• The KillerFrogs

OT: Smoker Recommendation

netty2424

Did I show y’all my new drums?

psdocof.jpg
Nice set up FIL. Those drum smokers look great! And congrats on the podium for the steak.

I ended up going with a Green Mountain Pellet Grill. I have used it a bunch in the last month and a half since I purchased, and finally decided to take the plunge and smoke a brisket this weekend. Turned out pretty darning good.

I really like my sleep so I followed the Malcolm Reed low and slow overnight game plan.

Put it on at 11pm. 195, untouched for 8hrs.
Pulled it at 7am at 155.
Wrapped it in butcher paper, temp up to 250.
Pulled it at 1:30pm with internal temp at 204.
Put it in the cooler until 3:30.

Flavor was excellent. Bark was perfect. Plenty of smoke at 195 all night. Point was perfect. Flat wasn't bad, but was a little more chewy than I would’ve liked. I decided last minute not to add a water tray, mainly because I forgot it in the house and was too lazy to go get it.

Thoughts on including a water tray for a long cook like that?

Frog-in-law1995

Nice set up FIL. Those drum smokers look great! And congrats on the podium for the steak.

I ended up going with a Green Mountain Pellet Grill. I have used it a bunch in the last month and a half since I purchased, and finally decided to take the plunge and smoke a brisket this weekend. Turned out pretty darning good.

I really like my sleep so I followed the Malcolm Reed low and slow overnight game plan.

Pulled it at 7am at 155.

Flavor was excellent. Bark was perfect. Plenty of smoke at 195 all night. Point was perfect. Flat wasn't bad, but was a little more chewy than I would’ve liked. I decided last minute not to add a water tray, mainly because I forgot it in the house and was too lazy to go get it.

That looks great.

Horny4TCU

Ah! I forgot about this thread... I thought it disappeared in the reorganization.

Update! I got the Highland Offset Smoker! Need to buy some thing and make some modifications, before I try the first brisket and pork butt.

tcumaniac

5HX7bzX.jpg

818F7UQ.jpg

Lost by 2/10ths of a point to a 7-time SCA steak champ. Taste and temp were perfect. I think the tiny split at the top left hurt me.
Looks great!

I read Aaron Franklin’s steak book over quarantine, and he made two points I’d never heard before that went against conventional steak wisdom:
1. That those pretty, crosshatched char marks, while an indication of a delicious Maillardian crust, are inferior to a crust that covers the entire surface of the steak (more flavor).
2. He also attempts to debunk the “one time flip” citing that a scientific study proved that frequently flipping cooks the meat more evenly, and significantly faster, and helps prevent the potential bitterness of a char mark from a steak left on the grill too long.

Was curious what your thoughts on this were, especially from the perspective of a competition steak. Would the steak be thrown out if it didn’t have the unified char marks?

Frog-in-law1995

Looks great!

I read Aaron Franklin’s steak book over quarantine, and he made two points I’d never heard before that went against conventional steak wisdom:
1. That those pretty, crosshatched char marks, while an indication of a delicious Maillardian crust, are inferior to a crust that covers the entire surface of the steak (more flavor).
2. He also attempts to debunk the “one time flip” citing that a scientific study proved that frequently flipping cooks the meat more evenly, and significantly faster, and helps prevent the potential bitterness of a char mark from a steak left on the grill too long.

Was curious what your thoughts on this were, especially from the perspective of a competition steak. Would the steak be thrown out if it didn’t have the unified char marks?

Yeah, I agree with both points. Though as long as competition steaks are judged at least in part on appearance, the precision grill marks will remain necessary. Won’t get thrown out, but won’t score as well. As for flipping, yeah definitely. To keep those grill marks I have the option of flipping 1, 2 or 3 times. 3 cooks the most evenly. Grill temps fluctuate throughout the cook. Cooking 3 minutes on one side, flipping, and cooking another 3 on the other side won’t produce the same result as 1 minute per side flipping 6 times. Grill temp can fluctuate a lot more in 3 minutes than in 1.

Frog-in-law1995

Pulled it at 7am at 155.

Just saw your question about the water pan. I honestly can’t tell a difference. I don’t do it much at all because it just means more to clean up. In an offset, though, I might be more inclined.

