you are an ideal candidate for Chief of Staff for a congressional office.

Horny4TCU

1 month for every 10K in salary you want. So 80k will take about 8 months to find a job and get it. So give yourself time and squirrel some money away before resigning and/or have something lined up before resigning.

Practice interviewing. Use the star method if you're outta practice, or even if you want to improve your interviewing skills. Be positive in the interview, even if they ask a negative question, spin it. Dress in formal business attire (black suit preferred, white shirt, good tie with no logos). Research the company, have questions for the interview, and have thank you notes. Get business cards before you leave, hand write a thank you, leave it with the secretary. If you have a phone or zoom interview, send an email thank you. You'll land most any job you want, just spin your resume to the industry.

Eight

1 month for every 10K in salary you want. So 80k will take about 8 months to find a job and get it. So give yourself time and squirrel some money away before resigning and/or have something lined up before resigning.

Practice interviewing. Use the star method if you're outta practice, or even if you want to improve your interviewing skills. Be positive in the interview, even if they ask a negative question, spin it. Dress in formal business attire (black suit preferred, white shirt, good tie with no logos). Research the company, have questions for the interview, and have thank you notes. Get business cards before you leave, hand write a thank you, leave it with the secretary. If you have a phone or zoom interview, send an email thank you. You'll land most any job you want, just spin your resume to the industry.

your thoughts on tie color, say crimson for a big event?

Horny4TCU

If you don't know what industry or job, think long term. And when you're thinking about it, ask, "Can this job be replaced by robots in 5 to 10 years.)

Being an educator, you have soft skills, people skills, teaching skills, which are not replaceable. Look into something with negotiation or training.

Last edited:

Horny4TCU

your thoughts on tie color, say crimson for a big event?
Truly it depends on who you're interviewing with and for what position. Burgundy is a power color, wear it if applying to management. Grey is more for analytic positions. Blue is calculating color. Psychologically, the color will make a subtle hint to your interviewer into your personality. And in corporate America, unless you're going for a big position, personality needs to be left out, so look up the color that fits the position you want.

asleep003

There are several quality suggestions so far ... there are already way too many Attorneys out there... no need to go back to school for that.

The school you need is the school of Knuckle busting for 6 months...
a)working on a drilling rig for 1/2 a year... on shore or offshore(or both) as a rough neck/or a Mud company helper/etc ...,and good money... learn everything you can about the drilling operations and purchase a couple of books about basic Drilling operations. Drilling is going to have several good years left and not going away soon , plus a good way to travel or work overseas.

b) there is the equipment Manufacturing and/or service side of the production side of the oil industry, like Haliburton ... though starting out as a hey boy still makes very decent wages. learn everything about that business in the field. You want to be in the field and how all your firm's and friendly competitor's equipment basically operates/interacts/and functions together. A book on basic overall production practices while learning.

c) Same basic principle approach for the non fossil fuel industries. Go after entry level Solar or Wind industry companies. Can catch this industry on the rise and may be a bit more opportunistic for you in the short term.

Commit to a minimum of 6 months in the field. people love interviewing people with practical knowledge of their business whether with the company you learned from or one of the competitors(most likely)... for sales/operations/or manufacturing... Like the Nike slogin... Just Do It !

Ron Swanson

I worked for JPMorgan Chase for ten years after college, then made the jump into outside sales. I had a bunch of friends in sales who seemed to enjoy their jobs a lot more than me, so I started looking into it.

I started in construction industry sales in 2014 and then last year moved to a new company selling CNC machines for the manufacturing industry. Machining/manufacturing is a whole world I never really knew existed and it’s great. I’m currently in the process of trying to sell machines to a company that recently landed the contract to build the next International Space Station.

Absolutely love the life of being an outside sales rep and could never imagine going back to a standard 9-5. Sales jobs can be absolutely terrible or they can be fantastic, depending on the industry, company, and manager. If anyone gets into sales, my main advice is to go out every single day and bang on doors. Don’t be lazy and don’t be afraid.

Side note: It may seem like it’s never the right time to make a career move for a variety of reasons, but just do it. Last year in a 3 week span… I started my new job, I got diagnosed with cancer, the Covid pandemic hit, and my son was born. Just don’t be a pu$$ and make it work.