• The KillerFrogs

OT: Smoker Recommendation

Bob Sugar

I have been reading some missives from a fellow who is a big sous-vide fan. He has been cooking all kinds of things in his water rig, from ribs to whole butts, and getting what he calls fabulous results. I don't think his rig is big enough to cram a brisket into, but he'll probably try to use a bathtub or something. Maybe an old sink...

Anyway, the method is simple: Put meat in vacuum bag and seal up. Put meat in water bath and heat to desired temperature over time. The trick is the temperature can be controlled perfectly and held for hours, unlike using old-fashioned forms of matter like air which require some guesswork and skill to maintain, and once you reach that desired time/temperature curve you can remove the meat and give it a proper sear to work that Maillard magic.

I have gone so far as to purchase a good sous-vide heater, but I haven't yet gone and done the deed. Oh, I've cooked big T-Bone roasts in the oven to cook them through before showing them to the coals, but I haven't yet mustered up the courage to bag one and put it in a hot water bath. Old habits die hard. And my hide shirt makes me itch something fierce. But, I digress...

My lovely and talented (not to mention patient) wife has suggested cooking a chicken in the sous-vide, but to put some tasty items in the bag with the chicken to infuse the bird while cooking. Some herbs, butter, cat fur, whatever. That may indeed happen soon!

Sous vide is fun. Highly recommend the Youtube Channel: Sous Vide Everything

Also recommend seriouseats.com for info. For example, they do a great breakdown of pork tenderloin time and temp: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-pork-tenderloin-recipe.html

The thing with sous vide is that there is a money spot on time and temp. Sure a steak could go 5 hours, but you start getting textures that may not be what you are seeking.

BABYFACE

I actually get a nice smoke ring on my pellet on both brisket and pork etc. but to each their own I guess. Agree on the hickory and mixing with cherry or apple or even mesquite produces very different smoke flavor. Pellets are very convenient and I think that is what makes them desirable.. No doubt an offset is better for hardcore smoking.
No worries, we have our preferences. A buddy’s pellet smoker is awesome for like bacon wrapped dove or stuffed jalapeños. Awesome with fowl.

If I am doing just a couple racks of ribs, I use my giant Weber on a cart. I add a stainless bowl full of water below the ribs. My wood coals are on each side in their baskets.

Use the offset for briskets and bigger jobs. I do not wrap with during smoking. I use a water pan to retain moisture. Wrapping stops the smoking process. However, I do wrap in foil once removed from the smoker and let meat rest for 30 minutes. The meat is till hit the 30 minute rest allows for the juices to resettle back within the meat.

hiphopfroggy

b0fd9c580bf83d45407ed1a645716dba.jpg

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but got this electric guy a couple weeks ago and it is amazing. Going to be getting the rotisserie attachment soon.

Key Features
  • Quality all stainless steel construction with sleek contemporary styling
  • Precision thermostatic control with digital temperature read out
  • Thermometer probe for accurate meat temperatures
  • Tilt up heating element for easy cleaning
  • Removable dishwasher safe inner liners

This Fire Magic Electric Grill features a large heating element for faster and hotter cooking. The grill reaches temperatures up to 725 degrees Fahrenheit and offers a triple wall insulated body and double wall lid for maximum heat concentration. Easily control your cooking temperature with the precision thermostatic control system which keeps the internal temperature within 20 degrees of the desired setting and has a 2-hour safety shut-off. The included meat probe lets you monitor the internal temperature of your food and an alarms sounds when the desired temperature is reached. This grill comes with a removable warming rack and drip tray making clean up a breeze. Fire Magic Electric Grills are perfect for boats, condos and apartment balconies where open flame is prohibited. This Fire Magic Electric BBQ features a 252 square inch grilling area and two 12 W x 20 D side shelves. It operates on a 110V, 20 amp circuit. This Fire Magic Grill comes on a patio post and will not function in temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Ran across a great shop this morning: Terry Muehr Firewood, at 1638 E. Main in League City, about 6 blocks east of Manny's El Cubano Cigars.

Essentially, a big store full of wood. Seasoned woods of many types, including fruitwoods, all bagged or palletized and ready for cooking. Plenty of cooking doodads and other toys, too.

I was in that part of town overnight, and was going by my favorite cigar joint when I passed by the place and turned in. Wound up buying a couple bags of good pecan and some other goodies and yakking with the owner for a half an hour. If you're in the area, it's worth a stop!

HG73

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but got this electric guy a couple weeks ago and it is amazing. Going to be getting the rotisserie attachment soon.

Key Features

This Fire Magic Electric Grill features a large heating element for faster and hotter cooking. The grill reaches temperatures up to 725 degrees Fahrenheit and offers a triple wall insulated body and double wall lid for maximum heat concentration. Easily control your cooking temperature with the precision thermostatic control system which keeps the internal temperature within 20 degrees of the desired setting and has a 2-hour safety shut-off. The included meat probe lets you monitor the internal temperature of your food and an alarms sounds when the desired temperature is reached. This grill comes with a removable warming rack and drip tray making clean up a breeze. Fire Magic Electric Grills are perfect for boats, condos and apartment balconies where open flame is prohibited. This Fire Magic Electric BBQ features a 252 square inch grilling area and two 12 W x 20 D side shelves. It operates on a 110V, 20 amp circuit. This Fire Magic Grill comes on a patio post and will not function in temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
I got an electric grill similar to that. Mine is a CharBroil, certainly not as nice as this Fire Magic. Advantages: no gas bottles, won't flare up (unless you let the grate get real dirty, then you need a fire extinguisher), smaller, takes up less space, not much cleanup, etc. Disadvantages: takes longer than you would think to get hot, opening the lid (to check the meat, put out the grate fire) cools the grill and takes a while to heat back up, and I think there's a timer that shuts it off at about 3 hours. We have smoked a couple of briskets that were the best I have ever made (not saying much) but that timer means you have to finish it in the oven. Not that big a disadvantage IMO. If the darn thing had a reliable temp knob it would be just about perfect. Great for steaks, chops, burgers etc. Got rid of a big gas grill when we bought this, paid like $180. How much is the Fire Magic grill?

hiphopfroggy

I got an electric grill similar to that. Mine is a CharBroil, certainly not as nice as this Fire Magic. Advantages: no gas bottles, won't flare up (unless you let the grate get real dirty, then you need a fire extinguisher), smaller, takes up less space, not much cleanup, etc. Disadvantages: takes longer than you would think to get hot, opening the lid (to check the meat, put out the grate fire) cools the grill and takes a while to heat back up, and I think there's a timer that shuts it off at about 3 hours. We have smoked a couple of briskets that were the best I have ever made (not saying much) but that timer means you have to finish it in the oven. Not that big a disadvantage IMO. If the darn thing had a reliable temp knob it would be just about perfect. Great for steaks, chops, burgers etc. Got rid of a big gas grill when we bought this, paid like $180. How much is the Fire Magic grill?

Frequently bought together
Total price: $1,752.70

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Key Features

This looks like the man purse of grills.

hiphopfroggy

This looks like the man purse of grills.

I'm not sure what a man purse is but if you claim to be an expert on the subject I will take your word for it.

Grill holds a 750 temp with a thermometer probe and rotisserie option. All my guests so far (about 10) have raved about the results and inquired about how to get one.

Also, you kind of seem like a [ hundin].

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I'm not sure what a man purse is but if you claim to be an expert on the subject I will take your word for it.

Grill holds a 750 temp with a thermometer probe and rotisserie option. All my guests so far (about 10) have raved about the results and inquired about how to get one.

Also, you kind of seem like a [ hundin].
Ok. Lol.