As for the chewy flat...couple thoughts. While 204 is probably perfect, don’t use internal temperature to tell you when it is done, use it to tell you when to start checking to see if it is done. It’s done when your thermometer probe or a toothpick can go in and out without resistance. Similar to when a baked potato is done. I start checking around ~200, maybe a little earlier for wagyu. And the single biggest cause of chewy brisket is not cutting directly across the grain of the meat. You want the shortest possible muscle fibers. Being off by even a little bit can really affect the texture. I always cut a small notch perpendicular to the grain on the flat end before smoking so I know where to cut later.

Ron Swanson

Looks great!

Agree on both points.

The whole flip one time thing is stupid and makes no sense, just an old wives tale that’s gotten passed down forever.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Looks great!

I found a heavy iron grill, with nice thick pieces that sear perfect lines into steaks. The mass of iron helps the grill maintain temperature, so the grill marks are even and thick.

I like to get steaks cut thick, so they get a sear on one side, and a sear on the other, then they go to indirect heat. Thus, I don't have the squares unless I really want to be fancy...

Haven't tried the sous vide trick yet, but probably will soon.

Frog-in-law1995

I found a heavy iron grill, with nice thick pieces that sear perfect lines into steaks. The mass of iron helps the grill maintain temperature, so the grill marks are even and thick.

I like to get steaks cut thick, so they get a sear on one side, and a sear on the other, then they go to indirect heat. Thus, I don't have the squares unless I really want to be fancy...

Haven't tried the sous vide trick yet, but probably will soon.

Yeah, the grill marks pattern is for the birds unless I’m competing or practicing. There’s a product out there called Grillgrates that uses anodized aluminum to do the same thing as a heavy iron grate. Very popular in competition for the grill marks. It is a great heat conductor and gets almost as hot as the fire itself. And very lightweight. They make them to fit just about every commercial grill you can think of.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yeah, the grill marks pattern is for the birds unless I’m competing or practicing. There’s a product out there called Grillgrates that uses anodized aluminum to do the same thing as a heavy iron grate. Very popular in competition for the grill marks. It is a great heat conductor and gets almost as hot as the fire itself. And very lightweight. They make them to fit just about every commercial grill you can think of.
I've never had good results with aluminum. Well, except with beer cans...

I was surprised by the results with the iron grill. I had cooked on my Weber forever and always used their chromed shiny grills. After making the move some years ago to iron skillets and other iron cookware, mainly because of how good it was with an induction stove. It stays good and hot for a while, and that works well when slapping a steak down onto it.

Eh. Link won't work.

InstaFrog

Been using them for a couple years. Brought my built in grill back to life. Also, flip them over and you get a flat top that will put a great sear on steaks, chicken, fish and smashburgers.

Frog-in-law1995

Been using them for a couple years. Brought my built in grill back to life. Also, flip them over and you get a flat top that will put a great sear on steaks, chicken, fish and smashburgers.

That’s brilliant. Bought mine maybe 6 months ago specifically for competition, but will try some other applications as well.

netty2424

Just saw your question about the water pan. I honestly can’t tell a difference. I don’t do it much at all because it just means more to clean up. In an offset, though, I might be more inclined.

As for the chewy flat...couple thoughts. While 204 is probably perfect, don’t use internal temperature to tell you when it is done, use it to tell you when to start checking to see if it is done. It’s done when your thermometer probe or a toothpick can go in and out without resistance. Similar to when a baked potato is done. I start checking around ~200, maybe a little earlier for wagyu. And the single biggest cause of chewy brisket is not cutting directly across the grain of the meat. You want the shortest possible muscle fibers. Being off by even a little bit can really affect the texture. I always cut a small notch perpendicular to the grain on the flat end before smoking so I know where to cut later.
I will pay closer attention to both moving forward. I did actually cut the tip to give me a flat end for slicing in the right direction. Maybe i was off a bit.

Thanks for the pointers.

PKs are 90% of the grills you see at SCA (steak) competitions. I’m just easing my way into those with my weber kettle (the other 10%). They look strange but the results don’t lie.
My dad used a PK when I was a kid. I think he had that grill for 50 years. Hadn't seen or thought of them in years but recently came across one at Ace. Definitely wanting one just for the nostalgia

Last edited: