• The KillerFrogs

OT - Starting a new career in late 30s/early 40s

Long Time Lurker

Be humble. No body gives a [ Finebaum ] what you did the last 15 years. I was very disgruntled by the lack of respect for what I had done. I had to take a lower position than I should have but got promoted quick. Of course I was promoted quick because I should have started at the higher level. I felt like they looked at me as a 40 year old with an MA and nothing else really. I had a full page list of accolades, nobody cared. Find where you want to be and take the job that will get you the opportunity you deserve now but may not get looked at for.

Big Frog II

I've been in public education for 15 years, and I think it's time to go another direction. Thing is, I'm not really sure of what that direction is....so I'm curious to hear from those who have done it out there.
I went to work for a company I thought I would have the chance to buy someday. Thankfully it has worked out like I hoped. Now if I could just fill some of the warehouse positions that I have open, I would be very happy.

HFrog1999

I've been in public education for 15 years, and I think it's time to go another direction. Thing is, I'm not really sure of what that direction is....so I'm curious to hear from those who have done it out there.

I was going to do some sort of career change program that the alumni group sent me, but it was canceled due to lack of interest.

I’ve been trying to move out of commissioned sales for 20 years, so I have no helpful advice to give

steelfrog

Tier 1
Is more schooling a possibility?

Steel knows of people in your exact situation who kept their job for three years, went to what is now Texas A&M law school at night and made good money after graduating. Teachers do well as trial attorneys because they’ve learned to explain things to children which is a very important skill in trial

One Frog Nation

I have switched industries a couple of times. If you can manage and learn you can do well in most areas. The key is when you switch industries is to learn learn and learn more. Making decisions is easy but gaining respect around your decisions will come from thoroughly understanding the industry, the processes in place and the culture. I have seen many people switch who come in knowing the answers but not the questions - they don't last.

Eight

first, take advantage of resources available such as the career center in regards to any testing, guidance, etc...

second, write out what you like about what you do, what you dislike, and why do you want to make the change. keep it macro and avoid micro.

third, talk to everyone you know about this, remember that very, very few people stay with one job and even if they have stayed in the same industry the odds of someone staying in one place for over 10 years is a bit rare

ask them about their path, people they have seen make the jump for one industry to another, what skills etc... are desired, transfer and as much as i hate to say it steel had a good thought about schooling. can you go to school for a few years to get the required education that some industry require?

a big key here is remember that you have experience and skills that will work in a variety of areas, the people you are going to talk to don't understand what you do and you have to figure out how to explain to someone what you have done so they can transfer that idea into their world.

mc1502

What would you like to do? You need to answer that question first. That sounds a little elementary, but starting over typically results in a temporary drop in pay, and many can't stomach the reduction without knowing they are going into a career that really interests them.

I work in HR and have seen many people change careers. The successful ones seek a direction that interests them, then they learn everything there is to learn about that profession. You will however have to start close to the bottom, then work your way up. But starting at the bottom of some professions still pays fairly well (relatively speaking). You would be amazed at how many professions require similar skillsets. I work on the total rewards side of HR (Comp, Ben, Wellness...), and I am in the process of hiring a person from my companies' finance team because of their analytical and financial skills. They will be working on Executive Comp LTI and DCP modeling/analysis/administration. These duties are miles away from what she currently does, but her current work requires the same skillset I need.

Last edited:

FinanceFrog

good for you. it takes cojones to change your life. A lot of people don’t change or are afraid of it and ultimately regret it or live lives they don’t like.

i don’t have any advice other than to say - do it.

Armadillo

After my cancer diagnosis in 1999 (at age 28) and in corporate for about 6 years, I upped and quit the corporate world in 2001 (after a couple years of chemo and surgeries and a clean bill of health). I hated corporate! I moved back to Austin (my home town after spending 11 years in FW) and went to work in retail, making $10/hr. I worked at a renowned running shoe store, and within 6 months I doubled my measly pay and was managing one of our 4 stores. I spent 12 to 13 years in retail operations (working both "mom & pop" and big box retail) learning everything I could, and finally opened my own business at age 43. I kinda miss making that $10/hr. I slept well and zero stress! But being self employed is the ultimate dream fulfilled for me.

In all seriousness, you ever need advice on starting a business or taking that leap, always feel free to PM me.

Long Time Lurker

After my cancer diagnosis in 1999 (at age 28) and in corporate for about 6 years, I upped and quit the corporate world in 2001 (after a couple years of chemo and surgeries and a clean bill of health). I hated corporate! I moved back to Austin (my home town after spending 11 years in FW) and went to work in retail, making $10/hr. I worked at a renowned running shoe store, and within 6 months I doubled my measly pay and was managing one of our 4 stores. I spent 12 to 13 years in retail operations (working both "mom & pop" and big box retail) learning everything I could, and finally opened my own business at age 43. I kinda miss making that $10/hr. I slept well and zero stress! But being self employed is the ultimate dream fulfilled for me.

In all seriousness, you ever need advice on starting a business or taking that leap, always feel free to PM me.
That’s awesome!

jake102

Best job I ever had was unloading the 18 wheelers at Academy Sports at 4am making $10/hr. The job was to unload the truck, whatever came in it, and that was it. Fun people, physical work but indoors and not too hard, leave the job at the door when you leave.

Frozen Frog

Education is a tough field. Your work is appreciated, and you do have transferable skills. I left education after about the same time frame. It's tough, but I am glad I did it. I ended up working some summer jobs at various offices. I had some great experiences. I looked at law school, but I couldn't swing the cost. I then looked at a MBA which again came at a high cost. My other concerns with those was the over-saturation of those markets. I had a part time job doing some tax work that I really enjoyed. I ended up going back and getting a CPA. Dallas College (formerly Dallas County Community College) has a program where you can take all the courses required for the CPA through them while paying community college tuition. I could afford that, and it's a desirable qualification. I am studying for the exams now.

Try some new things during your free time. Find something you enjoy and do well. You might start low, but that means you can grow. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Frozen Frog

Some of the stressors from teaching were too much for me. I am now able to breathe at my job. I still work with kids, but it is as a volunteer through church and other activities.

Also check with the district to see if they have openings away from education. Sometimes they need people to manage certain projects. I knew of a teacher that left the classroom to manage the bus fleet. He thought it was a strange move, but he seemed to enjoy it.